Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#101 Old 24th Jun 2011 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShortyBoo
I really don't understand why people seem so intimidated by MATY. I'll be on other forums and see people saying how they're afraid to go there all the time. I personally love it. There's nothing wrong with making people search and at least attempt to solve their own problems. Plus, I love how they don't really tolerate bad spelling, grammar and punctuation. I'll go on other forums and see people using no capitalization or punctuation, bad spelling, etc. and it drives me nuts. The worst site for this is the official forum. I would think all the people there are in elementary school from the way they type. I really wish more forums would have rules against using chatspeak, or bad grammar/spelling in general.
I wouldn't say that I feel intimidated by MATY. However, I find it a really unpleasant site. Rather than quickly finding answers, I quickly find lots of lots of pages of people insulting each other. I hate having to wade though it all for the few posts where someone actually says something useful.

MTS has rules again chatspeak, bad grammar and spelling. But, it's still a pleasant place to visit.
Advertisement
Instructor
#102 Old 24th Jun 2011 at 4:29 AM
I don't think it is wrong to have rules, however, rudeness and meaness isn't okay with me. Sites where people are hostile to newbies, even for asking the same lame questions, eh... It's like hazing the freshmen. Not my scene. I'm a live and let live type person, and think its harder sometimes to be kind than it is to be rude and insulting, so I can sortof see how some don't like MATY.
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 1:23 AM
I love Twallan Mods all the way!!
Eminence Grise
#104 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 3:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShortyBoo
Plus, I love how they don't really tolerate bad spelling, grammar and punctuation. I'll go on other forums and see people using no capitalization or punctuation, bad spelling, etc. and it drives me nuts. The worst site for this is the official forum. I would think all the people there are in elementary school from the way they type. I really wish more forums would have rules against using chatspeak, or bad grammar/spelling in general.

The grammar nazis at MATY drive me nuts, because they are completely hypocritical. Not only do they not use perfect grammar and spelling themselves, but they also don't know the correct terminology for describing other people's errors. There's a DIFFERENCE between typos, spelling errors, lexical errors, morphological errors, and syntactic errors... and if you're going to accuse somebody of a morphological or syntactic error in particular, it helps if you can actually CORRECTLY cite the "rule" of grammar that is being violated, something that the MATY grammar nazis consistently get wrong. Moreover, it is hard to find a post by any of those people that is not itself afflicted by usages that would strictly speaking be considered errors by a good editor.

And all of those types of errors are also different from consciously adopting the conventional usages of particular internet dialects. For instance (among others): the old Usenet acronyms of the "AFAIK" type, emoticons and various types of laughter tokens, 1337, chatspeak, lolcat, or any of the hundreds of peculiar usages embodied in various Internet memes. The latter set of practices can't properly be regarded as errors at all: they are more like accents or dialects which people adopt as a means of expressing their identity, and there are different standards for different dialects. The MATY regulars make very ample use of many such practices that are in no way part of Standard Written English... particularly the family of usages lovingly bequeathed to us by 4chan (which is where most of the "cute" usages folks seem to think came from MATY actually derive from, like the pancake bunny).

So, yeah. People who live in glass houses should keep their critiques of other people's language use to themselves.
Test Subject
#105 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 4:19 AM
It's Twallan mods for me. I tried Awesome once and just didn't care for how it functioned, the interface, etc. I really love Twallan's mods, easy to use, defaults are good if you don't want to tune, he is always updating, and they just plain work good in my games. I didn't install Generations until he updated his mods. That's how much I think of his work and how useful they are. I've had little if any problems with them. If I find a problem, it's usually always updated when I go to the site.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 8:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The grammar nazis at MATY drive me nuts, because they are completely hypocritical. Not only do they not use perfect grammar and spelling themselves, but they also don't know the correct terminology for describing other people's errors. There's a DIFFERENCE between typos, spelling errors, lexical errors, morphological errors, and syntactic errors... and if you're going to accuse somebody of a morphological or syntactic error in particular, it helps if you can actually CORRECTLY cite the "rule" of grammar that is being violated, something that the MATY grammar nazis consistently get wrong. Moreover, it is hard to find a post by any of those people that is not itself afflicted by usages that would strictly speaking be considered errors by a good editor.

