Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 9:54 PM Last edited by losail27 : 14th Aug 2016 at 11:59 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Problem with new graphic card guide
Hello! I know that tones of threads reffering to this problem have been created but after searching for a lot of time I didn't quite find a solution to my specific problem.

I just got a new laptop and I started adding me EPs. I have the habbit to check if my game is working after installing each EP and SP so I checked after installing just the base game and it was working fine. After that I procceded to install Ambitions and when the installing was done I tried to open the game. The Launcher was opening, I was clicking the game button but the game never opened. I decided to install Late Night too to test my luck. The game opened but when the town map loaded everything was black appart from the lots that were white. I decided to unistall and reinstall everything again.
Now I've installed the base game and the Ambitions EP. I tried to run the game and again the Launcher opened and when I clicked the play button a window saying that my graphics card wasn't recognized popped up. So I started searching through the forum to find a solution and I came across this and this. I found the first one impossible to understand and decided to go with the second one. So I started following the steps and when I opened the "graphicscards.sgr" file I couldn't find the card 0x6798 "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series" line in the file. And even if I did, I have absolutely no idea what the device of my GPU is nor how I find it.
Note: DeviceConfig.log is competely empty.

My Specs are:
CPU: AMD A8-7410 APU (2.20 GHz)
RAM Memory : 6 GB
1TB HD
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R5 M330 (2 GB)

Sorry for my poor English and thanks for reading!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2016 at 12:36 PM

I updated my GPU.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 10:41 AM Last edited by losail27 : 15th Aug 2016 at 11:20 AM.
EDIT: I did everything and the game is now working. Thank you very much!

I have one last question though. After installing everything I noticed that my grapics card hasn't the best quality. Is it a poor graphics card?
My sister runs Sims 3 on a 2011 laptop with a Intel GMA 4500MHD GPU and the graphics in her laptop are better.
Instructor
#7 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 12:03 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 15th Aug 2016 at 12:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by losail27
After installing everything I noticed that my grapics card hasn't the best quality. Is it a poor graphics card?
My sister runs Sims 3 on a 2011 laptop with a Intel GMA 4500MHD GPU and the graphics in her laptop are better.

It's not a poor graphic card, but there are class/rank for each graphic card, so maybe your sister's laptop Intel GMA 4500M HD is ranked higher than yours since her laptop don't have dedicated graphic card.

To give you a better understanding about graphic card performance, download GPU-Z and run it in your system and your sister's laptop to compare them, look at the the Pixel Fillrate, Texture Fillrate, Bus Width and Band Width boxes, the higher the numbers the higher the performance of the GPU so the higher its class in its class of gpus.., that's what TS3's default graphic setting classified them based on the list in the GraphicCard.sgr for each type of gpu model, why your Sims, Tree etc details setting are lower/higher than hers.

Now some laptop also have dedicated graphic card besides its primary gpu, some also known with dual switchable graphic, like my laptop for example, mine have Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT610M for its dedicated gpu, the Intel is the primary for almost every task the computer runs them, but when the program needs more rendering performance, then it will switch to its dedicated gpu which is the Nvidia GT610M, my GT610M not necessarily more extremely powerful than my HD 4000 if you look at the GPUZs screenshot below, for old games the HD 4000 might perform better since its much powerful in Pixel Fillrate performance, but lower in Texture Fillrate compares to my GT610M, newer games like TS3 will performs better with more details if the gpu is more powerful in its Texture Fillrate, that's why when TS3 was launched, the system will automatically switch from HD 4000 to GT610M as it was programmed for more rendering performance. The benefit of the dual switchable graphic, you don't use more power when you don't need to, only when it's in game mode, but also better performance overall.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 12:35 PM
Nevermind I had forgotten to change my settings. Thanks for the help anyway!