Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:16 AM
Default Following guidelines, no joy
Hi,

I have placed the resource file (no .txt) in my Sim 3 folder

Skin Packages were copied to a newly made Mods\Packages folder

I start Sims 3 and create a new game, new character

The new character does not have any of the new skins.

What could I be doing wrong ?

Playing the game from my E: drive but that should not be an issue...

Rgds

Cyd
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:37 AM
Out of curiosity, how many people that are having problems with getting CC to work are running straight from the .exe and not through the game launcher?

(Or how many people are running it with the CC working straight from the .exe and not through the launcher, if any?)

Just a wild thought I had.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#103 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:47 AM
I don't use the launcher whatsoever. I run purely from the TS3.exe.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#104 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:08 AM
Bah, well that tosses my idea away.
EA certainly went out of their way to make it a lot more difficult to add user-made content (outside of the game) to be brought in. (Part of which I believe plays into their little shop service for new content... but I digress.)

In any case, I'm running Vista Ult. SP1 x64, and have the game installed to default location. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\..)

As per instruction, I've placed the Resource.cfg file at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\..
and the content to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages\..

Looking through the config file, the paths and wild-cards should be allowing it to work and load the content on running, but it's not. I'm pretty much just annoyed and have given up on it.

UAC is OFF, and my rights are ADMIN. The only other thing I could think of possibly being a problem would be COMODO x64, but I have the game listed as safe and allowed in its profiles.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#105 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:30 AM
Vista 64 does seem to play silly buggers with this method. ^_^ First things first: Start small, with the nointro hack. If that works, move onto the patterns. If those work, everything else should be fine. If absolutely NOTHING works then make sure you dont have any extra resource.cfg files in Mods\Files, and that the resource.cfg is actually called that (and not resource.cfg.txt).

If you really really get stuck, you can always try the InstallHelper.exe file I've attached (requires .NET framework 2.0) but I make absolutley zero guarantees it'll make things better.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  InstallHelper.rar (4.2 KB, 76 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
#106 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Vista 64 does seem to play silly buggers with this method. ^_^ First things first: Start small, with the nointro hack. If that works, move onto the patterns. If those work, everything else should be fine. If absolutely NOTHING works then make sure you dont have any extra resource.cfg files in Mods\Files, and that the resource.cfg is actually called that (and not resource.cfg.txt).

If you really really get stuck, you can always try the InstallHelper.exe file I've attached (requires .NET framework 2.0) but I make absolutley zero guarantees it'll make things better.

I have hidden extensions off, I hate having them hidden. It's a true .cfg file, so that's no issue.

Vista comes with .net 3.0 already, and mine's at 3.5 with the latest SP for it.
I do not have a
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Files\.
folder, however. Nothing was stated to make a path of such, nor did I see any files directed to be installed in said pathway.
Test Subject
#107 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:05 AM
Thanks, the For Dummies destructions were perfect!!!!
Test Subject
#108 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Razvan you know thats exactly what we have in the wiki guide, right?

It shouldn't be the exact same thing, since I hand typed it and the first time I messed up and typed "mod" instead of "mods". I did not copy/pasta if that is what you imply. I simply wanted to provide a nice step by step guild for making this work that might help someone.
Field Researcher
#109 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:45 AM
I am still left scratching my head because all other mods work, but I still have no new patterns. I can't figure out why they aren't showing up. Hell, HP's skins are showing up just fine, and so is her "no zzzs" mod.
Giblets for hire
#110 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:14 AM
Are you absolutely certain they're not showing up? They won't have a custom content icon on them.
Scholar
#111 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:25 AM
There seems to be a conflict between Vista, the Resource.cfg and foreign installations.

With my game installed in german, and all files/directories in the right places the game didn't load.

I deinstalled the game and reinstalled it in english and now everything works perfect.

Is there a way to change the Resource.cfg that it works with the german installation, too?
Instructor
#112 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by arathea
There seems to be a conflict between Vista, the Resource.cfg and foreign installations.

With my game installed in german, and all files/directories in the right places the game didn't load.

I deinstalled the game and reinstalled it in english and now everything works perfect.

Is there a way to change the Resource.cfg that it works with the german installation, too?

Are you saying that you got everything to work by installing it in English, including custom content? I am in the U.S. so my install is in English and it still doesn't work.