And all of those types of errors are also different from consciously adopting the conventional usages of particular internet dialects. For instance (among others): the old Usenet acronyms of the "AFAIK" type, emoticons and various types of laughter tokens, 1337, chatspeak, lolcat, or any of the hundreds of peculiar usages embodied in various Internet memes. The latter set of practices can't properly be regarded as errors at all: they are more like accents or dialects which people adopt as a means of expressing their identity, and there are different standards for different dialects. The MATY regulars make very ample use of many such practices that are in no way part of Standard Written English... particularly the family of usages lovingly bequeathed to us by 4chan (which is where most of the "cute" usages folks seem to think came from MATY actually derive from, like the pancake bunny).

So, yeah. People who live in glass houses should keep their critiques of other people's language use to themselves.

Amen. Every time I have to wade through another thread at MATY I just want to tell everyone to quit complaining until they have taken a course in linguistics.

To answer the original question, I use both. I've tried using just Twallan's Story Progression, but wasn't happy. Tried using just Awesomemod, wasn't happy. It seems to be the combination of the two that works best for my play style.
Mad Poster
#107 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 5:30 PM
I do appreciate what the members of MATY are doing by posting "Search Moar". Like what someone posted here before, I do wish the insulting and other off-topic things could go to RetardoLand and leave the information in the gameplay threads. I have learned about computer games by reading and notepadding stuff from MATY and here. The information is in there, just use the search feature on the site.

What burns my hide at the official forums is all the single letter for each word posting. "QSTTUBSTIJJKOOOO11!!!" What in the hell is that? I don't understand it or know what to think of it. (btw, that is just some random letters, don't mean anything) Maybe some type of language that older people like me is not suppose to understand. I appreciate forums that don't allow such postings.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#108 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 6:07 PM
MATY is like wandering in to a tech area where you are supposed to know the answer before you ask the question.. I generally use awesome mod and Twallin. However. Over on MATY it is made plain that if you ask a question you are going to get bounced on for it.. SO I do not register and do not ask.. If his mod does not work.. I presume that he was to lazy and didn't care to fix the problem for people that he has freely offered this mod up to.

Seriously I appreciate that it is free.. But there can be a balance between.. I am a modder and am doing this out of the kindness of my heart now worship me.. And bending over backwards to help as though owed something to that person.

I think the modders here and well else where are fairly good about helping a person understand the concept what a mod can or can not do.
Alchemist
#109 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I do appreciate what the members of MATY are doing by posting "Search Moar". Like what someone posted here before, I do wish the insulting and other off-topic things could go to RetardoLand and leave the information in the gameplay threads. I have learned about computer games by reading and notepadding stuff from MATY and here. The information is in there, just use the search feature on the site.

What burns my hide at the official forums is all the single letter for each word posting. "QSTTUBSTIJJKOOOO11!!!" What in the hell is that? I don't understand it or know what to think of it. (btw, that is just some random letters, don't mean anything) Maybe some type of language that older people like me is not suppose to understand. I appreciate forums that don't allow such postings.

Unfortunately, the result of answering every question with 'Search Moar!' not just once, but from several users dogpiling responses, trying to be one of the cool kids, is that when you do search for something, you have to sift through a lot of 'Search Moar!' posts until you find the one post that has the information you seek.
And since awesome mod's features are not all documented on the download thread or in the configuration file, you kind of have to follow the awesome mod discussion thread in the hopes that Pescado might mention one of his undocumented features during the course of the discussion there. There's no way to search for that stuff, since what the undocumented features are is unknown, so there's no keyword to enter in a searchbox to find it.
Mad Poster
#110 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
Unfortunately, the result of answering every question with 'Search Moar!' not just once, but from several users dogpiling responses, trying to be one of the cool kids, is that when you do search for something, you have to sift through a lot of 'Search Moar!' posts until you find the one post that has the information you seek.
And since awesome mod's features are not all documented on the download thread or in the configuration file, you kind of have to follow the awesome mod discussion thread in the hopes that Pescado might mention one of his undocumented features during the course of the discussion there. There's no way to search for that stuff, since what the undocumented features are is unknown, so there's no keyword to enter in a searchbox to find it.

