Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Notebook V2.1

by plasticbox Posted 10th Jan 2015 at 3:50 AM - Updated 15th Feb 2016 at 1:11 PM by plasticbox

195 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 120 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 8
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 6:03 PM
What was that whim exactly, do you remember the text?

As for that "Write Jokes on Computer" one -- the only thing regarding whims I remember having seen in the XML this mod contains are the "Finish Book" ones (they are tied to an outcome) .. for the others I guess one would have to override the actual whims, in order to make them aware of the custom interactions I have in the notebook. I'd need to look at the code to be able to tell whether that would be a good idea .. off the top of my head I don't know what’s contained in those (I wouldn't want unnecessary conflicts, but maybe that could be scripted). Honestly I don’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon though, as I’m not terribly interested in all of that whim stuff =P.

But thanks for the heads-up! =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Instructor
#52 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
What was that whim exactly, do you remember the text?

As for that "Write Jokes on Computer" one -- the only thing regarding whims I remember having seen in the XML this mod contains are the "Finish Book" ones (they are tied to an outcome) .. for the others I guess one would have to override the actual whims, in order to make them aware of the custom interactions I have in the notebook. I'd need to look at the code to be able to tell whether that would be a good idea .. off the top of my head I don't know what’s contained in those (I wouldn't want unnecessary conflicts, but maybe that could be scripted). Honestly I don’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon though, as I’m not terribly interested in all of that whim stuff =P.

But thanks for the heads-up! =)

All it said was practice writing for 10 whim points so it was no big deal. I just did it on the computer, just wanted to give you a heads up

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 12:50 AM
Ah OK, thank you. (Some whims come in different flavours IIRC, like "Practice Writing for N hours", that's why I was asking.)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
#54 Old 2nd Feb 2015 at 9:13 AM
Thank you so much!

Russian translation to the next update.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  STBL_RUS.rar (353 Bytes, 5 downloads)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 2nd Feb 2015 at 12:16 PM
Thank you! =)

Test Subject
#56 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:36 PM
You have no idea how much I wanted notebooks in this game. Great mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#57 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 3:43 PM
This kind of reminds of Death Note. Is it possible to kill sims with this? :3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#58 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 5:06 AM
Thanks so much!! Perfect for sims who cant afford computers!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#59 Old 11th Feb 2015 at 6:47 AM
I LOVE THIS! I don't know why notebooks are never just added into the sims base games? Some of us still use notebooks from time to time so id like my lil sims to use them to! THANK YOU FOR THIS I LOVE YOU!
Deceased
#60 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 4:49 AM
I don't know when this started showing up, I never noticed it until tonight. Not sure if this is a bug in my game or what - I tried wiping the lot cache and removed all other mods and CC, but my Sims have suddenly come up with the desire to spray the notebooks. I mean I know they're supposed to be weirder than ever, but this is downright nutty. Funny thing is that it works, sort of... they will shake an empty glass over it like they're sprinkling something on it, the intended purpose of which I have yet to fully fathom.

My guess is that this started with the latest patch or possibly with Outdoor Retreat.

Is anybody else seeing this or is my game install fubared? As far as I can tell this is only happening to the notebook.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#61 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 6:48 AM
This is great ... Thank u sooooo much
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#62 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 7:02 AM
This is amazing, thanks!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
I don't know when this started showing up, I never noticed it until tonight. Not sure if this is a bug in my game or what - I tried wiping the lot cache and removed all other mods and CC, but my Sims have suddenly come up with the desire to spray the notebooks. I mean I know they're supposed to be weirder than ever, but this is downright nutty. Funny thing is that it works, sort of... they will shake an empty glass over it like they're sprinkling something on it, the intended purpose of which I have yet to fully fathom.

My guess is that this started with the latest patch or possibly with Outdoor Retreat.

Is anybody else seeing this or is my game install fubared? As far as I can tell this is only happening to the notebook.

Unfortunately I still don't have Outdoor Retreat, so I can't check out myself what is happening there .. when you're say they're using an empty glass, that sounds like it's not the base game "Spray" option for plants, is it? Can you perhaps find out a little more about that interaction .. is it a new thing for herbs, maybe?

If I knew what it is exactly and roughly which objects it's supposed to be added to, I can try asking at the EA modding forums -- new interactions shouldn't get applied to custom objects on accident. I believe they would have to have added the Spray thing via scripting, and perhaps there is some sanity check not being run or something like that.

