Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#376 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 5:23 AM
Having something at the end of the piers is much better than having it end in nothing, which in my opinion, renders the pier useless.

I think the problem lies in the fact that the pier is oversized, as is the platform at the end, making them incongrous with the rest of the town. My suggestion would be to shave off some parts of the pier, making it smaller and less of a square. I would also suggest making it more of a rectangular shape so that the sides don't stick out so much. Something like a ballroom or pavillion would work well on the end.

Anyways, awesome work (and I can't wait to see what you do for the sky and clouds!)
Advertisement
Instructor
#377 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 2:53 PM
I like the pier as well, but agree with the others that it might be a bit too big.

Perhaps make the end of it a T shape, so keep the width the same, but make the length about 1/2 (or even 1/3) of what it is now. The end could be something as simple as a fishing pier. Perhaps only certain kinds of fish could be caught from the end of there? That would give it a purpose.

But I like it!

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Forum Resident
#378 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 5:07 PM
I like the idea, but something about the square at the end didn't sit with me. So I looked up some pictures of regular piers, and I think it's the island of sand around the base that makes it feel 'off' to me. Either it should be surrounded by a walkway like the original pier (which would be hard to do), or if it's to be an amusement park area, I found a pic that's a block surrounded by retaining wall. Or, like Creations suggested, smaller T shape seems quite common. Just keep the sand at the base minimal?

I do like the idea, though.
Field Researcher
#379 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 12:57 AM
Yeah-I personally don't care for the slab at the end of the pier-it would be cool, but with the limitations of the game, it's impossible as of now to make a truly realistic pier without putting in boatloads of custom content-and I know too much of that will turn some away.

"It's written amazingly well... but if you don't take out the part that says, "I don't care if you kill L", I'll die." -L Lawliet
Instructor
#380 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 4:40 AM
I think it could still work, but it seems too large. I think it looks a little too much like an island and not like a manmade bit of rough foundation. Also I think it may look a little better if the CAW foundation itself was taller and more jagged, and tapered off quickly into the ocean (rather than have beaches), thus making the support pillars themselves shorter.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#381 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 7:08 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 12th Apr 2012 at 7:21 AM.
Well, I've been working a little bit more on the pier. Unfortunately I'm still not very happy with it ; it leaves a lot to be desired. Should I continue on with this pier version , switch to the next, something with a base of crushed boulders/rocks

, or scrap it . If I choose to scrap it, I 'll just add the stuff I planned to put on it someplace in the yet to be built vineyard.

Well, we'll just use the little buttons at the bottom as a poll

If you like it hit the disagree button,

If you want rid of the pier hit agree ,

If you like the idea of crushed rock hit unhelpful,

If Skmt's solid cement block appeals to you click helpful,

and if Skoopy_Loopy's short cement base is your cup of tea just hit funny.

pictures
mature minion
retired moderator
#382 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 8:00 AM
Love the buoy recolour, think I agree with you about trying pier 2.0 with a boulder-y / crushed rock base as well. Keep up the astounding work!
Instructor
#383 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 11:40 AM
^ I'm a bit shit at getting my mental pictures into words, I basically meant what this user said. Boulder-y / crushed rock base. Just taller, so the pillars aren't so long.

Also, that interior is flawless! :D

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
dodgy builder
#384 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 1:28 PM
If you can dig that pier bridge into the ground and make the plattform or what it's called lower and less square that would be nice. Would it be possible to just make the pier and bridge a sandy or stone thing with kind of organic round shape? More like the picture you linked too. Your pier just looks very industriel at the moment.
Instructor
#385 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 2:47 PM
I'm voting for scrap-it for now, simply because this isn't really a pier. It's a bridge to an island. Unless you can fully mask all the land by rocks, and continue placing rocks from the land out to the lot, it'll still look like a bridge to an island.

Since everything else in this world looks so amazing, I'd hate for you to have something in it that you weren't completely satisfied with.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Alchemist
#386 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 3:48 PM
I like the boulder-y/crushed rock idea. And that interior is just...wow! It's so realistic! The placement of furniture, the colors just everything! Can I have some of your skills?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#387 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 5:45 AM
Ha! Was wondering why your post had been marked as unhelpful and hidden, Ouerbacker!

