Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 4:33 AM
Default all because of a walnut...
I have a story to tell, a story with a moral.

I go to an old university here in the south, it has huge sprawling walnut trees, The trees have been there so long that the sidewalks buckle because of the roots. So I was walking to class from my dorm building and going up these said sidewalks hearing the chattering of the squirrels and feeling the brisk winter air when suddenly, BANG! I go falling flat on my face. I go to move after my initial stun wears off, and what's this? My ankle is on fire! I can barely move it without scorching pain going up my leg! I look back to see what I had fallen on expecting a branch or a bump in the sidewalk, but no! it was a tiny little walnut sitting there laughing at me. I manage to limp my way to class and back, make it to the doctors a few days later, sat through hundreds of xrays and a terrible exam to discover I have torn a tendon in my foot! So now as I write you this tale, I am sitting in my boot wondering when I must schedule my visit with the orthopedist to see if I need surgery... and thinking all because of a walnut...

*this story is slightly embellish, I am actually in a boot waiting on a visit with the orthopedist. and I really did slip on a walnut...
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 6:02 AM
Don't be beaten by a walnut! Don't hate all walnuts! Walnuts have omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidents to help you deal with stress. That one walnut was an asshole, but you can beat him by recovering in spite of him. Every time that walnut fails, you will take a step forward.
#3 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 7:47 AM
English or Black walnut? Seems to me that the English walnuts are easy to crush, but the shell of the black walnut is a tough nut to crack. I could see stumbling over a black walnut.
Theorist
#4 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 10:46 AM
Eastern black walnuts. It's the MTSU commons, right?
Scholar
#5 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 12:32 PM
I had a box turtle called Walnut once when I was little, I loved him, but he had come with an infection from the petshop, and he died, despite the vet's best efforts
Scholar
#6 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 1:54 PM
So the moral is ... "if you spend all day listening to the squirrels, you'll slip on the walnuts" ...?

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Scholar
#7 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 1:59 PM
Next time a wallnut harms you: eat it
Banned
#8 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 6:29 PM
Take that walnut to it's place - Wall Street! Watch as it goes bankrupt and gets all depressed!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 6:55 PM
I used to have a walnut tree in my backyard. The squirrels threw them at us whenever we were outside.

The walnut was innocent! A squirrel set it all up! They've evil masterminds!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 8:22 PM
Ouch, that sounds positively painful. It's amazing how the littlest things can cause so much trouble., But Shoosh is right, don't judge all walnuts based on the action of a bad few. Walnut trees are beautiful and walnuts are wonderful food.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 9:19 PM
/me is just glad it wasn't a pecan
*loves pecans* Pecans rule!

I must admit that I've never tripped on a walnut, or any other kind of nut. But it -is- the littlest things that can get you. I've tripped over my own shadow more than once. Not that my shadow is all that little, but it sure isn't something that gets in the way and trips you up... unless you're me, that is. Then it definitely does.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
Eastern black walnuts. It's the MTSU commons, right?

It was MTSU right out in front of Peck Hall, if you know where I'm talking about. lol

and yeah I don't judge all walnuts and I do have a sneaking suspicion it was the squirrels because they do throw stuff at us! They are devious little rascals.

And thanks everyone for the well wishes! I am currently sitting with some ice on my foot to help it
#13 Old 21st Feb 2015 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
I used to have a walnut tree in my backyard. The squirrels threw them at us whenever we were outside.

The walnut was innocent! A squirrel set it all up! They've evil masterminds!

Walnuts don't kill people. Squirrels with walnuts kill people.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
Walnuts don't kill people. Squirrels with walnuts kill people.

This calls for stricter walnut control laws.

Several years ago in Australia we had a walnut buy back scheme to take walnuts off the streets and since then there have been no walnut massacres.

I think the stats speak for themselves.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:06 PM
I've never seen a nut tree, besides Chestnuts. The kind in my hometown, we couldn't eat. So we threw them at everything .. and left them on the tracks so trains would pulverize them. It was quite boring growing up there. So, you could teach the walnut a lesson and threaten it with a train. :D

She was rouge and red lips, dark hair and soft hips, mischief and laughter - and she wanted you to love her faster.
Inventor
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nymphetamine
I've never seen a nut tree, besides Chestnuts. The kind in my hometown, we couldn't eat. So we threw them at everything .. and left them on the tracks so trains would pulverize them. It was quite boring growing up there. So, you could teach the walnut a lesson and threaten it with a train. :D

I'm just thinking. what have them poor chestnuts ever done to deserve being smashed by train wheels?

when I was a kid, we put holes in chestnuts, then threaded sting thru the hole and played conkers. I'm not sure if that's any more lethal than putting them on railway lines for unsuspecting trains to drive over.

'You're a pretty pair of babies, playing with your live doll' Mrs Higgins, My fair Lady
Inventor
#17 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 12:41 AM
This thread seems to be quickly turning into "Random Bolloucks: Walnut and Nut-Related Edition..."
And in that spirit....

I once had a stupid story idea years ago where a group of women would bond over killing their SO/Fiance/Boyfriend with nuts. Like one of them was "accidently" fed something with nuts in it when he was horribly allergic and died that way.

Now that I think about it, I think one of them was supposed to die by tripping down some stairs or something after going sliding on a nut...a....walnut....

OH SHIT.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 1:01 AM
I think there was a movie about women bonding over a group murder, but I like the twist of the walnut...

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
#19 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
I had a box turtle called Walnut once when I was little, I loved him, but he had come with an infection from the petshop, and he died, despite the vet's best efforts

That's so sad. Reminds me of when my guinea pig got sick and died. Took him to the vet, and the vet was like "you know you can buy 10 of these for what you're spending on the office visit, right?"

He had a "tortoise shell" coat - brown, black and white. I guess that's what reminded me of the poor little boar.