Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
While there was no specific penalty, the requirements specifically stated to use no more than 35 tiles. Not following direction generally incurs a penalty. By the same token, there was a bonus for being under the tile budget, at a hefty 1 point per tile for the first 5 tiles.

Each round will have a tile allotment requirement, hence the title "Everything they ever wanted, only smaller."

Out of the 12 contestants, 2 went over and recieved lower scores, 2 technically were over by 1 tile each, but didn't get penalized because the space wasn't useable, 4 recieved bonus points, and the rest were right at 35.

Okidoki. I was just wondering, as though some of the judges comments mentioned that an entry had used too many tiles, it wasn't specified whether they'd been penalised for this.

I just had another idea for my entry for this round, so I have a couple more questions, this time about void space. Am I right in thinking that space counts as void space if it is inaccessible yet enclosed by four walls - so part of the building's structure but not actually used by sims/containing any objects etc? For example dormers, pillars made using walls etc. Also, outdoor space never counts towards the allotted tiles, right? If it has none of the required objects on/in it, anyway? Is it allowed to make "outdoor" space that does contain some of the required objects as long as it counts as part of the 50 tiles??
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#77 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 3:14 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 3rd Feb 2011 at 3:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Am I right in thinking that space counts as void space if it is inaccessible yet enclosed by four walls - so part of the building's structure but not actually used by sims/containing any objects etc? For example dormers, pillars made using walls etc.

Basically, yes. It must be totally inaccesable, and unused/unfurnished. The exemption to this is unused space under stairs, because it is being "used" by the stairs themselvs. Tiles under stairs DO count.

EDIT: If someone were to have a fireplace, and enclose the chimney, that space would be counted, as it is being "used" by the chimney; also, an equlivalent space being used asthe chimney, even though no chimney pieces were in it.

Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Also, outdoor space never counts towards the allotted tiles, right? If it has none of the required objects on/in it, anyway? Is it allowed to make "outdoor" space that does contain some of the required objects as long as it counts as part of the 50 tiles??

No, the required objects must be within the 50 tiles. You may have additional or duplicate items outside though. With the caveat that any outdoor space must be in keeping with the scale of the indoor space.

You may add outside terraces/decks in keeping with the scale of the home, and any landscaping/amenities you wish.

Basically, the last two words of the contest title are the most important ones: Just Smaller!

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Mad Poster
#78 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 3:38 AM
No, the required objects must be within the 50 tiles. You may have additional or duplicate items outside though. With the caveat that any outdoor space must be in keeping with the scale of the indoor space.

So, does that mean that it is not ok to have an (entirely enclosed by fencing, and on the first floor) outdoor balcony which is included in the tile count and contains some of the required furniture?

Sorry for all the questions - I just managed to get to my game to load so I want to build asap!

**EDIT** I mean the UK "first floor", I have a sneaking suspicion that Americans would call it the second floor. Not the floor that is on the ground, one up from that.
Scholar
Original Poster
#79 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 11:27 AM
Yes, it is not ok; and that would be the American second floor.

Lab Assistant
#80 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 7:46 PM Last edited by Sulyuki : 4th Feb 2011 at 6:09 PM.
It would have been nice to have the option to use a table as a desk which I do sometimes. But I can do this without any CC shortcuts anyway, in less than 50 tiles. It's 49 tiles if you count the empty tiles above the stairs, 46 if you don't. I was wrong about the TS2 Sims needing more room to move around. They've allways complained before in too small places, but I've tested it and they can use everything.

Edit: I just replaced two pictures. I really like some of the other round 1 entries.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#81 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 12:30 AM
Default Lauratje86 - Round 1
Here we go. I make it 48 tiles, but please count them yourselves - my brain is not entirely with it at the moment..... Sorry if the pictures aren't brilliant quality graphicswise, my laptop is dying :-(

I have named it 'The Eco House' - not hugely original, I know, but never mind! It comes complete with its own veggie patch, orchard, windmill to produce electricity, and eco-system roof - excellent to encourage birds and bugs into the garden! :-) And on the inside it's, well, pretty colourful :-) But practical too, of course!