Deceased
#64 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 5:57 PM
Unfortunately I still don't have Outdoor Retreat, so I can't check out myself what is happening there .. when you're say they're using an empty glass, that sounds like it's not the base game "Spray" option for plants, is it? Can you perhaps find out a little more about that interaction .. is it a new thing for herbs, maybe?

OK, that explains why you didn't see it, was worried I'd somehow b0rk3d my game up good

A quick search through the extracts for the OR pack found this new interaction which is in the notebook as an unidentified SA:
Code:
<I c="SuperInteraction" i="interaction" m="interactions.base.super_interaction" n="herbalism_Potion_Spray" s="104364">

You were right - herbalism was the culprit. Apparantly the December 16 patch added this SA to a ton of objects (220) in the game, and they pulled it back out again in January. We may end up seeing this happen to other CC objects if the authors use that version as their base.
Test Subject
#65 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 9:14 PM
This mod doesn't seem to be working for me! I'm patched to the latest version and have Outdoor Retreat. When I use the notebook to try and write my sim's book if there's a computer available they will go to the computer instead. If there's no computer then it doesn't work at all.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Apparantly the December 16 patch added this SA to a ton of objects (220) in the game, and they pulled it back out again in January. We may end up seeing this happen to other CC objects if the authors use that version as their base.

Awesome, thanks for the quick info. I was wondering why I couldn't find that interaction, but left it in thinking it was some sort of debug thing .. I'll fix it a.s.a.p.!

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 15th Feb 2015 at 10:57 PM
Updated, see first post. Thanks for the heads-up! =)

I also added the Russian and updated Chinese translations -- thanks @egureh and @KuriXarya for those!

Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#68 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 4:13 AM
Thanks for updating! :D
Deceased
#69 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 3:40 PM
Hey pbox, yeah me with problems again... I'd noticed that sometimes books in my published payments list wouldn't have the book title I'd given them. I wasn't sure why, but this morning took a look thinking maybe it had something to do with keep a copy of published books that no one had reported yet. Turns out that even before the book is published, it is wrong in the inventory - only if created using the notebook (computer written books are proper).

As you can see in the attached image, the book is just named "Fantasy" with the generic description, and instead of being a regular crafted book (which would have no value listed) it shows a different one, like it's a purchased book instead (with value of zero). I can publish it regularly at the mailbox like a crafted book though, and get payments for it, but the title is gone and replaced with just the genre name.

It's remembering the name correctly for the "resume writing" interaction, so it appears to just be the final stage of turning it into a book object that is not acting correctly. I think this issue goes back to when you first added writing to the notebook as having an unnamed published book has happened several times I'd just never made the connection that it was just the notebook that caused that. Also, it's not a random glitch, it happens with every book authored on the notebook.

If you need more information just yell, and I realize this might not be a quick fix so whenever you get to it. I took a look at the XML and quickly got lost trying to figure it out.
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 6:26 PM
Thank you! I guess it might have something to do with the fact that my memory stick interactions are custom .. I didn’t have this issue when I tested, but that was a couple of game versions ago, so who knows, maybe something has changed in the meantime.

Will take a little while though; I’m currently ill with a fever and can’t think straight enough for this kind of thing.

Deceased
#71 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 7:01 PM
Will take a little while though; I’m currently ill with a fever and can’t think straight enough for this kind of thing.

Totally understandable! Hope you feel better soon!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 9:17 PM
I just found a difference between the current S4_object_MemoryStick_B61DE6B4_00000000_0000000000003A5E.xml and the version I cloned from, namely

Quote: Originally posted by Current
<V n="name" t="enabled">
<U n="enabled">
</U>
<T n="allow_description">True</T>
</V>

Quote: Originally posted by Old
<V n="name" t="enabled">
<U n="enabled">
<T n="allow_description">True</T>
</U>
</V>

Seems like that might have something to do with it .. ? I'm not sure, I'm too foggy-brained right now.

I have an override for that tuning in the notebook because I'm adding my interactions to it, so if this is what's causing the problem I have picked it up from Maxis (back then you and Aren's scripting method wasn't available yet) .. attached is a version where I have edited that, if you want to test.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  pbox_notebook.zip (186.0 KB, 7 downloads)

Deceased
#73 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 10:58 PM
Don't worry about it now, it's really just a cosmetic bug - the books still work to read and publish.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#74 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 2:52 PM
Oh, it’s great. Thank you.
It’s a pity there weren't notebooks or typewriters for The Sims 3 and The Sims 2.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 3:11 PM
There is a notebook for TS3, I used that all the time: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=422974

Page 3 of 8