Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 3:02 AM
What's the longest you've slept/gone without sleep?
Super random but I'm just curious.

What's the longest you've slept continuously? And what's the longest you've gone without sleep?

As for me, the longest I've slept was about 17 hours straight. I don't remember why I slept that long, I just remember counting 17 hours and freaking out.
The longest I've gone without sleep was actually a few days ago, I went about 28 hours without sleep. It was scary. I started to feel like reality was a dream and it was impossible to focus on anything. Totally freaked me out.

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 3:54 AM
Not exactly sure about the record in sleeping the longest, but I had a long period a few years back where I could sleep for anything between 10 and 15 hours every day. Lasted for several months. Wasn't continuous every day, though. I needed a lot of rest and sleep at the time, so I barely managed a few hours awake before I needed more sleep.

As for going without sleep, I'm not sure, but there have been times where I've only gotten between 1-3 hours of sleep every night for almost a week, and still been able to function somewhat at school (and then I sleep most of the weekend). I've probably gone some 24 hours at a stretchwithout any sleep, possibly a bit more, but after that I'm cake.

During weekends my internal clock tends to auto-reset, and it has happened that I've slept until 5 PM (or even later). But that's usually after an evening of night-owling, so it's still just about 10 hours of sleep.

I've never gone so long without sleep that I start to wonder about reality. I have woken up unable to move, though. A bit scary, but I knew it wasn't actually dangerous, so I managed to wait until it passed without getting hysterical.
Inventor
#3 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 6:01 AM
I assume this thread is made due to lack of sleep, my record without it is 3 days and I belive it was when I discovered creepy pasta.
Inventor
#4 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 6:46 AM
The longest I've ever gone without sleeping was a little over 60 hours. I've done 48+ hours without sleeping dozens ( maybe hundreds?) of times in my life. I've never seemed to require much sleep and am addicted to both caffeine and nicotine , both of which act as stimulants. I have had sleep-onset insomnia ( I lay down and can't go to sleep) since I was in my teens , if not earlier. I frequently just bag sleeping and get back up after an hour or two of that. Ideally , I'll sleep for 5-6 hours per night , that probably happens 3-4 times a week on average. I've never noticed any negative repercussions from my lack of sleep , nor has anyone that would know , and be in a position to comment on , ever even hinted at such. I don't feel tired , physically , mentally or emotionally , so for me 25-35 hours of sleep in a week seems fine. I'm 53 years old and I can work a ten hour day on my feet (sales) , go home ...do whatever, crash for 3-4 hours and get up and do another ten hour day and feel great the whole time.

I'm not officially a teetotaler , although I haven't had a drink in about 5 years (who knows I may want to have some wine or something one of these years ) , but I know that when I did my heavy drinking ( in my late teens and twenties) I required more sleep on all nights , not just the nights that I drank. I can remember coming home at 2-3 AM as a teen and sleeping to a corresponding time the next afternoon. So about twelve hours would be the longest I've ever slept .

Disclaimer: I'm certainly not advocating the use of nicotine , caffeine or alcohol for purposes of staying up or sleeping (or anything else) by people of any age , just regurgitating personal info .

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Inventor
#5 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 7:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
Disclaimer: I'm certainly not advocating the use of nicotine , caffeine or alcohol for purposes of staying up or sleeping (or anything else) by people of any age , just regurgitating personal info .

Are you saying that those are not good ways to stay awake?
Theorist
#6 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 5:16 PM
I think 11hrs was the longest time sleeping that I can remember. Probably was within the last year. I don't usually sleep but 5hrs/night so that was quite a shocker. I felt fine when I woke up so I didn't get freaked out or anything. Just figured I must have been making up for my terrible sleep habits.

As for longest time not sleeping, maybe 40-48hrs, but several times. After I graduated college, I had a degree, but no job. I needed a job, but had too much social anxiety to proactively look for one and go to interviews. I mooched off my girlfriend. I felt like a loser bum and had really, really low self-esteem. I hated myself and felt ashamed. That caused me insomnia every night, and some nights I'd lay there all night long, wide awake and feeling sorry for myself, made myself physically sick with worry that I would never get the balls to look for a job and that I'd still be a bum 20yrs later.