Loving everyone's Round 1 houses so far :-D

External View:

Aerial Overview:

Outdoors:

Bedroom:

Kitchen & Dining Area:

Study Area & View From Shower-room:

Scholar
Original Poster
#82 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 2:39 AM
We are only waiting for entries from amora_selvagen and pandoransark. If they post soon, I'll post Round 2 early. Fair warning to anyone who may wish to re-do their entry.

Field Researcher
#83 Old 4th Feb 2011 at 7:24 PM Last edited by picass0blue : 5th Feb 2011 at 5:18 AM.
^ Thanks for the warning. I've been 110% swamped by college work but promise to post my revised entry in the next couple of hours. Just wanted to make sure I don't end up judged on the first attempt when I've nearly finished the real one.

ETA: Oh damn HOW can this happen? I have unconsciously made another 54 tile house. Well I'll have one up later on today, but I really need to sleep. I'm really sorry; I suffer from maths dyslexia.
Scholar
Original Poster
#84 Old 5th Feb 2011 at 9:16 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 5th Feb 2011 at 8:36 PM.
I wouldn't worry too much, it looks like I'll be closing the round at the original time; which is about 20 hours from now. We are still missing three entries, not two as I previously thought (not including do-overs).

ETA: As nobody has PMed/requested an extension before the time limit, if one is needed it will not be granted.

Scholar
Original Poster
#85 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 5:49 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 6th Feb 2011 at 7:45 PM.

A promotion, job change, another baby, another promotion; birthdays, aniversaries, recitals, games; where did the time go? You kept planning to move or renovate, somehow there was always something more important. Then... you guessed it! ANOTHER child! This time it has to happen, there just isn't space.

Using no more than 138 tiles, design a home for 2 adults, a teen, a child, and a baby. You may design in any style, on any lot, any number of levels. You may design an entirely new home, or add on to your previous lot. The following rooms should be included as seperate rooms: a study/office/library type room with fireplace, master bedroom, teen bedroom, 2 bathrooms, a half bath. The child bedroom and nursery may be seperate or one space. Kitchen, dining, living may also be combined or seperate. (You may also combine any 2 of the 3 spaces.) You may add any other rooms you have space for.

You must include all the following items, decor and lighting are left up to you. (You may also add any additional furniture you have room for.)You may add and furnish outside terraces/decks in keeping with the scale of the home, and any landscaping/amenities you wish, again keeping in scale.

3 tile sofa, 2 tile loveseat, 2 chairs (may be replaced with 1 lounge chair), 2 end tables, 2 or 3 tile dineing table with 6 or 8 chairs, no less than 2 tile "sideboard", stove, fridge, 3 to 5 counters, 4 sinks, 2 tubs, 1 shower, 3 toilets, crib, 2 single beds, 1 double bed, 4 nightstands, 3 dressers, changing table, desk, chair, 3 bookcases, 2 chairs, chess table.

2 toddler skill objects, potty, high chair, toybox, easel, weightbench or treadmill, telescope. The telescope should be placed outside and will NOT count to tiles used.

Rules and photos remain the same as in the previous rounds. There will be a bounus of 1 point for each set of 3 tiles under budget, up to 5 points (15 tiles). Full sets of 3 only!

Please PM me with any questions.

Scholar
Original Poster
#86 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 5:52 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 6th Feb 2011 at 6:11 AM.
Round one entries are closed. Good luck to everyone.

If you did not post an entry for this round, you may still post entries in the following rounds, you will just have a score of zero for this one. The same will hold true for all subsequent rounds.

Field Researcher
#87 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 9:52 AM
What do you mean exactly by "sideboard"... How is it different from a counter?

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Scholar
Original Poster
#88 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 1:49 PM
Quote:
sideboard (ˈsaɪdˌbɔːd)
— n
a piece of furniture intended to stand at the side of a dining room, with drawers, cupboards, and shelves to hold silver, china, linen, etc.

