Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 12:26 AM
Default Two person starter home, no CC, base game
This house was rejected and I don't know why. Does anybody have any input on it? I know they said I need to get a better view of the front of the house, but they also said that the architecture needs more work (it's a two person trailer-style home so I don't understand) and the landscaping doesn't suit the house.

Everything else got pretty good scores so I don't know what else to do.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  starterforeveryone.zip (2.10 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 5:28 AM
Good start! Some things that might help: mods tend to prefer houses that are not simple rectangles or squares. Is there somewhere that you can put a bump out or an indent or round corners, perhaps? Also it would help to add some terrain paint under the borders of the house, objects, trees. Perhaps add some bushes or flowers. I would suggest fewer street lamps and placing a tree or two inside the fence. Is there a driveway for the car - opening in the fence and terrain paint? (Maybe turn the car around the other way as if it's pulled in off the street.) If this house is for an adult and child or teen, I wonder if you might need less play equipment. I like that the railing on the deck seems to match the window trim. It might look better, though, if they were white like the picket fence or the picket fence matched the other wood. You could try different roof styles or different colors for the siding for a bit more contrast and/or color. I like the basic layout of the house. Consider swapping the kitchen appliances around so that there is a counter between the refrigerator and stove for food preparation. The sink in a counter near the table makes for efficient clean up. Perhaps swap walls for the bed with the patchwork quilt so that you have room to angle the blue chair and/or replace one of the dressers with another desk. Just some thoughts. Looking forward to updates!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 5:42 AM
Was it rejected or sent back with cr'd (changes required)?

The mod would have given you a reason and probably some suggestions in one or more of the boxes.

So first thing I notice is that your house is a rectangle. With a little bit of a tweak you can easily improve that. Try jutting out the middle or both ends by a few squares to give it some shape.

Secondly, are those the shots you used on your upload? It's important to get a good shot of the front of your lot, at about sim eye height.

The screenshots need to be at least 800 by 600. The more the better.

Take away the grid lines so the floor plan can be seen.

Outside use some terrain paint. Have a go at doing that, post back and I'll see what else I can do to help. I'm a queue mod but not on TS3.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 9:26 AM
I agree with what has been said so far, although one thing I would add is that it looks largely as if you've just placed objects straight out of the catalogue, hence the subject of mismatching colours already touched upon. I'd suggest that you at least recolour the internal doors and inner sides of the external windows and doors to match the wood trim of the wall covering. I'd then suggest adding tiled/lino flooring in the bathroom and kitchen area for added realism.

And when it comes to photos, I'd suggest taking them in Live Mode rather than Build/Buy Mode. Make sure that all the walls are up too. Ideally you'd have a picture of each side of the house, an overhead one of the layout and then maybe a couple of sim-height interior pictures, which are best taken in camera mode, which can be turned on and off by pressing the "Tab" button on your keyboard.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 2:22 AM
As I said, the house is meant to be based on a fancy trailer, so the rectangular shape is intentional.

They said the pictures were good except I need a shot of the front. That's the only thing they really said.

Mostly it was about the lot, and that's what I don't understand. I tried to make it "something for everyone" but did that make it too cluttered? Do the spawners go over the top?
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 7:55 AM
Someone disagreed with that post and didn't say why. I'm asking questions here so what's there to disagree WITH?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 8:41 AM
If it's meant to be a trailer you will need it to stand out more since it's only a rectangle. To be fancy it needs more cohesive decorating and lots more landscaping. If its meant for two adults you don't want any play equipment or children's beds as that suggest a family trailer. It's actually quite large and you could turn it into a small family trailer (2 adults 1 child) It's also on a largish piece of land. The more land the more landscaping is needed.

Grid lines can't be given a score on, but they detract from your lot and makes it harder to see, you want to advertise your lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 10:32 PM
Well, I based it on a trailer my uncle used to have, and that was only a rectangle but it was relatively fancy and on a nice plot. Is it TOO elaborate, with the pond and playground and everything?

As for the playground itself, I wanted to have it available for all ages, or at least for child and above. I threw in some random pregenerated sims (the two techie roomates) but I was thinking of two sims I made, a single mother and teenage daughter.

They didn't really comment on grid lines, only that I needed to have a front view. Other than that the photos were fine. That one wouldn't be the preview pic anyway.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 3:51 AM
Can hardly see your pond. You need to get in close and really show it off. Your pictures are your advertisement.

If you want this to be for kids then call it a family trailer not a two person. Make one master bedroom and one child bedroom.

