Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:39 PM
Default Can sims eat on sofa?
Can sims eat on sofa or only table/chair (and bar/stool)?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:50 PM
Yes, why? Have you played the game? What kind of thread is this?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 11:54 PM
Because my sims refused to eat on sofa. They rather stand and eat. I just find it odd.

Field Researcher
#4 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:53 AM
They just choose random places to eat. I had one sim that always sat on the toilet to eat
because he was too poor to have a table. I think a lot of times it is just what seating it nearby
and if none is just eat standing up. I have also seen them bypass the dishwasher to wash the
dishes in the bathroom sink.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 3:18 AM
I've seen Sims eat sitting on the toilet or on the edge of the tub, but I don't know if I've actually ever seen them eat sitting on a couch.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 7:42 AM
Yes, they can. But I guess some people don't see this?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 9:13 AM
I think Sims decide on where to eat based on two factors: prioritised objects and distance. Top priority is a chair at a table, next would be a stool at a bar or island counter, then a chair, an armchair, and finally a sofa. If, however, the sofa is too far away from the chair at a table that they intended to use initially they'd rather stand than walk the extra mile to the next location on the priority list.
I tested something similar with nectar drinking. In the French nectary there's a table with two chairs in the back part of the ground floor, far away from the actual nectar racks and serving surfaces. Sims usually walk all the way to that table first because it's the only seating with an additional surface. If the chairs are then already taken once they arrive there they will not route back to the front to sit in the armchairs, but remain standing with their glasses in hand.
So, it seems that the original destination can be quite far away if it is top priority, but if that fails they will then choose the nearest spot, which, in that case, is standing position.
Forcing them to use the sofa is therefore quite difficult because a sofa is so low on the priorities list that they'd rather stand than walk there.

The dishwasher is a similar case. It is higher on priorities than a sink but if it's too far away from where they Sims are eating then they'd choose the sink if it is really much closer to them.
But closer seems to be calculated on an odd basis, i.e., not routing distance but actual geometrical distance. Thus it can sometimes happen that Sims chose an object that is directly above them on the next floor instead of the same object on the same floor but further away, because technically the object above them is closer, even if it means that they will have to walk a lot more.
Instructor
#8 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 9:31 AM
When ever I have a deck or balcony with table and chair, my sims would walk all the way there even when the dining table is right next to them, in the kitchen. In SV, Christopher Steel's house is one good example. The sims would just walk past the table and go eat outside. Even if they have the hates outdoors trait, so I doubt it's scenery preference.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
I think Sims decide on where to eat based on two factors: prioritised objects and distance.

Also the comfort value of the object. I remember seeing that as well as a check on whether a sim they dislike is sitting at the table in the xml that governs sitting.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 4:50 PM
I've had a Sim eating outside and their spouse, instead of going to the nearby table, comes outside and joins them.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 8:08 PM
Traits can be a factor in where a Sim decides to eat as well. IIRC, insane Sims are more likely to look at the toilet and think of it as a perfect place to settle their backsides.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 9:22 PM
I've not seen a sim eat while sitting on a sofa. I once watched a puppy eat a refrigerator. So anything is possible!

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 9:57 PM
I tried, placed a ton of sofa around, and buffet table, with no chair/table on lot. Sims rather gave a tantrum about blocked path, then stand and eat. All sofa remain empty (or until after they ate).

Instructor
#14 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 10:41 PM
My sims eat on the sofa and living room chairs.

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Can sims eat on sofa or only table/chair (and bar/stool)?

Just don't give them a table and only a sofa . It really is that easy. Well, they might use the toilet for sitting down and eating, but only if the sofa is not available.
Scholar
#16 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:20 PM
Yep, my sims family either eat on the the patio or on the couch.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
One Minute Ninja'd
#17 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:24 AM
I had my sim playing a video game on the sofa. Wifey brought dinner over to sit with him and watch him play the game. They even chatted while eating and playing (she was eating, he was playing). Multitasking, TS3 style. And they said it was new..................
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#18 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 5:57 PM
Okay, I just tested this in my current game, twice. There were two Sims in a house that had only one chair at a table and a loveseat in the adjacent room. When both Sims went to eat, the second one in both cases went to the next room to eat on the sofa when the first one had already taken the chair at the table.