Quote:
counter (koun-ter)
— n
a surface for the preparation of food in a kitchen, especially on a low cabinet.

If you want to use two counters to create your sideboard, that would work too. I put the word in quotes so that you could be creative on what you used.

Field Researcher
#89 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 1:59 PM
I do know the difference between the actual nouns (LOL) I just wasn't sure what you meant by sideboard as they're not actually in the game and you put it in quotes!

Right, now I can get planning!

Lab Assistant
#90 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 7:02 PM
It says crib twice on the list of required items. It should only be one, right?

Can we delete the chimney?
Scholar
Original Poster
#91 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sulyuki
It says crib twice on the list of required items. It should only be one, right?

Can we delete the chimney?

0.o Yes, only one crib! Fixed! I don't know, can you delete the chimney? You may if you can.

(Can vs May second biggest pet peve EVER!!! )
(# 1 is Their vs They're vs There. 16 years of required English classes in this country, and everyone STILL F---s it up!)

Quote:
I just wasn't sure what you meant by sideboard as they're not actually in the game and you put it in quotes!

Thae fact that they don't exist in-game is pretty much why I put it in quotes.

Mad Poster
#92 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 7:53 PM
Huh. Remember when you said that this round was going to be really hard even though you got "loads" of tiles. I see your point! Looking forward to it though, time for me to start planning! :-D
Test Subject
#93 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 10:37 PM Last edited by Samethana : 6th Feb 2011 at 10:56 PM.
I'm having soo much fun with this contest! I really hated the fitness machine though, took me 4 do-overs before I got it in.
I tried to make more pictures this time, but I guess it's obvious that I'm no master of photography, I still have a long way to go.
I also tried to use different colors and styles for the interior decorating, my houses are usually very monochromatic.

So, let's see:

Exterior of the lot:

Overview downstairs:

Overview upstairs:

Library & Livingroom:

Kitchen, Powder Room & Upstairs Hallway:

Teen (artist) Bedroom & Master Bedroom:

Master Bathroom, Kiddie Batroom and Kidsroom/Nursery:

More of the exterior:

All of the required items are inside the house, except for the telescope as per instructions. The furniture outside was not required and only added for decorative purposes.
The tilecount is 138 (I seem to use up every last single tile every round), and everything is accessable.
Just in case it's not very visvible: the sideboard is on the upstairs hallway, one of the required endtables is under the stairs (and the cardboard box is a toychest).
Field Researcher
#94 Old 6th Feb 2011 at 10:42 PM Last edited by hotaru801 : 7th Feb 2011 at 9:10 AM.
Instead of a dresser can we use the one tile clothing rack in sims 3 to create the visual effect of a walk in closet and it count as a wardrobe?

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Scholar
Original Poster
#95 Old 7th Feb 2011 at 2:24 PM
If it functions as a dresser, yes.

Field Researcher
#96 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 8:20 PM
So a sideboard is a china cabinet right? And can we substitute a 2 tiled island for it instead?

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Scholar
Original Poster
#97 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hotaru801
So a sideboard is a china cabinet right? And can we substitute a 2 tiled island for it instead?
Yep! Nope, it must function as a sideboard. You may use the buffet table, if you have the room.

Field Researcher
#98 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 4:27 PM
Before I post my entry for round two, are we allowed a few more pictures since in this one we have to have separate rooms?

Scholar
Original Poster
#99 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 5:17 PM
You may have collages.

Field Researcher
#100 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 5:53 PM Last edited by wgroome : 9th Feb 2011 at 6:53 PM.
Can we use a bar as our "sideboard"? They are two tiles and, in real life at least, serve the same kind of purpose (a flat surface!)

EDIT: My game hates me. It decided to play up after I spent ages decorating my house for Round 2. Unfortunately I had to restart my machine and lost it all, and I don't reckon I'm going to have enough time before the deadline to complete the round, and since I've already done it once I'm not feeling that enthused about doing it again... Sorry, but I'm going to drop out. Thank you for running a great contest, kattenijin, and I am more than happy to sign up to be an emergency judge if you need one!

Page 4 of 9