Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 9:33 PM
Default Medieval Sims compatability
So, maybe this isn't the right area to post this, but I looked around on the forums for a while and failed to find any Medieval Sims threads.

To precursor this- I'm a huge fan of this site and this is my first post to one of the forums.

Basically- I've successfully managed to create a relatively comprehensive Steampunk World on Sims 3. When I took a look at Medieval Sims, I realized that with some of the object sets I have, that game could realize a whole new Steampunk world- in that it's closer in era and in technology.

So, my question- for anyone in the know is this: will Medieval Sims be compatible with the object sets from Sims 3, as it is running on the same engine?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 11:49 PM
Sorry that this isn't really a response to your true question, but how is the steampunk era closer in time and technology to the middle ages? Steampunk is late 19th C; middle ages is at least 500 years before that. Just wondering.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 1:02 AM
Most genres of Steampunk that I see, emerge from dictatorial societies that are still locked in feudalistic relationships with their peoples. the society in question and its technological representations always come across as pre-industrial- represented more closely by the structure of a medieval society as opposed to a modern society. In short- Steampunk stories are always told about people in kingdoms that are attempting to advance into the industrial age, not neighborhoods that are outfitted with all the modern amenities.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 2:47 AM
I was just coming here to find out if people thought that modding would be able to make some cross-gaming additions...

Personally, I'd love to see some of the outfits from Medieval ported over to TS3. Anyone thing that may be possible?

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Theorist
#5 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 3:47 AM
Converting stuff from TSM should be extremely easy with little to no effort (so probably won't be able to get the stuff here like what happened with Castaway), getting S3 stuff into TSM probably won't be that difficult either but the problem will be getting people to make CC for it or getting people to convert the stuff, you may benefit from learning to do it yourself.

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 8:12 PM
Okay, that all makes sense!

I'm not quite sure as to how I would convert objects from Sims 3 to Medieval Sims, but from what you're saying, it sounds like it will be relatively straight-forward. I guess I should probably become more familiar with the Sims 3 files and how the react inside the program.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 1:00 PM
I think the demand for converted stuff will be kinda big, so we will probably see it somehow somewhere...

:)
Field Researcher
#8 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Stantinov
Most genres of Steampunk that I see, emerge from dictatorial societies that are still locked in feudalistic relationships with their peoples. the society in question and its technological representations always come across as pre-industrial- represented more closely by the structure of a medieval society as opposed to a modern society. In short- Steampunk stories are always told about people in kingdoms that are attempting to advance into the industrial age, not neighborhoods that are outfitted with all the modern amenities.

Steampunk is basically a world where the Victorian sci-fi works, definitely industrial the Steam in the name says it. However it’s a lot of focus on the often crazy inventors who worked alone, and they have the best gear.
It has been some fantasy (medieval where magic work) and steampunk crossovers, Arcanium is the best model here and it was a fantasy world in Victorian times everything from factories to fashion and buildings was Victorian. Morrowind has some steampunk elements but it was reminds of a lost civilisation.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Converting stuff from TSM should be extremely easy with little to no effort (so probably won't be able to get the stuff here like what happened with Castaway), getting S3 stuff into TSM probably won't be that difficult either but the problem will be getting people to make CC for it or getting people to convert the stuff, you may benefit from learning to do it yourself.

Main issue it legal not technical, as it’s two different games it’s not ok to convert files, but yes lots of the sims medival clothes look nice.
I except that lost of it will show up in the Sims 3 store to. I also wonder about the moding of Sims medieval as I’m sure it will benefit of moding.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 5:44 PM
Regarding conversions from Medieval to TS3

EA does not look kindly on such conversions. We were not allowed to post conversions from Life Stories to TS2. We will not be hosting such conversions. Please knock off the discussion of it, as converting from one game to the other as far as EA is concerned is piracy, and we don't like to piss off EA 'round here. Thanks.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Eminence Grise
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 2:06 AM
Though there should be no issue with converting third party TS3 mods to TSM, right HP? So, in relation to the OP's question, if Lisen wanted to convert her TS3 steampunk set to TSM, assuming it's doable, that should be fine from a legal standpoint, I imagine?
Scholar
#12 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 7:09 PM
So what is the difference between converting Sims 2 to Sims 3 and converting Medieval to Sims 3?

I got medieval for my son and I think the Sims are better looking, more natural, the skins are lovely. I left a post on Simlogical to ask if there's any way to add the skins to S3PE and S3OC I guess I might get a similar reply there to the one being given here, though I don't understand why. Surely if they didn't want it to be converted, they'd use an entirely different method to produce it?

I don't see the difference at all between what we've already done and what people now want.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#13 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 7:26 PM
fluttereyes, I don't think HP's post was an invitation to debate the policy on this site. Leesester has a response in this thread (post #8) that might answer your question. Mostly, though, I believe if EA sees any potential for monetizing their content, they don't want other sites making it available for free.
Scholar
#14 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 10:06 PM
thanks mangaroo, sorry I thought the thread was still open. I'll go look at the other one