Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 9:13 PM Last edited by Arenalia : 11th Oct 2017 at 4:12 PM.
Default TS2 - The solution to have a foundation "garage door" in an apartment ? [Solved - Thanks a lot!]
Hi there, first of all sorry if my English is bad, I'm French so... It's not my native language :')

So, I recently build a lot with a garage in the basement and the entrance of each apartment upstairs in another room.
I know that in order to make the "Garage door + Apartment door" work you have to put the two of them in the same room without any wall which can "separate" them from each other.
I also know that you can build balconies and gardens with fences for each apartments, so you can use a "normal" door trapped thanks to the fences ; The appartment architecture should be valid.

Then, I try to trap the garage doors as if it was a normal door by puting an invisible cc fence in front of each of them. (The red lines, of course) (Link here : http://modthesims.info/d/179868)

I also try to use the "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false" code and try to use the garage doors as "decorative" and unusable items.

Sadly, it didn't work as I expected... So I had several ideas ;
- Is it possible to change the Garage door category to the normal door one ? (In order to do like balconies or gardens)
- Or to the decoratives category (In order to use them only as a decoration, which seems to be the easiest way to give the illusion of an (un)usable and realistic item)
- If not, is it possible to take the model of the garage door (which is 5x1) and cut it in five 1x1 pieces which work as normal doors to give the illusion of the garage door "without" actually a garage door ?
- Maybe this cut version of the garage door already exist ? (Which I didn't find...)

I hope my English wasn't too bad so you can understand what I said and what I was asking for, have a nice day .

Edit : Oh, and by the way, I've never use SimPE... If someone who knows how it works can explain how to cut the door if I have to do this, if it's not too complicated, I will be really grateful!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 9:22 AM
What was the problem with your garage? Why didn't it work?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 2:47 PM
It didn't work because the Garage door is in the foundation and the appartment entrance is upstairs at the first floor. The only way to make it works is to put the garage door and the apartment entrance in the same room, at the same level.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 6:04 AM
Sorry for the lack of replies. More people build in TS3 and this is a very specific question regarding game mechanics. Hopefully our TS2 expert can help, or point you in the right direction. Calling @Joandsarah77

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 7:49 AM
I answered this on another thread, the apartment needs to be on the ground.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
dodgy builder
#6 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 2:10 PM
I should have said what instead of why didn't it work. Silly me. As Attuned said though, the technical experts is probably in ts3 mostly.

I had a little devil sitting on my shoulders telling me what to suggest, but I don't listen to devils The apartment being on the ground was one of them. I remember it being an issue. It changed for ts3 if I remember right.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 7th Oct 2017 at 1:01 AM
Hi @joandsarah77
I am not sure you understood the question. The OP understands that garages and apartments need to be on the same level. They tried using an invisible fence so the game would recognize the garage. This didn't work, so they had several different alternatives (see second spoiler).

If a decorative only garage will be enough for you, @Arenalia - is there a reason you can't use it as it is? Will an unusable garage door, that is not classified as decor, make problems in the game? Also, Welcome to Mentoring4 Builders!

New at Simszoo
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Oct 2017 at 1:55 AM
Garages can only be on the ground as far as I know, hence the rest of the apartment building must be on the ground too. I know no way around that except to rebuild it all on the ground. I don't see how an invisible fence will help at all. Even if it did work, how would the garage be usable? Perhaps it could be decorative only, although that seems kind of sad. Perhaps having this lot zoned as residential would make more sense.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Oct 2017 at 7:41 PM
Oh, sorry I've just realized that there were more answers.
First of all, thank you all for trying to help me
Yup I do know why it does not work, and when I just delete all the garage door my terrain is valid!

@Joandsarah77 ; Here, I don't really "care" if my garage doors can be usable or not, I know that I can't make them work as Garage doors so I'm just trying to give the illusion of an actual garage door even if it doesn't works, just for the houses appearance.
So yeah, I was wondering if, for instance, it was possible to chose the existing 3D model of those Garage doors and transform them into the decorative objects category so I can place them with moveObjects on & boolProp SnapObjectstoGrid false.

@Volvenom ; That's alright don't worry ^^

@attuned : I tried to use the garage doors and made them not usable by placing them with moveObjects on & boolProp SnapObjectstoGrid false, but the only fact that there were Garage doors in the foundations made the terrain invalid. Placing a simple decorative object with those two cheats works and didn't make the game crash, so if the Garage door is considerate by the game as a simple decorative object (which cannot open, of course), it would give the illusion of garages in the foundations and it will be ok for me then
Theorist
#10 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 2:44 AM
@Arenalia .. in my wanderins through sim sites I found somethin that, if you can make it yourself (or find someone one who can :P), might work for you. Since you don't care if it's decorative don't have a door at all. Make a wall paint/ layer/ picture .... not sure if I'm sayin it right to what ... ohhh .. like a mural. I know I've seen others who've made like decal stuff like graffiti that goes over the wall that's there.

Would that work?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 3:15 PM
@CaliBrat, yeah! I've seen some of those wallpapers on the internet but... They are too flat x) (I'm kinda perfectionnist...)... I like the idea to have the best illusion possible with the real 3D appareance of the garage door, I don't know if it makes any sense ?
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 4:15 AM
Hi Arenalia
I think you should try the WCIF (where can I find) section in TS2. I think you need a wider audience to help you search for decor garage doors, or something that will act like deco garage doors. Good luck!

New at Simszoo
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 11:58 PM
Garage doors can be placed in apartments.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=421864

It's been a while since I built this, but I think the game allowed to change to an apartment base because the garage is not connected to the apartment with other doors.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 4:11 PM
OMG @HugeLunatic you've just saved my life! It was, in fact, how I was supposed to do it, no more "Invalid terrain" message or "0 appartment" in the lot! Thank you so much ♥

So, I just put the invisible fence that I have mentioned earlier (http://modthesims.info/d/179868) not in front of all the Garage doors but BEHIND them in order to put them outside of each apartments!

(Oh and by the way, one of the apartment have a little secret door in order to hide a part of their life that they don't want anyone else to know about. My idea here was to give, for 2 of my Sims, a secret training area and office for their Spies careers)