Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 10:41 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Will the game run smoother if I reinstall, or has the mods ruined my computer?
Hi! Hopefully I've posted this in the right section, smack me if I haven't!
I've had TS3 for years now, and since I last reinstalled my computer I've filled the game with tons and tons of mods. It's gone so far that it takes over ten minutes to load. I've tried removing all my mods (both in documents and all in the launcher) but alas, it didn't help much. It still lagged like hell and it didn't run much faster. The thing is, my computer is supposed to be able to run TS3 smoothly, at low graphics. I had a computer before this that ran the game even smoother, and that computer was old! So, to my question. I was thinking; if I uninstall the game(removing mods and whatnot), then install it again, will it run properly without any mods? My husbands computer is worse than mine and he can run it without a problem. I have a Windows 8 64bit computer that is supposed to be able to handle most games. My husband said that this is not possible without resetting my bios or "flashing" it, which he told me NOT to do since it can mess up my computer. Something about the mods ruining the memory..yeah, I have no idea, I'm no computer genius.
I'd like to have about 10 mods, tops. So is this possible, or am I doomed? Because I refuse to reinstall my computer, again.

I'd also like to point out that I have a lot of mods for TS2 as well as other games, if that makes any difference.

Sorry if any of this was hard to understand, I tend to ramble and english isn't my main language.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 11:08 PM
Have you tried running the game without any custom content at all? To do this, simply rename the user files. Go to the Documents > Electronic Arts folder, rename "The Sims 3" folder to "The Sims 3 Backup" or "The Sims 3 Old", then start the game. It will regenerate New User Files and there will be no CC, saved games, saved sims, saved lots, etc because they will be in the folder that you renamed. You're trying to see if the game runs any faster or smoother.

I don't know that using mods will ruin your computer, TS3 is hard on graphics, memory, and the cpu. Yes, adding CC will tend to make things worse, but the main culprit is TS3 itself.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 8:39 AM Last edited by Vinoue : 18th Apr 2014 at 9:50 AM.
I've tried running without mods, as in removing the downloads folder and cleaning the launcher, but not the way you said, no. I could try. And yes, mods at all, from any game, makes your computer go much slower. My english isn't good enough to describe it, but it has something to do with bios and your computer memory.

EDIT: While it did indeed run a little smoother, it still took forever to load the game. But as I suspected, I could have a -little- higher texture graphics, so now I can see the grass and not only something that looks like green sludge! I tried creating a character and moved her into a house, but then it crashed. Hm..
Test Subject
#4 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vinoue
I've tried running without mods, as in removing the downloads folder and cleaning the launcher, but not the way you said, no. I could try. And yes, mods at all, from any game, makes your computer go much slower. My english isn't good enough to describe it, but it has something to do with bios and your computer memory.

EDIT: While it did indeed run a little smoother, it still took forever to load the game. But as I suspected, I could have a -little- higher texture graphics, so now I can see the grass and not only something that looks like green sludge! I tried creating a character and moved her into a house, but then it crashed. Hm..

Your husband is incorrect about flashing the BIOS/UEFI making the game faster. This will not at all make the game faster, and can ruin your computer. Updating the BIOS is only necessary to install new hardware.

Buy most games, we are talking high end games like Crysis, or Bioshock Infinite? Or are we talking pinball and solitaire?
What you are experiencing is stuttering where the Sims take one step, literally stay there for three minutes, and then take another step? If so, you are better off adding the mod Overwatch from Nraas (google it; I don't know if I can post a link here). It will clean-up your game and make it not crash.

Also, can you post computer specs?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 5:49 PM
You mean like dxdiag?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/25/2014, 18:45:24
Machine name: VINOUE
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
Language: Swedish (Regional Setting: Swedish)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P35T-DQ6
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 4874MB used, 2228MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce G210
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce G210
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A60&SUBSYS_90451B0A&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2250 MB
Dedicated Memory: 459 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: ASUS VS238
Monitor Id: ACI23FA
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3523 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3523
DDI Version: 10.1
Feature Levels: 10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/4/2014 16:35:23, 17755424 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4920-11CF-7975-48B01FC2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0A60
SubSys ID: 0x90451B0A
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: oem11.inf:0f066de3ee161bc2:Section003:9.18.13.3523:pci\ven_10de&dev_0a60
Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT