Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:05 PM Last edited by Honshu Wolf : 19th Oct 2011 at 5:23 PM.
The Pets expansion pack actually came a week earlier than was expected so I was able to see how it fares out and to say the truth, Pet's been running flawlessly so far without any glitches (yet).

Interestingly, I randomly discovered a new gnome for the Pets EP sniffing the tomato bushes: Apparently, it's some kind of a Chihuahua gnome whose name I totally can't recall. Carter something something... Picture is attached below btw.

And another peculiar thing that I discovered during my first playthrough was the uncanny and otherworldly ice-cream truck that just happened to visit my lot everyday at 2:00 am to tintinnabulate. WTH is wrong with that thing? It totally didn't help that the darkened windows of the truck made me wonder if there's even anyone inside the thing.

UPDATE: A vid on Youtube of the suspicious truck in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdGWNwbgQ4U
Tell me there isn't something wrong about a kid buying ice cream from a black square... . Looks more like a pedo-truck if you ask me.
Screenshots

Inexperienced Sims making baked alaskas = Molotov cocktails.
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#77 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:08 PM
I have the game, preordered and all, but haven't bothered patching and installing just yet. I have some saves with loads of CC that I'm not anxious to lose (my poor Avendales have been through enough, what with the free vacation glitch) and all the bugs I am hearing about. However, I can't stop looking at my cellophane wrapped game and going "should I...".

I had Pets in TS2 and, from what I am hearing, they're better here. Which is great since that was one of my least favorite EPs. However, one thing that annoyed me then and looks like it will probably annoy me now is the pets wandering around, opening doors on their own, leaving paddocks. Dern it, if I keep my door closed my animals should stay inside! I also had high hopes to make an animal shelter where my sims could go rescue animals and give them forever homes. Not looking like that is a possibility from what I have read either.

However, I am still excited to play but not so overly so that I am going to freak if everything is not "just so". Only other thing I am worried about is my graphics card. It seems to work just fine now but it's not on the list here or on the official forums of supported cards. So I hope that I don't need a new one.

Quote: Originally posted by Honshu Wolf
And another peculiar thing that I discovered during my first playthrough was the uncanny and otherworldly ice-cream truck that just happened to visit my lot everyday at 2:00 am to tintinnabulate. WTH is wrong with that thing? It totally didn't help that the darkened windows of the truck made me wonder even if there's anyone inside the thing...

2 am ice cream truck with dark windows??? Watch out for your kiddies!

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Mad Poster
#78 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:22 PM
The homes are Fantastic in Appaloosa Plains! D:

I'm even more please that there are community lots from other EPs tailor made to the town... this is just... wow... o.o

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#79 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:50 PM
Has anyone else noticed that pet's eye shine shows up black instead of white? It's starting to bother me, I wonder why it does that?
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#80 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:54 PM
Oh, I've also heard there are not horse trailers. The only way to get your horse from your house to wherever you want it is to take it yourself or tell it to go alone? Also, can you board horses at the equestrian center?

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#81 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:54 PM
Hmm, my lag is getting slightly better and I have no mods and no CC (never did, except for Twallan's mods).

My only real wish for the Sims 3 Pets is for the horses to STAY PUT. Then my city residents in Bridgeport could own horses by boarding them at the Equestrian Center (which miracle of miracles, I fit into Bridgeport by deleting the large park). The horses are constantly trying to escape, though, and even my horses who live in the suburb part with homes built just to accomodate them get out of their stalls and run around the neighborhood. *sigh*

My cats and dogs, though, they're good. They don't stay try to leave.
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Attercap

I really like that, through proper reinforcement, you can change a pet's personality. Just like a real animal, reinforcement seems to be stronger if you catch them in (or right after) the act.

Yes I thought that was really nicely done as well, better than in The Sims 2 They get 'bonus' traits as well. Like, my dog didn't have the Playful trait.. but got it after playing around with some other animals in the park and reinforcing him for it love it!

Had some more time to play, and I must say I'm just in love with the new world. Everything looks great and I'm having a great time exploring the outskirts of town looking for wild animals. The animations are very realistic, like how a dog stretches and yawns after it just woke up and such.

