Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2012 at 1:30 PM
Default What did you do with the premade Townies, Downtownies and dormies?
Unlike the playable sims, townies have no backstory. So, it’s always interesting to read the unique ways players incorporated these sims into their gameplay.

So, what you did with your townies, downtownies, dormies and any other premade non-playable sims?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 6th May 2012 at 2:37 PM
Killed them all with empty templates lol.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th May 2012 at 2:50 PM
Delete them with Theo's SimPE plugin, and let the game regenerate new ones with the face templates I have. As for the new ones, they're just...there.

Occasionally there will be one I deem worthy enough to marry into one of my families.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th May 2012 at 2:55 PM
They vapourised with empty templates. NO MORE townies!

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#5 Old 6th May 2012 at 3:00 PM
My sims often used to marry some of them and I killed the annoying ones. Now I don´t have the default townies anymore and instead let the game generate new ones and/or create my own.
Theorist
#6 Old 6th May 2012 at 3:16 PM
Going by memory:

One townie, a respectable looking woman with medium red hair, became a wife of one of my sims. She was a judge in that hood.

Another townie, a blonde in blue jacket, black pants and a skewed hat, was married into the Cookes and became a renowned policeman on the top of her career. Afterwards she was abducted by a fan, was forced to have a baby who was her own clone (that fan wanted a beautiful boy for her own daughter), turned into a zombie and and ghoul, using somebody's hack to create ghouls.

The guy in red short and green glasses was married in many times. First he became a sports topper, later a spy topper, and once he got married to Bella Goth and died in the way I fail to remember (possibly from her hands).

Benjamin Long was a best friend for my sims many times.

Marisa Bendett once married my sim who was so interested in his career that he had no time for her. She started a criminal path, and I got bored with them all, so there's no finishing touch to her story.

The strangely dressed guy with a second name Lillard was married in and became a top politician. I don't remember what happened, but I think I got bored playing with that family after they had kids who grew to teens.

Kaylynn Langerak moved in with Brandy Broke once, to help her with kids while Brandy was a work.

Bella Goth in Strangetown moved in with many sims and killed all of them off for their money.

Meadow Thayer was played two times. First she married into my playable family and became a pizza delivery girl. She visited the camping site on vacation many times and had a good life. Second time she married into Kevin Beare after making her playable. She was a green fan, and she had a nice tall round house all in green and lived off of getting gifts for outings most of the time, or from the wishing well's money.
Alchemist
#7 Old 6th May 2012 at 3:51 PM
I use clean uber-megahood, with several townies that have roles, e.g. Kaylynn Langerak, Abhijeet Cho, BV employees, and garden club members.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th May 2012 at 3:59 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as empty templates when I started Drama Acres, and I think now it's a good thing. I mean, they still annoy me quite a lot, when I suddenly see brand new ones even though I've installed No Townie Regen, or the game insists on sending them home with my sims instead of all the perfectly good playables I've got, or they block my view of what's going on during a community lot outing, but I've gotten good use out of some of them, too.

The first major townie in my game was Mr. Big. I had no idea there was such a thing as Mr. Big. As far as I could tell, he was just this guy named Brady Ryan with whom Madge Estic had triple bolts when she met him at Lucky Shack Cards and Drink. She wanted to marry him, so she did. I was astounded at the amount of cash and miscellaneous goods he brought with him. Also, at the amount of primping he could do. The primping called for a certain smarminess, so when he rolled a baby want on the wedding night and Madge didn't, I thought, well, she was isolated from the outside world for the first thirty years or so of her life, she'd probably believe him when he demurred on birth control on the grounds that he had low motility. And the Professional Party Guest job he held ideally suited him to raising the resultant kid - only one; Madge wasn't doing this a second time! - while workaholic Madge went back to work. But he was steadfastly uninterested in her son by her first marriage, who was in college when they met. And then Margaret grew up, and he got bored at home alone, and the Diva was coming onto him, and there is that primping vanity to deal with...I decided to play fair on that - he and Madge have always been very affectionate, and Fortune sims generally are steady if left on their own - and set it up as a game challenge. I gave him a Romance secondary and made it the rule that, as long as he had any wants that could be filled without involving the Diva, he'd distract himself with those. He could never invite her over, or accept any invitations made while Madge and Margaret were on the lot with him. It's all worked out well enough that I never have any idea how it's going to go in a given rotation. He's been caught on community lots by his nephew, sister-in-law, and stepson, but never by Madge or Margaret. And there's something about Madge's whole bearing toward him, not to mention the way she sought out the Diva on a community lot once and started telling her about the romantic trip to Three Lakes she took with her husband - I think she knows all about it, has a good idea these days of exactly how weak her husband is, and rises grandly above it all.

