Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 10:23 AM
Default Is there any way to mass townify?
I want to townify all of my hairs and most of my clothes, but with over 3500 pieces of clothing and over 1500 hairs, it's a daunting task! I installed Wardrobe Wrangler to make it easier, but I gave up shortly after I started.
So what I'm asking is this:

Is there any way to townify a whole folder with the click of a button?
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 6:07 PM
As far as I know, no. How do you have that much clothing and hair? You must have an amazing computer, or a lot of meshless orphans.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 2:56 PM Last edited by Centi : 18th Jan 2012 at 3:07 PM.
Ah, that's a shame. Thank you for the answer!

When I started downloading from Mod The Sims, I looked through all the hair uploads and the top clothes uploads, downloading any I found pretty, and... I ended up with a lot.
Those were numbers from Wardrobe Wrangler, I'm having a closer look at my actual folders now. My Hair folder is 1.27 GB with 1 880 files, and my Clothes folder is 1.45 GB with 4 449 files - that's including meshes and textures and all that. Some of those are readmes and images and such, but those shouldn't take up much space. I haven't checked for orphans yet, but that might be a good idea!

My computer is pretty good, for a laptop. It takes a lot of time to load the game itself, as well as changing your appearance in the mirror and getting new clothes (I use MaryLou and Numenor's coat hook for that), but during normal gameplay it works perfectly, even on max settings.
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 3:17 PM
Well, do a good cleanup of your downloads folder and your computer will thank you for it. Also look for high-poly meshes and really consider removing them. There are tons of high-quality low-poly items available (I'm sure you have most of them already!)

As long as your hairs are color-binned, townies will adopt those hairstyles. CatofEvilGenius has a nice hair binning tool.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 2:01 PM
I've been thinking of doing that for a while, I just need to kick my butt into gear! I'm sure my computer would appreciate it.

Also, I did an orphan search, and it didn't find any at all!

I made sure to only download colour-binned hairs, so that sounds good. I guess the problem is that I started downloading stuff after I started playing, so there haven't been any new townies to spawn with the downloaded content.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 9:40 PM
The Wardrobe Wrangler will let you townify a whole folder. If you check recursive, and then select the top level of the folder that contains everything you want to townify (e.g. "Clothes"), then there should be an option in the drop down menu to Batch Townify. However, it's warned that it's a Beta function, and I've never done more than about 100 files, at the most, at one time.

Plus, you do want to be a little bit mindful on what you actually want to randomly appear. One accidentally townified pair of untuckable pants can give you townies with their butts hanging out! :D

I would do it subfolder by subfolder, make sure you make a backup first, and then check in game to make sure everything is behaving the way you want it to. I used a very early WW version to townify all my clothes, and the way the program did it back then made all of my YA/Adult available clothes disappear from YAs. I had to manually fix everything in SimPE because I didn't backup. I have never had that issue with the latest WW edition, but still, backup, backup, backup!

Phaenoh is correct that binned hairs will behave as townified, but everything else needs a flag alteration at the least. I wrote a tute on geneticizing/townifying everything that includes SimPE instructions for most everything. I do use the WW for townifying clothes and accessories, but I handle everything else in SimPE, as it's pretty simple.

Stories (okay, LEGACIES), Tutorials, and Downloads at my sim journal:
http://rikkulidea.livejournal.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:15 PM Last edited by Centi : 22nd Jan 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Right you are! I guess I didn't look hard enough. I'm in the process of cleaning up my downloads folder now, which includes separating clothes by type. I'll easily be able to townify just my full body clothes that way, so I can avoid butts hanging out. Here's hoping it will be alright with that many files!

I'll make sure to zip up a backup of my files - I always do before I start messing around with them.

I have to say, your tutorials are great! I've used them before for geneticizing some skins, and I didn't have any problems at all.

Thank you for the reply!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to ask this: What happens if you delete custom content (especially hair and clothes) that are in use by sims?
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2012 at 4:38 AM
They just get random new ones. Sometimes they don't and they are left with invisible hair or being naked but oddly shaped. Nothing dire, just funny and easily fixable with one trip to a mirror or dresser.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 7:31 AM
Phanoh's right, it hurts nothing in your game, but if you let your sims have lots of kids or share them with others, there are a few other bits to keep in mind.

Deleting clothes: No issue at all, will generate in new clothes next time you see them. They're also dressed in whatever in Bodyshop.

Deleting hair: No issue in game, will end up with a new hair in game the next time you see them (at least, after a few EPs--before that, they're bald). If you delete a hair a sim's wearing, don't see them again in game and use SimPE to export the sim, they'll show up hairless in Bodyshop and you won't be able to fix that in Bodyshop. (They'll load a hair fine once you've installed them into CAS, but if this is an issue, just make sure you look at a sim you're going to pack up in game before you pack them up.)

Deleting skins: The sim appears as S2 in the game. The effect on breeding can be different, if it's a born-in-game sim, their genes actually remember their parents skintones on top of the one they display, so their children will probably look fine. If the sim came from CAS, they have no other genetic data. As a general rule, though they should probably be fixed in SimPE if you want to breed them.

Deleting eyes: The sim has no eye texture and displays the one painted on their skintone. They absolutely should be fixed in SimPE if you want to breed them, or they will basically be spreading a gene for "has no eyes" around the neighborhood unless you put the eye back in your game.

The last two, especially can be a pain at times. I had a legacy where the spouse from Generation 2 had some less than awesome looking recessive eyes. Around Generation 6, I deleted them, figuring they surely were not in the genes of any sims currently in the household, and BAM a kid in Generation 7 pops up all eyeless because she's got great-great-great-great-grandpa's eyes.

Stories (okay, LEGACIES), Tutorials, and Downloads at my sim journal:
http://rikkulidea.livejournal.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 2:11 PM
You two obviously know a lot about this stuff, and I've learned quite a bit. Thank you very much for your help, both of you, I really appreciate you taking your time to educate a poor noob!