I'd really like to see it with rocks before you totally scrap it. Making it less "square" would really help as well, I think.
dodgy builder
#388 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 11:10 AM
That's awesome! ... and in his own thread! haha. I think it was pretty helpful actually, I very much liked the picture of the pier. You're a victim of your own popularity I guess Or perhaps Ouerbacker clicked 7 times unhelpful on his own post!
Scholar
#389 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 6:59 PM
I don't usually jump into polls and such, especially in world construction, as I think it's such a personal vision. However, I like the idea of the pier, just would suggest making it much smaller - just a tile or two larger than the bridge in both directions. Then, I believe, it would look more like a fishing pier or observation platform if that's the look you're going for. Of course, it's your choice. Being a novice / amateur at world making, I'd hardly consider making judgement on your lovely world and skills.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#390 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 1:14 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 14th Apr 2012 at 6:30 AM.
Since the votes are so close on whether to scrap the end of the pier or keep it, I 'm just going to go with my gut feeling and scrap it .

and, well, I got into a random building mood and built myself a old spanish mission. Though this might not match any of the other buildings that I've built , It still makes sense with the theme. From 1789 to 1823 twenty-one missions were built along the southern edge of California. Should I keep this or build the red wooden church that I originally planned to build? This lot will function as a graveyard.

edit

new house - A couple weeks ago I said to myself ,'' I'm not going to paint any more of my house's salmon pink/red/orange''. Well, at least it looks nice in salmon.
Scholar
#391 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 3:31 AM
I like it! Very California-y. Californish? ...Californical?

In any case, it's true to the theme.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Lab Assistant
#392 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 3:42 AM
I've been following this post for a while, and I love this world! I say you should keep the mission. I love it!

King of the Lab! Hodgens has nothing over me!
Mad Poster
#393 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 5:33 AM
The mission definitely adds a historical air to the town, but I see no harm in having a second church/ chapel somewhere else on the map.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#394 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 7:06 PM
Well, I decided to change the color on the house. I would've kept the previous color scheme , but there was a house ,right up the street, painted a very similar color.

Instructor
#395 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 7:22 PM
The first thing I thought when I saw it was: wow that's dark.
But it actually isn't, it's really beautiful and realistic, I think it's even prettier than before (if that's somehow possible )

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#396 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 8:30 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 14th Apr 2012 at 8:43 PM.
The blue is definitely a refresher from the earthtones you use in your other houses!

For the mission, it might be a good idea if both towers were identical, or if you left it at one tower, as given the game's limitations, the two towers make the whole thing a bit clunky.

What I think you're using as the source:

What might work a bit better:

or
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#397 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 5:00 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 20th Apr 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Well, I don't have any updates today . The last few days I've been working on ini files. Unfortunately, I've made very little progress. From the looks of JJE's post a number of you would prefer a different mission building, If you would like for me to build another,different structure hit helpful. Those who want the current one to stay can just hit funny. We're staying away from the unhelpful button this time. There must be a gap of at least four votes between the two for me to build the new one. I don't care much for tearing down buildings that look semi-good.

If we end up going with a new building , I'll be picking one of the following . These are all simple and straightforward. They won't dwarf the other buildings in town.

http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-missions/3sf-dolores.html

http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-missions/19san-juan.html

http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-missions/13la-puris.html

http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-missions/6santa-cruz.html

http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-missions/7san-juan.html

Hm, I need to come up with something to put here.
Field Researcher
#398 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 10:48 AM
The coastal feel of the neighborhood is very strong and nice, I'm curious to see how this turns out!

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer..

Grandpa Joost 1996 †
Forum Resident
#399 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 6:26 PM
I like the mission as is. I also don't like any of the proposed alternate missions any better, so I say go with your creative flow - that's what it's for! If you're happy with it as it is, then it should stay.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#400 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 10:53 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 30th Apr 2012 at 6:54 PM.

Hm, I need to come up with something to put here.
Page 16 of 31