Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 8:19 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Launcher not working on Ubuntu 16.04
I'm not sure if anyone here has tried Sims 3 on Ubuntu, but I recently installed Sims 3 + All expansions/Stuff packs in Ubuntu, and when the launcher starts up it displays this message:
http://i.imgur.com/aMLf8AI.png?1
I've tried re-installing it to no avail.
Anyone know what's happening?

Bypassing the launcher works just fine, but this keeps me from installing .sim3pack files.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 6:30 PM
I am not familiar with Ubuntu OS at all but one question sticks out in my mind. The Launcher relies on certain files in Internet Explorer and if I'm not mistaken, possibly other system apps in the Windows environment. Maybe someone in here can confirm what/if Win applications other that IE are needed for the Launcher. Perhaps if you look into that you might find some answers.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 6:59 PM
According to some people on the official forums it requires the whole Adobe shebang: Flash (and Shockwave) and Acrobat Reader, but I don't know whether this is really the case.
I'd rather think in this case it's the dreaded version 0.0.0.0 issue from what I can see in the screenshot. Bad install.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 8:32 PM Last edited by barbarat : 20th Aug 2016 at 9:21 PM.
It was Adobe I forgot about. Thanks @DonBabilon. I might be off base here but I would imagine it will stay in that bad install status until the game/Launcher can access system files needed to run such as IE and Adobe. The same scenario has happened to folks trying to save disc space by installing the sims on an external drive; the game can not find the files it needs. Hopefully someone with more tech experience will come along with a work around if that is the case.

Only specuation though..hope I'm wrong