With copious amounts of emotional support and encouragement, I managed to score a really sweet white-collar job my 1st interview. That was over a decade ago and ever since I usually fall asleep within 5 minutes of going to bed.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#7 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 6:16 PM
Well the longest I've slept was about 15 hours after a 8 hour flight from NYC to Milan and a CRAZY jet lag. The longest I've gone without sleep was maybe 24 hours...? I'm saying that because I remember one time I woke up very early in the morning and partied all day and then went to bed very very late the night after but that could have been 22 hours as well, I don't know. I just feel like I really need to sleep in order to function properly and to be honest there hasn't really been a time when I was "forced" to stay awake or when I couldn't just sleep. I don't know.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Theorist
#8 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 6:30 PM
I've gone five days without sleep, but I wouldn't recommend it. Reality gets pretty dicey. On the other end I guess I've sleep 22 hours in a 24 hour period, when I was ill. When you're that ill though, again, reality gets weird. Might have imagined it.
Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 7:50 PM
I sleep really badly, but the longest I've gone without any sleep is about 72 hours, while I had Bronchitis From Hell during my freshman year of college and couldn't stop coughing. Then, once I'd recovered enough that I could lie down without hacking up my lungs, I slept for 18 hours straight. Even back when I had mono, I never slept that long in one go.

@Mistermook: Yeah, whether it's too much sleep or none, things get spooky and weird. Like, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas weird. Auditory hallucinations and swimming vision weird. I-can-feel-my-brain-blue-screening weird. It seems to mess you up for a while even after you're back to sleeping normally.
Scholar
#10 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 6:15 PM
The longest I've slept has been 16 hours or so. That was just recently, actually, when I did a lot of physical work I wasn't used to. 14 hours has happened many times.

The longest I've gone without sleep is 2 days (one night). I just wasn't tired at all, got a lot done during the night, and didn't sleep until the next. This happened several times too.

I also have insomnia though and have had it since I was about six years old.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Alchemist
#11 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 5:57 PM Last edited by SuicidiaParasidia : 31st Mar 2014 at 6:12 PM.
longest ive slept: 16 hours. (didnt really have anything else to do with myself at that point. why not just be unconscious?)
longest ive gone without sleep: 3 days. (my house at that time was infested with wolf spiders* that would come out and bite you if you were laying down/still for a period of time. and there were TONS of these spiders, to the point where if you turned off the lights for about 5 minutes, then turned them back on, thered be 2-3 new spiders in the room, always up in the corners where youd have to get a broom to reach them. at one point, i had over 36 bites on my body, all of them very itchy and painful. and everywhere....backs of the knees, inner elbows, armpits, butt, feet, breast, neck, back. made wearing clothes very unpleasant. i was basically just too paranoid to sleep. i lived there for 2-3 years before i was able to escape, but that house is the reason i could never believe anyone who uses the "theyre more afraid of you than you are of them" excuse for liking spiders. NO THEY BLOODY ARENT.)

*north american wolf spiders. this big, not this big.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#12 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 6:22 PM
The longest I've ever slept was 20 hours, but that was due to a weird personal side effect of a medication I was taking at the time. (Yeah, I stopped taking it after that day.) 20 hours of sleeping and yet feeling tired when you awake, and wanting to go back to sleep with no interest in reading, gaming, writing, watching TV or movies, and studying? Yeah not good.

The longest I've gone - so far - without sleep was 49 hours (2 days + 1 hour). I can't remember the fill details but I think this was do to Nursing School related. (Day before clinical picking up a patient, filling out a book of paper work and being prepped and ready to go at 6 sharp the next morning, and oh yes, after 12 hours of being on your feet you had more paperwork to complete and post by the end of the day.)
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 10:49 AM
The longest I've slept was about 16 hours after I hadn't slept the night before.

The longest I haven't slept is probably about 30 hours... because sleep is for the weak!

