Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 3:48 PM Last edited by gemmawolf : 12th Jul 2015 at 1:51 PM.
How to recategorize sims3pack hair? - Solved!
Hi! I've been looking around for help on getting custom hair to work for sims in the shower/tub, and I found that I need to enable the hair for naked use. I would be able to do this if the hair was a .package file, but as it turns out it's a .sims3pack and I don't believe there's a .package version floating around. (It's a fandom character hair, so pretty important on a personal level, haha!)
The threads and tutorials I've found links to haven't been of much help I'm afraid. I've got S3PE and S3OC, and I'm ok with downloading other programs so long as it's commonly used and therefore safe - I've had enough computer problems in my time - but I guess I need it explaining to me clearly since I'm not wholly familiar with technical jargon. Maybe if I can get my head around this I might try creating stuff in the future, who knows?
If I could somehow get a .package version of the hair 'out' of the .sims3pack, I could probably take it from there on my own from what information I've found on my own.
Or alternatively, is there a way of editing the .sims3pack without all that faffing around?
I've tried going by the DCCache file but I can't find it. And I tried using TSRW to edit it but couldn't work out how to load/open the .sims3pack as someone suggested. But maybe I was doing something wrong.
Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something crucial? Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 9:08 PM
Okay, to use TSRW to recategorize sims3packs, when you open the program, it will ask you to Create New Project, Open Project, or Recent Project.
Click Create New Project.
A bunch of thumbnails will appear for clothes and hair and objects and whatever. At the very bottom there's a box thumbnail that says NEW IMPORT. Click that!

New Import is what opens up sims3packs for you to fiddle with, rather than using EA's game items.

Where it says File to Import there's a Browse button. Click Browse to open your computer's directory.
Next to the File Name text bar you'll see a dropdown list that says TSR Workshop project .wrk (that shows only .wrk files), Packages (that shows only package files), and lastly Sims3packs (which of course only filters sims3packs). Click Sims3packs.
Find the sims3pack you want to edit, wherever you have it saved to your PC.
Click Open, Next, and Finish. (Don't fill in any of the text boxes you see; they're not important. Just click the buttons till TSRW loads the hair for you.)

NOTE: If the Sims3pack is user friendly it will open in TSRW with no errors or problems. If TSRW stops you, there's something up with the hair and you're going to have to convert the sims3pack into a package file using Delphy's Multi Extractor Tool . I'm assuming you know how to edit package file categories with S3PE, so you're good.

Anyway, back to editing sims3packs!
If TSRW doesn't stop you it loads the hair just fine, then you'll want to look at the long list of...stuff to the right of the screen.
Forget about the other tabs you see, all you need to ficus on is the tab called PROJECT. Under it is all the information about the item: Title, Age groups, Gender, and most importantly for you: CATEGORIES.

Click +Categories and a dropdown list will show you exactly what you're looking for. Tick whatever categories you want the hair to show up in: Naked, Everyday, Formal, Sleep, etc etc etc. Naked is what lets the hair show up in the shower/tub.

Once you're satisfied, you just click the File menu, and where the Red box says Export, click To Sims3pack. And TSRW will create a brand new sims3pack for you with all the changes to the hair saved. You don't have to save your work if you don't want to; it's not necessary for quick category recats.

Hope this helps!

(NOTE: Honestly though, I recommend going the Delphy Multi Extractor route and changing the file into a package and editing it in S3PE. Package files are just quicker and cleaner to use, and if you mess up at least you don't have to go through drama with the Launcher to uninstall the darn thing. But at least you've learned something about TSRW today, so yeah. Just saying.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 10:36 PM
Thank you so, so much for the reply, it's exactly what I needed! I'll have to give it a go - I'll probably try both methods just so I know how - and I'll report back. Don't think I'll have any problems though. Thanks again
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 1:35 PM
In both methods, when I go to select the categories, naked is already selected even though it's not been behaving like that in-game. I've made an 'edit' using TSRWorkshop, I unticked then ticked again, so I'm going to try it in game. It doesn't help that I'm not familiar with making CC so I won't know if anything is unusual, haha! I've got MasterController so I'm going to see if I can change it in the mirror or CAS while in the naked outfit. I think I tried that before and it didn't work but you never know. Urgh, why is this so difficult?

Also when I loaded the mesh in Workshop it showed a head with the hair, an invisible torso, and pants and shoes. Is this normal? It was marked as a hairstyle though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 1:51 PM
Well, the original hairs seem to be working fine by using Stylist in MasterController to change the naked hairstyle, but I don't understand why the game changed the naked hair in the first place if they were perfectly capable of being used in the shower?
But at least I've found a way to make it work, and know how to re-categorise CAS parts, so thank you!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 5:13 PM
That IS weird, how the game ignored the Naked category on the hair. #EAdoesn'treallycareaboutus

Yup, Master Controller fixes everything, amen! Glad you got the hair working in the end!

(And yes, it's normal to have the body parts invisible in TSRW when dealing with hair. I don't know if it's a glitch or what, but it does that to me, too. You have to sometimes reset the age/gender or reload the +Shirt / +Bottom / +Shoes sections (under the Projects tab) to get the viewer to reload the body parts. No biggie though; as long as you can see the hair.)