Then there were the Tricous, who don't count for the question, because they have backstory. I didn't know about it at the time, and could still care less about resurrecting the original Tricous. I don't see what anybody wants those unpronounceable folks for. But Lora and Beverly befriended a couple of my playables, and in order to keep college rolling I take townie teens who have established relationships to University, and once I realized the girls had brothers I had to bring them all in, and they have their own distinctive arc in the overall game. I can't imagine now how Jimmy Phoenix would've played without Lora, and there's never a dull moment with Bad News Beverly around. The Tricous are a gold mine of drama.

That's what townies are all about, for my money. Yes, it's a pain in the neck when they photobomb the big moments your dates, trail the playables home when you want to make connections with other playables, and cold call people in the middle of dinner. But jackass Estebanico Casa would never have found a suitably naive wife among the playables - he needed Tosha Go. Romantic superstars Georgette Skirt, Clovis Point, Leslie Gay, and Mary Munny would have a sadly limited dating pool without townies and dormies, and some of the more ubiquitous players have developed their own background trajectories. One of the Romance downtownies, the guy who looks like he came out of 70s blaxploitation flick, has a job as a judge (I've gussied him up into a suit on that basis), but is constantly courting charges of disorderly conduct as he roughs up other men from the same dating pool. He also chats up teenage girls in bikinis even though I don't have any mods to allow teen/adult romantic interaction - if I did he'd almost certainly focus his attentions on jailbait! Charlie Tang keeps introducing his lovers to each other on outings. And so on. There's stories in them thar hills!

Because I don't make townies or dormies playable until they have a story function - even if it's only to keep the Greeks alive during slowdowns in the stream of incoming playables - I haven't had a single one that I didn't have fun with. I came close on Alon Livingstone, the paperboy, who I brought in because he triple-bolted Sparrow Hawkins, but that match never meshed, he had too many skill points and not enough internal conflicts to be interesting to run, and when her single-bolt boyfriend from high school came to college she made it clear to me that Alon was never going to be more than a dalliance for her. The sorority needed a new girl, so I pulled one out of the townie pool and tossed her down, and blammo! Triple bolts with Alon and an LTW to be a criminal mastermind, just the thing to make him interesting. I love former papergirl Amy Jones, with her shy personality conflicting with her Popularity aspiration, and her match with Orlando Centowski, who's going to stay home writing novels while she works on becoming mayor. I love Jim Spitzig, former dormie, secret society member, and plaything of serial daters, with his self-destructive urge to be with women who are bad for him, and his strange best friend/rival relationship with frat brother Estebanico Casa.

Townies are wild cards. They keep me from being too in control of the story.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th May 2012 at 4:28 PM Last edited by maxon : 6th May 2012 at 6:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
turned into a zombie and and ghoul, using somebody's hack to create ghouls.

oooo - tell me! Pleeeease <wheedle>

Actually, now I think about it, I lied earlier.

Before Little Carping was shorn of its townies and remade in 2007, there were, of course, the original townies in the hood. Some of them (a choice few) were permitted to enter the annals of Little Carping as actual playable sims.

Kennedy Cox caught the eye of Amelia Vaughan on an occasion when Mercer Vaughan was being particularly beastly and louche with the females of Little Carping and Amelia was distraught. Philippa Cox was the product on that occasion. Kennedy eventually married Amelia after her divorce which involved one of my most enjoyable playing sessions ever where Mercer got drunk constantly toasting the bride and fisticuffs ensued. Kennedy went on his honeymoon with a black eye but wasn't nearly as sore as Mercer. Horace and Henry, Mercer and Amelia's teenaged sons, were horrified when Kennedy kissed the bride (I'm not sure, exactly, what they were expecting there) and hated him for quite a while afterwards. They lived at home at the time (before uni) and so there was a lot of poking.

Speaking of Mercer being louche, he was, of course, an absolute dog when it came to the ladeez of Little Carping and pursued them all with vigour, except, for a reason I never really divined, Randolph Goth's wife, Cecilia. They never got along - ever. I like to think she saw right through him. Pity she didn't see right through her own husband too or she might not have ended up having his illegitimate son living in when she found out he'd been having a long-term affair with Phoebe Sororah (Randolph Jnr's mother). Gunther wasn't pleased either - his father seemed to prefer his second son. But that's a whole other story.

