Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2014 at 5:02 PM
Default Help me find a topic for my thesis!
Hi everyone you gorgeous sunflowers! :lovestruc

So tomorrow I'm going to have a talk with one my English professor about my thesis. I don't know how it works in your country but here in Italy you have to prepare this graduation thesis which takes months to write and then present it at your graduation (in my case it's my under graduation) and that counts as your final exam and it's quite a big part of the mark you get on your degree.

Obviously I'm completely clueless.

Months ago I talked with another English professor of mine (who teaches Linguistics) but we couldn't really come up with anything good, mostly because his subject is very technical and boring, and I didn't really want to get into those projects if I don't find them interesting.
On the other hand, this woman I'm talking to tomorrow is like the the English "head-professor", she coordinates everything and the possibilities with her are endless. I could write about culture, history, language, mostly anything in a much more interesting and open way. The point is, I don't really have any ideas. I know she will help me to sort out something great, but I don't want to go there completely unprepared.
Trying to think about Italian and Anglo-American cultures colliding, the topic I came up with was immigration and, in a more general way, how Italians are seen in English speaking countries, which would span from Shakespearean merchants to the immigrants in Ellis Island to the Jersey Shore guys, I guess. But that doesn't seem very original.
I like movies, popular culture, geography and history, which can all give some inspiration but for some reason I can't think of anything original and worth developing.

Any ideas? I realize this is a bit confused and random but I would love to hear your ideas if you have any.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Apr 2014 at 6:38 PM
In addition to immigration, Italians have come to the attention of English-speaking countries through achievements in particular fields. (This influences the language, but I guess it is not necessarily a matter of "how Italians are seen" because after long enough time, we might not remember who we learned it from.) It's obvious in the case of musical terminology, but I very recently learned that it applies to nautical terms as well. For some time, I guess, any Europeans who did significant sailing were pretty sure to encounter Italians already doing it. I suppose that influences like this must have happened in multiple waves, as different forces led different groups to interact. (As to the article I linked -- I appreciate that etymology is a small subset of linguistics, and linguistics isn't all that your thesis might look at; but I thought it was cool, because I like things that have a story behind them.)
Scholar
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 11:04 PM
What's your degree in? Or do you have majors? (sorry if that sounds like a silly question, but a Ukranian girl I met online said they didn't have majors at her university). Here we generally don't have a thesis for a bachelor's degree but you definitely do for a master's or doctorate degree. And your thesis is basically always done on something related to what you got your degree in. Anyways, to me your topic seems pretty doable and somewhat difficult to research, but not impossible. I'm sure you could find something on it.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Apr 2014 at 8:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
What's your degree in? Or do you have majors? (sorry if that sounds like a silly question, but a Ukranian girl I met online said they didn't have majors at her university). Here we generally don't have a thesis for a bachelor's degree but you definitely do for a master's or doctorate degree. And your thesis is basically always done on something related to what you got your degree in. Anyways, to me your topic seems pretty doable and somewhat difficult to research, but not impossible. I'm sure you could find something on it.

It's called Linguistic & Cultural Mediation. Basically it's Foreign Languages with a focus on translation rather than literature. We do have majors here, even though I plan to just stop after my bachelor. Here in Italy it's not like in the US, I guess, almost every course offers a three year bachelor degree than can be followed by a two year major degree, unless it's Medicine or stuff like that which take way more years to get a degree in. Students are usually asked to prepare a thesis for both the bachelor and the major.
Anyway, I talked to my professor and she said she's currently following a lot of students so she can't make me graduate sooner than December (which would cost me a fairly high extra university fee). So I will just find another professor I guess! Thanks everyone!

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.