I read elsewhere on MTS the instructions to unhide all file extensions, but when I tried that method the folders that should have appeared according to the directions never appeared. Is this again because I have Vista 64 vs. Vista 32 or XP? I can't find the instructions at this moment otherwise I would be more specific on what I saw vs. what the instructions stated... Arg!!! I just want some body hair and no more sparklies - is that so wrong???

goderguy
Scholar
#113 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:06 AM
Yes, I have the european (multi-language) disc, so I think it is the UK version that works now.
Field Researcher
#114 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:24 AM
Yes, I'm absolutely sure they aren't showing up as I've hunted for them in the spots they were supposed to be in and also the other categories just in case they were mislabeled.
Test Subject
#115 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 10:41 AM
Finally I putted a patterns subfolder in the packages folder, edited the .cfg file and the nipples are working. But shine and other packages are still not working. If I add anything else into the folder, the nipples will not show up.
Test Subject
#116 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:04 PM Last edited by Aethis : 7th Jun 2009 at 2:06 PM. Reason: Missed one
Known RESOURCE.CFG locations:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\..
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\..
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Win32\..
+1 manually added:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\..

Would the one in Shared be causing conflicts with the manually added one?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#117 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:18 PM
If you remove any of the ones in Game\Bin or GameData you will basically break your game as these are whats used to load the *other* package files.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you install to, say, C:\Games\The Sims 3?

Test Subject
#118 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 2:55 PM
OK. trolled here for a while before posting, I hope this hasn't been solved yet...

Installed per directions (lol, but really, I did!)

no mosaic works great!.... but, when I add HP skin no love... Tried adding just a few, went to change appearance and plan outfit to get change, also started several all new sims, still, no go.

Has anyone gotten this to work with default install on vista (32)?

Any ideas?
Test Subject
#119 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:00 PM Last edited by cajunnurse : 7th Jun 2009 at 4:46 PM.
okay...whew..my head is spinning. I've done everything and still no go for me. Any ideas?
Test Subject
#120 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ciddy
Hi,

I have placed the resource file (no .txt) in my Sim 3 folder

Skin Packages were copied to a newly made Mods\Packages folder

I start Sims 3 and create a new game, new character

The new character does not have any of the new skins.

What could I be doing wrong ?

Playing the game from my E: drive but that should not be an issue...

Rgds

Cyd

Same here..are you running on Vista 64 too? I'm wondering if this is the problem...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#121 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:50 PM
digitalsamurai, Yes, HPs skins work fine on my Vista 32 install.

Test Subject
#122 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:39 PM
im trying to download Male-FullyBarbie but when i do i get a diagonstic message stating an error so when i try to extract it to mods/packages file it also says the same thing when downloading it. Any hep?
Test Subject
#123 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:17 PM Last edited by _Gabriel_ : 7th Jun 2009 at 6:48 PM.
ok i figured it out, you have to delete most files in youre "User\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3" Folder, after i delete the following folder and files i have now nippels and so:
Delete the following folders: DCBackup, DCCache, Library. Then delete the files: caspartcache.package, compositor.package, deviceconfig, options, scriptcache.package, simcompositorcahce.package, sims3logs.xml. WEll u have to config youre game again like resolution and so but for me it works, running on Vista 64 Bit SP2 and i did a test on Windows 7 64 bit also... (just on little info, i use the german version of the game...) but theres still a bug that the names of the sims have now much more letters....

UPDATE: Well you have to install youre downloads from the "The Sims 3 Launcher" again then the bug is gone.....

So maybe sorry for my poor english

Greetings

_Gabriel_
Test Subject
#124 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:36 PM
After trying to get the hysterical paroxysm female fullybarbie to show up ingame and not being able to see any changes i tried the nipples only version and it worked on the first try.
I put the nipples only version into the same directory that i had the fullybarbie version in.
anyone have any idea why the fullybarbie version wouldn't work but the nipple only version does?

p.s. i removed the fullybarbie version before putting the nipple only one in.
Test Subject
#125 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nastarnordmire
After trying to get the hysterical paroxysm female fullybarbie to show up ingame and not being able to see any changes i tried the nipples only version and it worked on the first try.
I put the nipples only version into the same directory that i had the fullybarbie version in.
anyone have any idea why the fullybarbie version wouldn't work but the nipple only version does?

Exactly the same what I did. Original skin tone looks very bad. I hope s.o. can fix that soon.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Ancient thread, from the dawn of time.
Page 5 of 11