Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 3:43 PM
Default Ts3 with Ts2 style aging?
Have any of you guys tried this yet? It comes with a few core mods I think. I haven't, but I plan on doing it once I get my new computer. The aging was something I really missed from Ts2 and I really don't know why I haven't done it yet. What are you guys experiences with it? Is it more similar to Ts2 after that?

My blog ---> Here
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 4:11 PM
What exactly is the difference? o_o Minus the young adult stage, I guess?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 4:33 PM
^only the active household ages. And no, I haven't tried it. I like TS3-style just fine.
Alchemist
#4 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 4:39 PM
I have tried it, yes (Pescado's AwesomeMod). Combined with turning off Story Progression so that they don't marry/spawn/etc. on their own, I managed to achieve a rather TS2-like gameplay. The only thing I noticed they still did without my input was get jobs if they had none, but that's not too bad. Plus, I have seen a mod that allows sims to register themselves as Unemployed, which solves the problem.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 6:26 PM
unemployment isn't a mod, it's from a patch

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 7:08 PM
TS2 style ageing is the only way for me, I love to play all my sims and I don't want to miss anything. I don't understand why EA thought everybody is going to love TS3 style ageing. Thank God for mods.
Alchemist
#7 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starved4pizza
What exactly is the difference? o_o Minus the young adult stage, I guess?

I'm scratching my head too?
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 8:08 PM
I'm slightly confused, but then I'm new to TS3 (used to play TS2 a lot in the past).

I thought that turning off 'Story Progression' would stop the aging of those you are not playing at the momment. Have I missed something?

Currently I'm playing with 'Story Progression' turned on since I bought TS3 a couple of weeks ago, but I had not yet decided if I liked that feature or not. If I decide I don't like it, do I need another mod to get it to properly stop?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bruinen
I thought that turning off 'Story Progression' would stop the aging of those you are not playing at the momment. Have I missed something?
Story progression has no impact at all on whether or not the sims (in your household or not) age. It affects the actions of the sims you are not playing. So they don't get married, have children, etc. if story progression is off. Aging is either on or off for the entire neighborhood (including NPCs like maids, babysitters, etc.) - there is no setting in the vanilla game to have aging on for some sims and off for others.
Theorist
#10 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 8:50 PM
No I haven't tried it but I really should... I love multi-family/rotational type play but I get a little overwhelmed when I try that in TS3.

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#11 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
Story progression has no impact at all on whether or not the sims (in your household or not) age. It affects the actions of the sims you are not playing. So they don't get married, have children, etc. if story progression is off. Aging is either on or off for the entire neighborhood (including NPCs like maids, babysitters, etc.) - there is no setting in the vanilla game to have aging on for some sims and off for others.

OK, thanks that helps.

So if it's off then if your sims aren't getting married and having children, surely they will all age and die and then there is no one left (because I thought Story Progression also controlled people moving in) and your neighborhood slowly empties of other families.

This seems like a flaw in the option, unless I've missed something... but them it wouldn't the the first flawed idea from EA.

I think if I decide not to use Story Progression I will also need this mod. Does anyone have a link to where I can get it?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#12 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
So they don't get married, have children, etc. if story progression is off.
Technically, they don't do any of these things with Story Progression ON, either. GETTING married implies an active process of marriage-ating. They don't GET married, they just suddenly ARE married, usually to some total stranger they didn't actually know, in the dead of night.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
#13 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 9:47 PM
I've found a post which indicates I'm right, that with aging on and Story Progression off you will end up with an empty world.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...948#post2737948

To me this makes the Story Progression option a bit of a useless one. People might not move house, suddenly be married, new kids appear etc... but if you spend a long time playing one family you will come back to another to find them all dead.

It seems the only sensible ways are either TS2 style aging or Story Progression on. Currently I'm plaing with progression on, but I wish I could find this mod mentioned above, all my searches are finding is aging mods to change the length of time in each section.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 9:59 PM
Bruinen: did you search for the mod called awesomemod? (mentioned in post #4)

Personally, without mods to enable real storyprogression or ts2 style aging, thesims3 is unplayable.

My blog ---> Here
Test Subject
#15 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 10:13 PM
Ah sorry, missed that name. I've found thier site now. Thanks for the help.
Theorist
#16 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 10:55 PM
I'm trying it out now, I hope I like it!

One question, anyone know if days of the week will be consistent through the world? I'm hoping they won't be...

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 11:07 PM
I'm just downloading it now as well.

Don't know about the days of the week. If I find out anything I'll feed back.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Technically, they don't do any of these things with Story Progression ON, either. GETTING married implies an active process of marriage-ating. They don't GET married, they just suddenly ARE married, usually to some total stranger they didn't actually know, in the dead of night.

As soon as I read this comment, the song "The Dead Of Night" by Depeche Mode started playing on my computer.

OT: Regarding aging, Twallin's mod also enabled TS2-style aging (along with the ability to put households in stasis) which might be another option to look at.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Forum Resident
#19 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katya_stevens
OT: Regarding aging, Twallin's mod also enabled TS2-style aging (along with the ability to put households in stasis) which might be another option to look at.

Twallan's Story Progression mod also enabled TS2-style aging pretty well. Plus it's not a core mod, so you can have that slot open for other nifty core mods that come along. Or if you're a handy gal/lad, you can use awesomemod and twallan's mod together.

I hate the default story progression. It's the one thing that would keep me from actually playing the game. I have a feeling that it doesnt follow whatever aging setting you put it on. I was playing a house full of toddlers and switched to another house for 4 days. Came back and everyone was a teenager. Like WTF!
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
One question, anyone know if days of the week will be consistent through the world? I'm hoping they won't be...

From what I can tell it IS consistent.

I have TS2 aging on. I've checked the setting in the config file and I know Awsome mod is active, from some of the other features showing up in my game.

I went into house 1 and let it run for a game hour then exited and saved. I went into house 2 and let it run for arround a game hour then exited and saved. I went back to house 1. The time of day was the same as the time it had just been in house 2 and NOT the same as the time it had been when I previously left house 1.

I think they will also do things and won't be exactly where you left them (like they were in TS2).

However for me if Story Progression does not happen AND they don't age then I'm happy with that.
Theorist
#21 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 12:18 AM
That's what I suspected, thanks

Hi I'm Paul!
Forum Resident
#22 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 11:08 AM
I just recently started to play S3 again and I HAD to get Awesomemod with it's S2 aging-feature. I can't play without it, not a second. It was enough for me when I forgot story progression on and all the kids from Sunset Valley had grown into teenagers after couple of days.

MaraLetsPlay on Youtube - Sims Let's Plays and Livestreams
Mara @ LJ - Downloads and stories
TS2 Patch and Pre-made Sim Archive | TS2 Townie/NPC Archive | TS3 Pre-made Sim Archive
Mad Poster
#24 Old 17th Jan 2015 at 6:45 AM
Kaiko you already had one post deleted for necroing this very thread. Why the hell would you make another one? :/
Locked thread