Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2015 at 9:42 PM
Default Roof Inside walls
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to place a first-floor conical roof against the corner of the second-floor wall. The problem is that the roof is being automatically built inside the second-floor room. During live play the sims can't function (error: "no interactions available") in the area where the roof extends into the room, so i can't just ignore it.

I know that this issue has been posted before, but none of the suggestions have solved the issue (such as: it won't be there during live play, or making sure the second-floor room had it's own roof in place)

So I thought I'd post some picks of the problem, see if anyone has an idea.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th May 2015 at 8:34 PM
Yeah, that's a problem I also stumble upon when building. Roofing is something very delicate and mostly end up with a flat roof top (tiled).

Though, if there are some tools to cut them off in spaces that they aren't supposed to be in, I would love to hear about that as well.
Instructor
#3 Old 8th May 2015 at 8:43 AM
I tried to replicate the problem you're having, but the conical roof I placed disappears when I drop down from the roof into the top floor. Have you tried deleting it with the Sledgehammer Tool and then immediately hitting the 'Undo' button?

There's something different. When I drop down into the upper floor, both of my roofs disappear (regular and conical). You may have a level on your build that I don't have on mine. I did a quick build on flat ground with no foundation/deck/platform/stilts.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th May 2015 at 5:06 AM
Hey fellas, thanks for the responses. I was half expecting dead silence considering how old the game is : )

Quote: Originally posted by stevset
...Roofing is something very delicate ...if there are some tools to cut them off in spaces that they aren't supposed to be in...

It would be awesome to have a tool to remove unwanted roof sections delineated by walls; similar to how flooring on one side of a diagonal wall can be deleted without deleting the whole square. That and a way to lock the orientation of a roof segment you're trying to place.

Quote: Originally posted by lindali365
I tried to replicate the problem you're having, but the conical roof I placed disappears when I drop down from the roof into the top floor.

By this do you mean the whole conical roof disappears, or just the unwanted interior section? The whole roof is supposed to disappear (pic 4) when u move focus to a floor on the same level as the roof (i.e. a floor that is 1 level above the level covered by the roof) so as to give you access to the attic space... at least, i think that's the intention.

Have you tried deleting it with the Sledgehammer Tool and then immediately hitting the 'Undo' button?

yep, probably one of the first things I tried because it often helps clear up other glitches.

There's something different. When I drop down into the upper floor, both of my roofs disappear (regular and conical). You may have a level on your build that I don't have on mine. I did a quick build on flat ground with no foundation/deck/platform/stilts.

I too did a simple experiment in an empty lot to see if I could find a workaround, though it did include a foundation.
The house shown in the original post is relatively complex (basement, "underground" garage, foundation, main floor, second floor, attic floor, rooftop deck). So it's entirely possible that I am causing the problem somewhere in all that, but still the experiment is coming up with the same issue (see pics). I'll try another experiment with out a foundation.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Screenshots