Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 5:53 PM
Default Milkshape 3D 1.8.5 bug
So, I' m really sorry if this topic doesn't fit with the section I'm posting it in, yet I don't know where to post this, since the official MS3D site doesn't seem to be updated frequently, and I didn't find any troubleshooting guide concerning MS3D. So, I've been out of the whole meshing business for a long time. Yet, yesterday I decided to reinstall MS3D 1.8.5 beta, since I was discontent with the plastic surgery I've given to my servo to make them look human-like, and there weren't any sliders for ear position( their ears turned out horribly) . The program seemed to work fine, so I decided to try and extract their face mesh and edit it with MS3D( I did that once, but only with Bodyshop films) . I extracted both the regular and the LOD version of the mesh, and it seemed that only the LOD version has been influenced by the surgery( the original had the template face given to the servo when I aged them to elder, and then back to adult) . I went on with editing the LOD version, fixed the ears, but unfortunately my grandma came in and started to argue because of me not going to sleep, so I had to force shutdown my computer. Today I first faced a problem with SimPE, which said that a root component to run the program is absent, and only deleting it and unzipping it once again helped. Then, I encountered a bug with Milkshape. First, the grid has disappeared on the view panels. I turned it back on, yet it seemed much bigger. Then, when I imported TS2 meshes, the view was bugged. Some faces from the background were seen in front of the other faces, in a way not unlike from that when TS2 accessories are not updated for EPs later than Pets. I tried importing different models of different formats, same thing happened. I've attached a screenshot of what MS3D did to one of the 3D models I downloaded from Models Resource. Also, [IMG][/IMG]I tried reinstalling Milkshape multiple times, that didn't help.
Screenshots

Hates her nickname.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 11:06 PM
I don't know if that's a MilkShape bug or just a mistake. Elongated body parts (like the fingers on the right hand) are often because of something that's gone amiss with the skeleton (wrong age, duplicate skeleton, etc.).

I wouldn't bother with the LOD mesh, personally. I doubt most modders do. It's just one more thing to worry about (and one more thing that can potentially get borked). Work on the regular mesh first; you can always make your LOD mesh later, once you've got a working model.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
I don't know if that's a MilkShape bug or just a mistake. Elongated body parts (like the fingers on the right hand) are often because of something that's gone amiss with the skeleton (wrong age, duplicate skeleton, etc.).

I wouldn't bother with the LOD mesh, personally. I doubt most modders do. It's just one more thing to worry about (and one more thing that can potentially get borked). Work on the regular mesh first; you can always make your LOD mesh later, once you've got a working model.

Nope, I guess you got it wrong. The model that I took picture of is not from the Sims. Like I said, it was downloaded from Models Resource, and the character whose model it is( Rayne from Blood Rayne) has elongated fingers as far as I know. That' s not the bug I am talking about. The bug I am talking about is about the models is that sometimes the details from another side of the model show up, not unlike on the bugged TS2 accessories. Only I doubt it has something to do with my copy of TS2( I've been using the same repack for 4 years, all my mods were tested on it, and everything always worked up till now), since the bug spreads not just on the TS2 meshes, but on every model I import? Unfortunately, I have already deleted the exported meshes, but the bug is on every model, so I'll send you another screenshot of what it did to a non-TS2 model so that you can see the bug I am talking about more clearly( it's especially visible on the head) . I wonder if it was caused by LOD editing, but then why did reinstalling the program not help?

I would have edited the original mesh if only the surgery done to my servo was preserved in the original mesh. It looks like whenever plastic surgery is done to servos, it is preserved only in a LOD mesh, while the original mesh contains just a standard template. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the way servos work in game. That's why I edited the LOD mesh, beause it contained the edited face.
Screenshots

Hates her nickname.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 7:57 PM
That last image looks like you have a texture (albeit a fairly unimpressive one :p) loaded with the alpha dropdown on the wrong setting.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2015 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KindGenius
So, I' m really sorry if this topic doesn't fit with the section I'm posting it in, yet I don't know where to post this, since the official MS3D site doesn't seem to be updated frequently, and I didn't find any troubleshooting guide concerning MS3D. So, I've been out of the whole meshing business for a long time. Yet, yesterday I decided to reinstall MS3D 1.8.5 beta, since I was discontent with the plastic surgery I've given to my servo to make them look human-like, and there weren't any sliders for ear position( their ears turned out horribly) . The program seemed to work fine, so I decided to try and extract their face mesh and edit it with MS3D( I did that once, but only with Bodyshop films) . I extracted both the regular and the LOD version of the mesh, and it seemed that only the LOD version has been influenced by the surgery( the original had the template face given to the servo when I aged them to elder, and then back to adult) . I went on with editing the LOD version, fixed the ears, but unfortunately my grandma came in and started to argue because of me not going to sleep, so I had to force shutdown my computer. Today I first faced a problem with SimPE, which said that a root component to run the program is absent, and only deleting it and unzipping it once again helped. Then, I encountered a bug with Milkshape. First, the grid has disappeared on the view panels. I turned it back on, yet it seemed much bigger. Then, when I imported TS2 meshes, the view was bugged. Some faces from the background were seen in front of the other faces, in a way not unlike from that when TS2 accessories are not updated for EPs later than Pets. I tried importing different models of different formats, same thing happened. I've attached a screenshot of what MS3D did to one of the 3D models I downloaded from Models Resource. Also, [IMG][/IMG]I tried reinstalling Milkshape multiple times, that didn't help.
Hi : if you suspect there is something wrong with milkshape, check this out ,It helped me to reset when I had problem. look here BTW ,if you uninstall ms3d. you have to go into registry and take away a few things ms3d has left behind otherwise it is useless and upon reinstalling you'll have the previous problems inherited because of those files in registry. Read on that site I refereed and they do talk about this.