Talking of Pheobe's affairs, she had a one-night fling with Amin Sims and produced Chloe Sims. He had to come along in the Great Townie Purge because, otherwise, Chloe would have no father and Phoebe no memories of cheating on Mercer (and where would that leave us?). He's moved in since Phoebe died and is currently house-sitting - Chloe is due to leave (very) shortly for university.

In a similar way, Cornelia Goth had a Lady Chatterly moment with the gardener, Leo Depiesse, and produced a cuckoo for Gunther's nest called Helen. Leo is still the gardener in Little Carping and even still gardens at Buckingham Manor (the Goth residence) though Gunther still goes for him if he's still there when Gunther returns from work.

There were a couple of student move ins too - Audrey Larrea moved in with Joshua Williams after university and they have a little boy called Caleb now. But uni townies don't really count for this thread because although they all look alike (built to the same template), they have different names in everyone's games and lack enough distinctive and consistent personality to be memorable.

Edit: Peni - I resurrected the original Tricous and they live in that house. I don't always play them on the rotation though and treat them as semi-townies. They are my vampire pool (though not all of them are vampires). I dressed them in Victorian costume and made up a story about them being resurrected by Constance Sororah and Alex Crumplebottom having lain in dormancy since 1892. They make pretty good moving scenery. Gvaudin escaped and went to college where she became a goth and is currently engaged to Edward Crumplebottom, Alex's brother - at least till she caught him ACR-embracing one of the townie students I made. Now I'm not sure but I don't think she wants to go home to her crazy family.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Instructor
#10 Old 6th May 2012 at 5:04 PM
I will not accept the Downtownies with new names. For ex. in my Downtown the blonde guy with the black lipstick is Adrian McAuley and his half brother with the geometric hairstyle is Patrick Gregory. Etc etc. They can not be allowed in another neighbourhood with different names.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th May 2012 at 5:05 PM
Well, I see that many of you have either deleted them, killed or didn't give the townies a chance to come to existence, unlike me, the base population of my neighborhood, Townie Place (based on the name Melrose Place), is that of Townies. For example, there are the Tellermans (Komei and Jan), who now have a son, Bradley.

I decided not to make any more CAS sims, only to use those that are available.

Some of my Townies are now parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.

There are almost 30+ Households.

Its not only townies, its also the NPCs. Derek, the paper boy, is now in college with his girlfriend-soon-to-be-fiance.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 6th May 2012 at 6:24 PM
Okay, this is me going from my Pleasantview neighborhood.

For some reason, a lot of BWV townies are hot for my Pleasantview playables.

This is Alan Kimbrell, a Bluewater Village townie teen. He knocked up Angela Pleasant from a one-night stand. He is now married to her, they're adults and they are expecting their second child.

I think this guy's name is Dominique Broke. He fell in love with Brandi Broke, and married her. He wants to marry off six kids, so I feel really sorry for Brandi in that regard.

Corey Larson (ne Carr), the husband of Jason Larson. Of course, I gave him a makeover. They are in triple-bolt bliss, and have an adopted teenage daughter named Brenda.

Lyndsay Worthington (nee Fuchs), the wife of Frances J. Worthington III. She's the one in the second row who looks the most like a slut. She's a romance sim, but I haven't had her cheat on Frankie yet.

I believe this is Jerome Bruty, married to a born-in-game alien named Susanna Bruty (nee Taylor). They're in college, but keep popping out stupid babies.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th May 2012 at 7:05 PM
In Desiderata Valley I let the game generate new townies (using my templates). One of them, whose name is Malcolm Evans (I also use my own name templates), is married to the second daughter of Cyd and Tara (Kat) Roseland. Her orphaned younger brother is staying with them until he moves out, goes to college, and marries John and Roseanne Mole's orphaned daughter.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Instructor
#14 Old 6th May 2012 at 9:02 PM
I think Kennedy Cox looks like Benjamin Long. They only have different hair color.

In my game Benjamin has illeg.something(How you say) children with his many mistresses and he is *very* irresponsible.
Kennedy is a pillar of society.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 6th May 2012 at 9:55 PM Last edited by gazania : 7th May 2012 at 4:29 PM.
No ... I don't kill off all my townies, Downtownies, etc., nor do I plan to download any empty templates. I don't mess with the Ottomases, though, even though I downloaded a fixed template, so they SHOULDN'T cause problems. I guess, however, that years of "don't touch 'em!" are hard to break. Other than those folks ... the others are fair game. I do use the no-regen mods, though so I can cap the population explosion somewhat. And I have to confess that I rather like when a new maid or dormie pops into the game. It adds an element of surprise for me.