You don't have to remove the grid lines, but it looks nicer and advertises your lot better with them gone. It's up to you.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 7:59 AM
The upload I made had more pictures than this. I just didn't think I had to show all of them in this thread. I have some closer to the pond in there.

It's still a two person trailer though, even if one of them is a child...
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#11 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 1:16 PM
I think Joandsarah77, fergus' mind and simmyRN, left some great suggestions when it comes to the lot itself. The images are fine, but it's always important to include an image taken from a sim's view. This one doesn't have to be the thumbnail of course
As suggested in the CR and the replies, the architecture could use some work. You can for example pull the bedroom (as showed in the image) forward to give it a less boxy look ^-^. The lot might also benefit from smaller windows, although that's just a suggestion.
And I think that the foundation might have a gap in the middle of it, unless you didn't add a foundation close to the stairs. This however is not the reason why your download got rejected.
The car also seems to be stuck between the fences. And I would try to not place any windows next to a corner. Of course that's just a matter of taste
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 10:19 PM
It doesn't have a gap. I'm curious as to why you say that.

The car...I went back and forth about that, since they don't pull out of the driveway and thus don't need to be anywhere. I suppose I could open up the back of it. Thanks!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#13 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 11:48 PM
Here's the gap I was talking about. ^-^
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 10:50 PM
Oh! That must be an optical illusion because no actual gap is there. It's just where the stairs come out. But good eye!
Instructor
#15 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 4:11 PM
Hey there!

I agree with suggestions for terrain paint and utilizing Create-a-Style--a little bit of both can go a long way. A lot of both can be crazily impressive. If you have in mind that this home is for a single mother with a child, let that guide you. A tighter focus is often better than "something for everybody". For example, right now you have a playground's worth of equipment, while it would be more realistic that a single mother might buy a only swing for her single child.

I'm okay with boxy houses. A lot of real life houses are just rectangles. In general though, boxy shapes are significantly harder to pull off, often requiring dazzling CASTing; careful build/buy choices; incorporating outdoor spaces in ways that offset boxiness; and creative, efficient usage of space within that box. Currently, your space usage is not great. Almost a third of your space is hallway of some sort. I feel that you could look into some other solutions. And at minimum have a 4x4 room for mom to have a double bed, in case she would ever like to not be single. And because pictures are better than me stumbling through an explanation, I've provided a suggestion in pic form.
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 9:40 PM Last edited by BlackjackGabbiani : 1st Feb 2017 at 1:09 AM.
Possibly. Though the hallway thing, as I said, I was basing it on a house I've been in. Though my sense of spacial relationships isn't the best and I know they managed to have at least one double bed in there...

Yours looks really nice!

Also, I know I sound really contrary and all, but I like that you all are telling me this. I just don't really see it working for the lot, especially the remake of the house. Sure I can take the playground out and all. But like I said, the house is based on a real one so I don't want to mess with it too much.
Instructor
#17 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 11:03 AM
Translating real life locations to Sims is never perfect, and the smaller the space the harder it is. Two humans can navigate a 3 ft (1 meter) hallway no problem; Sims, however will pitch a fit and pee themselves.
Inventor
#18 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 11:45 AM
I understand that your trailer home is based on one you know of, but it doesn't change the fact that it's quite squared with little use of forms and textures. Like your placement of windows; Why do the bathroom have the same window as the living room for instance?

Looking at different trailer homes they have different types of wall textures, window shapes.. a bit grungy and worn colors. Even though they look like a box, they have these small characteristic details.
http://dcuopost.com/wp-content/uplo...railer-home.jpg
http://dcuopost.com/wp-content/uplo...railer-home.jpg
http://www.wday.com/sites/default/f...g?itok=DCxYbeBW

And how about one big home, why not make a few on the same lot? That way you can play with different colored walls etc. Also try to make the interior fit together. Both cluttered/non cluttered homes have a certain style. You can even pick the most awful wallpapers, curtains, beddings and put them together as long as they all fit into a certain interior style. Like shabby chic or grunge.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...e24b7da0d6b.jpg something like this would look cool in one trailer.
https://casaslindas.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/101.jpg and maybe something like this in another

Too be honest if you haven't written that it was a trailer home, I would have never guessed it. I know that making a trailer park takes more time than one trailer, but since you would actually want people to download your creations the idea is to make something unique
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 10:42 PM
Ooh, multiples on the same lot sounds good. That way a pond and playground would be better suited, huh? I'll give that a shot!