Well, like I said before, I don't use Awesomemod because of those hidden, undocumented, unable to control features. There were some things I miss, like the ability to depreciate lots from edit town, but Twallan's mods have satisfied my game, modding needs.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#111 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 12:08 AM
while we're on it, anyone know if awesome is updated yet for 1.22/8.0?
Test Subject
#112 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 2:56 AM
In my desktop, at home, I've AM and several Twallan's mods. But I use only Twallan's mods on my laptop. I travel a lot and after finally getting to my hotel room, I really don't want to go dig in the kindergarten called MATY to find a solution if there's an issue. The funniest part is that the bullies there often would not be able to answer even if they wanted to. I've the uttermost respect for Pescado, just wish he would persuade the children to stay in RL.
Instructor
#113 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 3:14 PM
Twallan's. Awesome made my game glitchy and rather slow and some of the features just weren't what I needed. I think mods are like favorite foods: it's all subjective based on your tastes and preferences.

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by USNCaseySmith
while we're on it, anyone know if awesome is updated yet for 1.22/8.0?

Yes, it is out for a few weeks. But threre is no annoucement. Download the mod on the normal site and look at the date. When there is the date of june, it is the new one.
Test Subject
#115 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 12:16 AM
Hello I just recently got into modding and have noticed that any sims I want to download all need a slider hack like awesomemod. I decided to use twallan's master controller because it says it can up the slider limit. So does this mean the sims will show up properly in game now? Also I've tried to download things from here but sometimes it says no cookie and I'm not logged in so I can't view this item. I know the site is going through maintenance but is it my fault of the maintenance, and about how long until I will be able to download things? Thanks.
Mad Poster
#116 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 2:17 PM
Along with the MasterController, I use the MC Intergration mod by Twallan. When I tweak downloaded sims that have used the slider hacks, they don't go to the game defaults. I can continue fixing them to my liking without consequence. I don't use any extra sliders other than the pointy ears, so I don't know how that would work.

Test Subject
#117 Old 5th Jul 2011 at 1:29 AM
I have been using AM for a long time and am very happy with it. Saying that, I recently became aware of Twallan's mods and as I wanted to get some more tattoo options I also installed MC and the Expanded Tattoo mod. I must say, after checking out all the options in MC that I'm impressed. The only think I didn't like initially about MC was how it added the NRaas menu item to almost everything. Fortunatly, Twallan has included some settings for that as well, so now I've configured it so that the menu is only visible on computers and of course, the town hall, which I find much less intrusive.

Having read up on Twallan's SP mod, I'm planning to play some games with this installed to see how that goes. The only I need to confirm is if I need to disable the SP option for AM or will this take care of itself. I recall reading somewhere that AM had been coded to detect other SP mods and disable itself accordingly.

There are still a few other things that I'm not clear on. For instance, if AM and MC have the same function but both have different settings - let's say turning aging on/off - which one takes control. And in this example, would it actually matter if I've turned aging off in the EA main menu? Also does MC take into account the sacred settings of AM?

As you can see, I like the idea of running both AM for some of the excellent fixes it comes with and MC for the extra control it gives me as well as the SP mod. But there doesn't seem to be a clear picture on how to best use the two together in harmony.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#118 Old 5th Jul 2011 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gorki247
There are still a few other things that I'm not clear on. For instance, if AM and MC have the same function but both have different settings - let's say turning aging on/off - which one takes control.
The stronger setting will take control, in all likelyhood. Since on is the default, setting it to "off" anywhere will thus break the circuit and stop it from functioning.