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 5:39 PM
Gone without: A day and a bit so like 30+ hours?
Slept: Like 14 hours.
Scholar
#15 Old 4th Apr 2014 at 12:31 PM
I have a strange week... I suppose to wake up at 7:00AM but I wake up at 8:00AM! x( End of Day Light Savings will end this week. LoL that will help my sleeping problem! xD

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Field Researcher
#16 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:16 PM Last edited by Rectos Dominos : 18th Apr 2014 at 4:18 PM. Reason: My inner child is grammar-nazi.
Longest I've slept 12 hours, too much vodka , even when drunk I normally can only sleep 7-8 hours tops.

Longest without at least 22 hours cause I did a 22 hour shift .

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#17 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:18 PM
Gone without sleep for about 57 hours straight because I decided that I needed to beat Mass Effect, and the only way to do it without wandering off from general distraction was to play straight through without sleep. It took 57 hours because I can't aim the gun and my teammates were perpetually eating bullets meant for me, leaving me to scream wildly as I ran away from enemies that I couldn't kill even with auto-aim. Suffice to say, the final battle against Saren was rather ugly and wouldn't have gone off at all had I not been equipped with a near-constant health re-generator.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Field Researcher
#18 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 7:47 PM
The longest I've gone without sleep was 33 hours. Had a gaming marathon with one of my friends. After 33 hours my friend fell asleep next to me, next thing I knew, I was K.O too.

The longest I've ever slept was 14 hours? Not sure, more than 12 hours though. I got a knack for sleeping long
Test Subject
#19 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 10:35 PM
Longest I've been asleep was over 24h, I kind of just crashed. Longest I've gone without sleep is something around 2 weeks or so? I have no idea, I don't sleep much.
Theorist
#20 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 12:29 AM
I was awake for almost 72 hours once. I don't remember much about it.

Do bathroom breaks count against the longest continuous sleep time? If so, then about 7 hours is my extreme limit. However, if waking up just enough to stumble to the bathroom and do bathroomly things before stumbling back to bed and falling immediately back asleep is allowable as continuous, then I can manage 14 hours pretty routinely if I've been shorted for several days before. After being up for 72 hours, I slept for 8 hours, woke up long enough to call out from work, went back to sleep for another 8 or 9 hours, woke up for about an hour and a half, and went back to sleep for 9 hours or so.

I normally need about 9 hours of sleep a night, but exactly how much I need is very strongly dependent on the amount of available light. I need much less sleep in the summer than in the winter. When I was in England (much further north than my usual haunts) in the summer (when the days are longer), I got 5.5 or 6 hours a night and felt awesome.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
#21 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 1:45 AM
I once stayed up until 9 A.M. and woke up at 8 P.M. and my sleeping schedule was screwed up for a week. Definitely never doing that again. :P
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 1:13 AM
I slept through Christmas 2008. Like, I woke up for about an hour to pee, open presents and eat some turkey in bed before I just fell back asleep again. I regret it a lot because it made me seem like a spoilt brat that I slept through my family visiting, but I just literally could not stay awake.

Longest I've stayed awake was just over 24 hours. I could probably stay awake for longer, but I really enjoy sleeping.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Alchemist
#23 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 9:53 AM
The longest I have slept has been 9 hours.
The longest I have gone without sleep was 49 hours,me and my friends went out clubbin for 49 hours straight without energy drinks our minds started to play tricks on us but was such an awesome nights.

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.
My Simblr
My Youtube
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 11:49 AM
longest I've stayed up was till 2 am with my friend, because she was on her tablet. then was had to get up at 6 am because the people above her apartment were awake.

Challenges:
- ISBI (Sylvarlotte)
- Wishacy: (Odette)
- Do It As You Go (Cas)
-Perfect Genetics (Alyssa)
Mad Poster
#25 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 11:41 PM
Longest I slept continuously was 17 hours.
I usually go to sleep at around 2 or 3 in the morning. My sleeping pattern is non-existant

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Page 1 of 2