Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 3:00 AM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 4th Oct 2009 at 4:20 AM.
Default Acrostacking Objects in "The Sims 3"

So, yesterday I found a way to cover objects with terrain. Today, while experimenting again, I managed to find a way to cause objects to FLOAT. It was really an inverse process, so, it wasn't that hard to discover. Anyway, I whipped up a tutorial for you guys to play around with. I have noticed though that you can't stack plants, both decorative and real. Enjoy!

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6
Step 7
Step 8

Again, PLEASE test and play around with this, I wanna see how it works for yinz guys!

~Q
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Stacking Objects Pictorial.zip (1.38 MB, 408 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Stacking Objects Words Only.zip (879 Bytes, 152 downloads) - View custom content

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
30 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 4:27 AM
QBUILDERZ, that's a fun thing you found there. Thank you for taking the time to share it.
Wiki Wizard
#3 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 3:59 PM
Wow, another super tutorial, and a brilliant name to go with it look at you, you little name technique making person!

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 2:15 AM
You must have a lot of time on your hands. :P
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RiBlan
You must have a lot of time on your hands. :P

It is summer and I discovered these while writing for the site - I figure it was the nice thing to do by sharing my findings, it's what the site is for

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 3:48 AM
Hmmm never thought of using it like that. I usually use that terrain thing to hide fountains in pools so you can just see the ...uh... fountain... you know the water sputtering... geez, missing some words again here, lol.
Means I'm using some sort of inverted version with lowering the terrain, putting a fountain in and closing the gap above it.

Just a plain undecorated version
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 4:04 AM
^ That would relate more with geoblending, but yes, the same basic principle applies.

Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
^ That would relate more with geoblending, but yes, the same basic principle applies.

Better now? . (Now that I put some objects where I wouldn't have been able to put them without "geoblending" the pool... lol)
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 2:52 PM
XD - Looks really cool!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 2:56 PM
Wow, That's awesome! :O
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 3:47 PM
Ok, today I was trying to build a cave with those huge rocks with that technique, but I had some serious troubles with pathing. Did you try that yet? Any tips maybe? Or am I just whack with trying to let my sims live like a bat?
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 7:57 PM
I don't think you'll be able to do the method with anything in the landscape section. I haven't managed to successfully do it so far. Same thing applies with potted plants.

Test Subject
#13 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 8:25 PM
I don't think you'll be able to do the method with anything in the landscape section. I haven't managed to successfully do it so far. Same thing applies with potted plants.

Well, I have this perfectly working swim-through arch...

Hmmm so maybe the pool might be the key?
Ah stupid me wasn't precise enough with describing my problem. I can store the stones pretty high one on each other, the problem is that I cannot get them to be "closed" on top, without ruining the walking-through ability. I had them about twice as high as a sim is, but as soon as I tried to close it, the way was blocked.
And then I had a version where some of the top rocks fell through even below the floor and blocked the way from there...
Hmmm maybe I'll do some more tests... Just thought you might know something or maybe someone else who experimented with that.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 8:44 PM
AH, I see what you mean, it has to be at LEAST 16 clicks high for a sim to pass under it

Test Subject
#15 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 9:58 PM
AH, I see what you mean, it has to be at LEAST 16 clicks high for a sim to pass under it

Ah... *scratches her head*
Oh my, that will end in some stupid counting with those rocks... *laugh*
(or trial and error...)
Thanks for the info
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 6:41 AM
Thanks... very clear, so the TS3 objects won't be readjusted by the grid level layers, cool.

I wish there's a thanks button if good.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 6:54 PM
This is cool, I was able to use this method to stack/arange paintings at different hieghts on walls.

In the proccess I stumbled upon another thing that I'm not sure if anyone else knows, with 'moveobjects on' fireplaces can be dismantled.
Screenshots

ClicknPsycho
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 6:58 PM
^ Yup, that is how people adjust their chimneys. As for the paintings I demonstrated that right...

http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=361942

...there! It is a fascinating technique to play around with, I am glad you took the time to perform it :D

Field Researcher
#19 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 7:01 PM
I just downloaded those paintings, haven't played them yet.
I didn't realize you used that on them, I thought they were just at that height.

I was just excited. lol

Keep wowing!!

ClicknPsycho
Field Researcher
#20 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 8:08 PM
Thanks all for the great tutorial and other usefull inpute by other simmers
Test Subject
#21 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 11:51 PM
wow this will definitely make houses in the sims 3 even more creative and unique, great job QBUILDERZ very cool
Scholar
#22 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 9:51 PM
Nice technique for a slum hood! LOL...Thanks Q!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 7:35 PM
Thanks for the support guys Glad to know it is working for yinz

Test Subject
#24 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:06 AM
Really awesome :D. I think that would be great for decorating a... don't know the word... but that little rooms where people stack all the things that don't use and don't want to trow away :P
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 4:46 AM
Cubbyholes?

Page 1 of 2