Overall I'm very impressed with EA's eye for detail this expansion, if only they did this sooner
Had a few minor glitches (routing issues, one time one of the cats turned into a lanky human before swapping back quickly again )
but nothing drastic yet. I'm happy

Quote: Originally posted by secretsim
My only real wish for the Sims 3 Pets is for the horses to STAY PUT. Then my city residents in Bridgeport could own horses by boarding them at the Equestrian Center (which miracle of miracles, I fit into Bridgeport by deleting the large park). The horses are constantly trying to escape, though, and even my horses who live in the suburb part with homes built just to accomodate them get out of their stalls and run around the neighborhood. *sigh*

Oh yes, that's my wish too. I still go kinda 'eh' when I see a horse, saddled and all, running around town without it's rider. It makes me think ' oh noes an escaped horse! Quick! Someone grab it!"
Test Subject
#83 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladyhawke976

The graphics are very pretty but the frustration level will begin to rise when more than one sim and animal comes onto a lot. At times my sims two horses would be in such a snit that they would wind up intersecting each other, appearing to be melded together, criss-crossing each other. And there they would stay. Stuck. For a sim hour or two, unable to move, before yet another path fail.

I have to wonder how powerful your computer is. While I did have a few path fails in Riverview (the only other save I currently have), Appaloosa Plains seems built to reduce path fail in the animals. It seems to me that maybe your graphic card/processing power isn't high enough. I used to have a lot more problems like you are experiencing on my older computer.
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 8:07 PM
Did anyone preorder pets from Amazon? Mine hasn't come yet and I bought it like a month ago... What is happening....

CHOCKLAT.
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmie
Did anyone preorder pets from Amazon? Mine hasn't come yet and I bought it like a month ago... What is happening....

I did, but I got it through Amazon Prime so got release day delivery. Did you get a shipment notification and/or confirmed that it's actually being sent through amazon.com and not a 3rd party seller (sometimes cheaper prices come from the various amazon sellers--at the cost of shipping speed)?
Test Subject
#86 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 9:23 PM
I have a question.... are small and large dogs able to mate?
Space Pony
#87 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 9:33 PM
I played Pets all last night. I love this ep. In my opinion it's one of the better ones EA has made. It's also so much better then Pets in TS2.

I have a bit of lag in my game, probably because I'm on a laptop, and I have all the eps, and sps, except for TL. And I did have one incident with a messed up dog, but it went back to normal after a couple minutes.

The horses are my favourite. I had my simself buy one, and I found t funny watching her learn to ride, it reminds me so much of myself. The slowness of the horses didn't bug me at all. (I just reminded myself of when I learned how to ride, I hardly wanted Paddy to go faster then a walk, once in a while, maybe trot. xD) But I do like how when you get better at the riding skill, you can gallop everywhere.

Cats, I'm in love with them as well. I love how they can hunt, and gift someone their prey. Though I don't like how my cat, Nova, took forever on managing to get one, and she was level eight. All I ended up with were tons of feathers and leaves, and one snake skin. I also like how they can climb on furniture and sleep. My favourite thing I figured out was if a sim is sitting, a cat can jump up on their lap.

Dogs I haven't really played with, just started to maybe fifteen minutes ago, and already he has fleas. (-_-) And I took him for a walk as well. He stopped too much, sniffing the ground (a lot like a real dog would).

The new town, I like, it reminds me kinda of my actual town. It doesn't have too much in it, and that alone helps with the no lagging thing. I got excited about the ice cream truck, and when my sim was getting an ice cream cone, I kept expecting someone to grab her and pull her in (can't help it, the windows are all dark, it's creepy).

Overall, I think this was a great addition to Sims. And I'm honestly surprised EA managed to come up with this, and make it so good. I had very low expectations for this expansion, especially after Generations (which I still do like as well). And was very happily surprised when it turned out good.

My Sims 4 Random Legacy can be found here.
My simblr .
Inventor
#88 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 9:49 PM
My deer are spawning as completely black deer.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Test Subject
#89 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 9:58 PM Last edited by sci_fi40 : 19th Oct 2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Typos
Quote: Originally posted by iluvevry1
I have a question.... are small and large dogs able to mate?

Yep...I've got one of each and they're expecting puppies!!! :-) Not sure how they're going to grow up though, well have to wait and see how that works out.

Quote: Originally posted by secretsim

Not sure how you'd manage in the city, but on home lots you can build a paddock using fences, put in a gate, and then lock the gate. There's a option to lock it so pets can't use it. That should keep your horse in when your not using it, then just unlock the gate when you want to go for a ride.
Instructor
#90 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ravclye
I have to wonder how powerful your computer is. While I did have a few path fails in Riverview (the only other save I currently have), Appaloosa Plains seems built to reduce path fail in the animals. It seems to me that maybe your graphic card/processing power isn't high enough. I used to have a lot more problems like you are experiencing on my older computer.