After months and months of trial and error, and from picking between several default templates from several fine creators, I have about 95% of the default templates I like, and I don't plan to do that much more switching. They do not deuglify EVERY townie, which wouldn't be fun, anyway. Who wants a town where all the Sims are gorgeous? That sounds too much like a bad thriller or SciFi movie! Anyway, most of the "stock" townies don't look all too bad, and my CAS Sims have married several of them, or asked them to move in. Some premades have served as live-in maids or nannies, though I use CAS ones for that as well. Some have been home-wreckers or one-night stands. Some have been long-time best friends with my CAS ones. Who serves what purpose varies between neighborhoods and "incarnations" of these neighborhoods (resets).

I've married off every Malcolm Landgrabb in my towns, and in every one, he is rather a bad boy. His wealth, unfortunately has gone to his head.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Instructor
#16 Old 6th May 2012 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Delete them with Theo's SimPE plugin, and let the game regenerate new ones with the face templates I have. As for the new ones, they're just...there.

Occasionally there will be one I deem worthy enough to marry into one of my families.

If you don't mind me asking, can you give me a link to that plugin and/or a tutorial on how to use it? I'm planning a post-apocalyptic neighborhood (my founder's currently in college) and I'm NOT looking forward to seeing Goopy and Co. roaming the streets.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 7th May 2012 at 12:32 AM
Townies...where do I begin?
In Stonebridge alone I've had several stories. John Peterson and his wife Dava were a happy couple with a beautiful daughter, until he grew closer to townie Melissa Fancey at a party. They started dating, and he got a green memory of cheating with her, so I figured, eh, what the heck? I moved her into the apartment above with boolprop and gave her John's baby boy Jeffry. But, after some time, John felt the need to go back to his wife, so Melissa started seeing Jan Tellerman (they are now engaged). However the second I had Melissa start flirting with Jan, John ran over and slapped her for cheating! Later, John and his wife and daugher moved out, and had a housewarming party. I guess I must've accidentally invited Melissa, because as John and Dava tried to woohoo during it, they were interrupted by a very angry Melissa, who slapped John several times. Tell me how that makes sense, what with the web of cheating she's caught up in?
Anyway, the only other townie my sims have gone past friendship with is Ricky Cormier, who is engaged to Hun Si Hong and started as a teenager (I aged him with the sim modder). They seemed good together at the time, but they each got a red memory of getting engaged, so I'm wondering how long they'll stay together.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Mad Poster
#18 Old 7th May 2012 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amalia81
If you don't mind me asking, can you give me a link to that plugin and/or a tutorial on how to use it? I'm planning a post-apocalyptic neighborhood (my founder's currently in college) and I'm NOT looking forward to seeing Goopy and Co. roaming the streets.

http://sims.ambertation.de/en/kb/entry/62/

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Forum Resident
#19 Old 7th May 2012 at 3:20 AM

Wait wait wait....how do you do this?

IRT

I let them live. I never kill off sims unless it's for a story line or if it just happens in game. I usually make them selectable(safe ones of course ;D) then use InSim to change their faces..plastic surgery and such. But I'd love for them to spawn with my face templates...*is not hinting towards anyone to explain how they did it*

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 7th May 2012 at 3:39 AM
I don't mind playing Maxis townies, though I admit if I start a new hood, I'll be getting rid of them as I have played some of them too many times.