And in this example, would it actually matter if I've turned aging off in the EA main menu?
The general policy of AwesomeMod is to seamlessly integrate with the in-game options where possible, so toggling the in-game options panel options will produce the intuitive result. I have no idea how Twallan handles that.

Also does MC take into account the sacred settings of AM?
No. Twallanian story has its own ruleset and having it installed will cause AwesomeMod to detect it and not run any of its own story features, as it figures you installed that for a reason.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Instructor
#119 Old 5th Jul 2011 at 6:31 PM Last edited by TheLB : 6th Jul 2011 at 1:58 AM.
I use Twallan's mods, just because I like having different mods for different things that you want changed, as opposed to a big brick of a mod that does everything, whether you want it to or not.

Right now I have Master Controller, Story Progression, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Custom Careers, Woohooer, and The Written Word, and I love all of them very much. (:

"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit at a typewriter and open a vein."
-Walter "Red" Smith
Field Researcher
#120 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheLB
I use Twallan's mods, just because I like having different mods for different things that you want changed, as opposed to a big brick of a mod that does everything, whether you want it to or not.

Right now I have Master Controller, Story Progression, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and the Custom Careers.

What does Error trap do?
Instructor
#121 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
What does Error trap do?
From the website,

"This is a core-mod intended to catch and correct data corruption errors that can render a save-game unloadable.

Errors that are automatically corrected :

1. Corrupted fridge inventories are corrected
2. Corrupted family inventories are corrected
3. Inventory items that are no longer valid are deleted
4. Interactions that are no longer valid are deleted

Any corruption errors that can not be corrected will be trapped and logged, allowing the save-game to load regardless.

Unhandled script errors may be posted in the mod thread for evaluation and possible repair."

You can find the latest version here.

"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit at a typewriter and open a vein."
-Walter "Red" Smith
Forum Resident
#122 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 1:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
What does Error trap do?

Error Trap is very useful in catching script error that would have crash or freeze your game or corrupt a save game. I can't imagine my game without it since I installed it.
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DHNightshadow
Yes, it is out for a few weeks. But threre is no annoucement. Download the mod on the normal site and look at the date. When there is the date of june, it is the new one.

I thought it was just a beta though?
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 6th Jul 2011 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by USNCaseySmith
I thought it was just a beta though?

No, when you can download it on the normal site. It is the right mod. The test version is not out on the normal site.
But you have to look fot updates or get the modupdater on Maty. Don't know what it does, because I update manually.
Field Researcher
#125 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheLB
From the website,

"This is a core-mod intended to catch and correct data corruption errors that can render a save-game unloadable.

Errors that are automatically corrected :

1. Corrupted fridge inventories are corrected
2. Corrupted family inventories are corrected
3. Inventory items that are no longer valid are deleted
4. Interactions that are no longer valid are deleted

Any corruption errors that can not be corrected will be trapped and logged, allowing the save-game to load regardless.

Unhandled script errors may be posted in the mod thread for evaluation and possible repair."

You can find the latest version here.

Thanks! I have downloaded Error trap since.

This thread has piqued my interest in Awesomemod as well so I have been checking it as well as frequenting Twallan's site for help with his mods.

I have come to the conclusion that Twallan is like the kind young man who helps the old lady (me) across the road and visits his old Granny on a regular basis (not to get $$, but because he is a kind and thoughtful person. On the other hand, J. M. Pescado & his crew are like young thugs would who knock over the old lady (me again) stealing her purse and laughing about it. They would visit Granny to get something from her, but not because they care.

This is just my opinion and impression as one who loves this game and loves all the mod and cc goodness I can find, but is fairly illiterate about computer stuff. I am so grateful to those who do help oldsters like me who remember when color TV was unheard of!
Locked thread | Locked by: simsample Reason: Descending into a debate about rudeness.
Page 5 of 15