Actually, no. I have a fairly high end computer. Today I spent the day messing with cats though and growing some carrots (Level 5 gardening). I guess I have a thing for horses because I tried the Jockey career for her husband again.

He reached level 10 in riding and won every race or competition he was in. He and the horse were BFF's but it was a bit exhausting. The horse wants to exercise a lot so I would click on Gallop Around. It was a path fail every time. I would move him out of the corral and onto the street and a few times he would take off but during others I had to manuver him into the right position so as not to get the path fail.

On a couple of occasions I had to zoom into where he was to find him after he had been running about town. During those occasions he got himself stuck by the science facility on a hill or next to a wall and would not move because of the path fail. I would have to click on him and move him over a few feet before he would do anything I asked of him.

Thus far I have only seen this issue with the horse. The cats didn't seem to have a problem at all. Also what wild horses I came across would seem stuck as well on occasion. Not all, but some. For example he came up to three wild horses. Two adults and a foal. The foal was fused within one of the adults while the other horse was directly in the middle of a lampost. After several turn abouts they managed to right themselves and ran off.

I love the horse animations as far as brushing, hugging, and especially cleaning the hooves goes, they are very realistic, but my horse seemed to have a knack for walking backwards at times. After finishing a jumping course yesterday he walked backwards all the way to the beginning of the course when my sim asked him to go again.

The cats were cute. Having 7 of my own IRL the pounce interaction tickled me. I adore it when one of my own throw their ears back, flick their tails and dive bomb a brother or sister. It's just great and always adds welcomed amusement to my days. However, after these virtual cats shredded my sims newspapers, plants, couches and the sims themselves I decided to pace myself and have one cat.

So, a short time later my sim is eating an ice cream cone from the truck that has been parked outside his house for hours, is PO'ed because he got brain freeze from it, the cat is playing in the tub and drinking from the toilet and his son just grew to a toddler and was having a meltdown on the floor.

Excited about toddler/pet interactions and ignoring his tantrum for the moment, I was a bit sad to learn there wasn't any. If I remember correctly, I recall my toddler being able to snuggle the cat, and or other animals, in the sims 2. The poor animal looked like a tick about to pop, but it was adorable. Now, I see the only options a toddler has with an animal is to change the name or the coat color/collar. Animals in turn can only sniff them, although my cat did want to hiss at him when he was born. Repeatedly.

Also, when I made him grow into a child he couldn't mount the horse. I was hoping kids could ride, but apparently not.

But honestly, in my first run of the day my sims had one horse, two cats, a goldfish named Nemo, and a toddler named Vincent. Between that and working, the parents were falling asleep standing up. Like I said in a earlier post, I would leave them to their own devices but sometimes they are not so bright. My one kitten ran around the yard all day until her picture turned yellow, slowly melding into red. Still running, I had to stop her because her bladder was about to explode, she was starving to death and someone was about to get shredded because her need to scratch was starting to manifest itself.

During this time the baby was screaming from the lack of socializing. The mother was exhausted and wanted to do nothing but sleep. The other cat had killed their potted plants and their horse was ticked because he wanted to run but couldn't find a path even in the middle of the street where he could head in any direction. The father decided to read a book while I was taking care of the kitten, the kibble bowl was empty, their horses stall was dirty, the wife had broke both the dishwasher and shower (Seriously?), as if he had nothing better to do than curl up with a good book.

So now, I am down to having one kid, one cat. If the family wants to see another animal right now they can look out the window or pet one of the dozen or so strays that finds it's way to their front door to sleep every night.

I'm exhausted and am going to try again tomorrow. One of my real cats wants my attention and if I don't go and see to him soon, my sims won't be the only ones deleted.
Alchemist
#91 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:09 PM
oh jesus christ.

that is all i have to say.
(though perhaps it is a nightmare that might actually match/trump this traumatic image?)

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Instructor
#92 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
oh jesus christ.

that is all i have to say.

Hopefully its something that can be fixed.....
Alchemist
#93 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fraroc
Hopefully its something that can be fixed.....

if there is a fix, id love to hear about it. this is...not the sort of glitch that can go ignored very easily. everything else works fine. pets look great standing still, but then decide to morph into the essence of horror the moment they need to go from point A to point B.

see what i mean? that used to be a cat, but i assume that a mutated spider bit it and now it is lost to the realm of disfigured insanity.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Instructor
#94 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kristie91
has anyone grown carrots yet? are carrots just for horses or are there any new recipes?