Meadow Thayer actually married my founder, which was a poor decision since she's a family sim and they had no money. They had 6 kids, resulting in some very poor households afterwards due to the no20khandouts cheat.
Brandon Lillard married a lovely wife who gave him three kids. He started a scottish themed grocery store called "Lillards". The uniform is kilts, and all of his family wear kilts as well (downloaded). The store became vastly popular and quickly reached level 10. One of his children ended up marrying a witch, so now many of his grandchildren are masters of witchcraft. He has now passed, and his grandson currently is the store owner. They're thinking of expanding it to the other districts.
Goopy Gilscarbo joined the military after being asked by his on again, off again girlfriend (she was really good looking). Eventually, she realized he was no good for her, and she married another woman. Despite his lack of effort in the army, he actually reached the rank of General. He retired, finally committed to a family, and now is living in a very well off house with his wife and young daughter.
Sandy Bruty also joined the military. She was having an affair with the general, and just recently had his kid. Now she's married to Sandy Fairchild, who took the last name Bruty (two Sandy Brutys). Both being romance sims, they don't have time for each other, as they are too busy with other people.
Malcolm Landgraab and Francis J Worthington are mortal enemies, both sharing the same never-ending goal of being supreme businessmen. They both have trophy wives and are in the process of saving up as much money as possible to upgrade their houses. Both are currently having trouble producing a male heir as Malcolm has three daughters and Francis J has two.
Ricky Cormier married one of the founder's daughters awhile ago. She passed away very quickly due to a fire. He remarried adult version Ivy Copur, where they had four children. After he became an elder, and his teens became older, he met newlywed Allyn Lillard (Thomason, married to Brandon Lillard's son) at his job, and realized she was the one. Their sneaking around lasted for a very long time, but got caught after she birthed a set of twins: one black, and one white. Brandon Lillard's son, not being black, realized that there is no possible way for her to have birthed a black child without having cheated on him, left her and the twins on the street. Unfortunately, by this point, Ricky had passed away, so she had no place to go. She quickly married Craig Ray, who took in her and the kids and became a real father to them. They developed a large family having 6 more kids. The Cormiers never really found out about the affair or the twin children.
Tosha Go married one of the Centowski kids, and they started up a family farm.
Scholar
#21 Old 7th May 2012 at 9:04 AM

Does this completely wipe everything for the sims as it should? I've only seen Pescado's batbox method for deleting sims being mentioned, but that requires much more steps than this plugin :O
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 7th May 2012 at 10:57 AM
The most memorable and hated townie for me was Amin Sims, because he creepily stalked my main family for 2 generations. After he met the founder once, he called her on the phone every day until they were best friends even though she never called him, and then he started barging into their house every day and bothering them. I guess maybe a lot of outgoing sims do this, but this guy just seemed especially annoying. If I didn't ask him to leave, the founder's husband would beat him up repeatedly, but Amin still wouldn't leave until like 3AM. One time he said he was leaving and I thought he did, then a few hours later he said he was leaving again, he was still there... I think he had been outside creepily watching the family through a window. Then after one of the family's daughters grew up and moved out, he started coming to her house all the time too, even though their relationship was at 0. I haven't seen him for a while now but I'm sure he's still lurking somewhere...

Other than that, really nothing interesting
-- The other daughter of that family married Ricky Cormier. He gets uglier as an adult... He's working on a music career and they'll have kids but not yet.
-- A long time ago, the very first sim I ever made married Benjamin Long, and I think they had a kid, but they were both so boring, I didn't play them much
-- I think the first time I played Nina Caliente, after she had a kid with Don, she had another kid with Joe Carr.
-- Abhijeet Deppiesse married another custom sim I made, they had two kids, and they were going to be my main family but I ended up deleting that neighborhood...
-- A lot of sims in Strangetown got together with townies in my old game but I forget most of them...
Instructor
#23 Old 7th May 2012 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for that link, Alexandra! It turned out to be a lot easier to use than I expected, so (after backing up of course) my post-apox hood is now free of Goopy and Co. as well as those pesky social group townies.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 7th May 2012 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CocoMouse
The most memorable and hated townie for me was Amin Sims, because he creepily stalked my main family for 2 generations. After he met the founder once, he called her on the phone every day until they were best friends even though she never called him, and then he started barging into their house every day and bothering them. I guess maybe a lot of outgoing sims do this, but this guy just seemed especially annoying. If I didn't ask him to leave, the founder's husband would beat him up repeatedly, but Amin still wouldn't leave until like 3AM. One time he said he was leaving and I thought he did, then a few hours later he said he was leaving again, he was still there... I think he had been outside creepily watching the family through a window. Then after one of the family's daughters grew up and moved out, he started coming to her house all the time too, even though their relationship was at 0. I haven't seen him for a while now but I'm sure he's still lurking somewhere...

Yes, he is a bit like that and his daughter, Chloe, seems to have inherited the outgoing streak. She's forever doing the pointy finger thing. Still he's an elder now in LC and will die before long (yes, yes, he will) so we'll see if he's as annoying as a ghost in St Chad's churchyard.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 7th May 2012 at 8:35 PM
I have found that I can use the deleter without using the Batbox first. So far so good (unless someone tells me that doing so has resulted in a BFBVFS). But you have to load up the 'hood FIRST. THEN you go into SimPE and get rid of whoever you don't want.

I've found out that even with the new templates, when you load up a university neighborhood, the dormies and professors are still using the Maxis templates. So I delete them and let the game regenerate new ones (there's a lag when you first move Sims into a dorm, as the game is regenerating everyone).

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Page 1 of 3