I grew carrots today. I believe it is level 5 when you can start planting them. You can buy them at the grocery store.
Alchemist
#95 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladyhawke976
But honestly, in my first run of the day my sims had one horse, two cats, a goldfish named Nemo, and a toddler named Vincent. Between that and working, the parents were falling asleep standing up. Like I said in a earlier post, I would leave them to their own devices but sometimes they are not so bright. My one kitten ran around the yard all day until her picture turned yellow, slowly melding into red. Still running, I had to stop her because her bladder was about to explode, she was starving to death and someone was about to get shredded because her need to scratch was starting to manifest itself.

During this time the baby was screaming from the lack of socializing. The mother was exhausted and wanted to do nothing but sleep. The other cat had killed their potted plants and their horse was ticked because he wanted to run but couldn't find a path even in the middle of the street where he could head in any direction. The father decided to read a book while I was taking care of the kitten, the kibble bowl was empty, their horses stall was dirty, the wife had broke both the dishwasher and shower (Seriously?), as if he had nothing better to do than curl up with a good book.

So now, I am down to having one kid, one cat. If the family wants to see another animal right now they can look out the window or pet one of the dozen or so strays that finds it's way to their front door to sleep every night.

I just laughed myself breathless & to tears. I love these blow-by-blows of your experiances! This game is so annoyingly fun.
Instructor
#96 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:59 PM
Twallan, do your magic.....

And besides, if I were to make a hypothosis, It could a glitch where an animal tries to render itself into human sim form for some reason. It could be something that if we told EA, they can do something about it, but....at the same time, i don't know....
Test Subject
#97 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 11:12 PM
After some further playing, I have noticed a few pathing issues. Nothing major. Cluttered houses may be a thing of the past if you want pets though. Example: a coffee table in front of the sofa with the only tv. Poor doggy can't watch tv and relax like he wants to.

I adopted a Kitten, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why she couldn't get inside, my dog wasn't have any problems. Had some puppies in another house and realized pretty quickly what the issue was: Apparently Puppies/Kittens can't use stairs. Once you get them inside all is well. :P

Horses are pretty awkward, but fun. A horse self training itself is funny to me. But if it likes to jump, it likes to jump. :P

I tried adopting from a neighbor, but couldn't find the puppies (didn't know the family, so had to hunt them down, then they left for work immediately after I showed up - wish there was an indicator bubble or something that'd be nice), think I turned out being too late or something because I checked the newspaper again and no one had puppies.

Hunting is very interesting. And letting my dog free roam is awesome. Got some interesting things from hunting. Haven't tried this with cat yet.

Guarding the house. I get burglars EVERY time. At 9 am in the morning...and the cop failed to beat up the burglar so he got away...with my Sim and dog barking at him RIGHT there. Apparently my dog won't attack them, but just bark. :< But by the time he finds them my security alarm is going off...

Also, I'm really liking the Autumn-ish feel to Appaloosa Plains. It may become my favorite town for that alone.

Still having lots of fun though.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 11:17 PM Last edited by lipglosschaos : 20th Oct 2011 at 1:32 AM.
"Nervous" horses are a pain in the @$$.I can't get them to do any jumping, but they are pretty decent when it comes to racing. Haven't tried any cats or dogs, but horses are fun. I'm a little bummed there aren't any premade houses that have riding equipment that comes with them.

I love that dogs can sleep in humans' beds! It's a cute touch. I find the animations for all the animals adorable and very realistic.

Zebra Maxidress in 5 Colors

I made a tutorial! Check it out here.
Field Researcher
#99 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 11:25 PM
I had zero expectations; in fact I expected the game to crash to the desktop and to spend perhaps a day getting the game to work. I have been very pleasantly surprised!!! No crashes, smooth game play, no weird slowdowns!! I actually really like the Western-style town and the clothes and furniture, etc. that goes along with this style. It reminds me a of a country version my home (Nashville, TN) complete with rolling hills in the distance. I like the little stories and Sims of Appaloosa Plains much more than most of the pre-mades of the past. Other than my Honey Darnell's wedding to Johnny Johnson crashing and burning, I am very pleased!! I'm off to try to get her married (if not, I found my first bug) and maybe try a CAS family.
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 11:36 PM
lol anyone else find the cardboard cutout of bigfoot in the woods ?
Page 4 of 11