Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sims2Pack Clean Installer V1.6.22 (Updated Aug 2, 2014)

by Mootilda Posted 3rd Jul 2010 at 3:55 AM - Updated 2nd Aug 2014 at 10:28 PM by Mootilda

644 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 460 Feedback Posts, 183 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 26
Site Helper
Original Poster
#126 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 11:53 PM
Default New version available
New version 1.6.12 now available. More work done on recognition algorithm. Can now handle zip and rar files directly; although you'll have to do the file association yourself. Also, there is now a no-install version available, for people who are having problems with the installation; again, you'll have to do the file association yourself if you use the no-install version.

For more information, please see the release history.

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Mootilda is it possible to have a version that does not require installing? Like most of the TS3 tools have? I would like to try to get this to work with OS X and Mono but installable exe's don't work.
Please let me know whether the no-install version works on the MAC.
Instructor
#127 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 3:37 PM
Crazy question... how do you do the file associations? The readme didn't explain how to set up the no-install version. The CleanInstaller.exe does boot up perfectly fine on OS X with Mono, by the way. It just crashed because I didn't know how to even begin going about linking up the files.

(It is also giving me the same error upon initial startup as your other programs, the one about missing colors. I can't test yet whether it also does the bizarre corruption error that I keep getting with LotAdjuster & GridAdjuster... which will only work from initial launch until I quit Terminal. After that, they do the blank screen thing until I completely reinstall Mono and start over. I truly don't understand why... ConvertiWall does not have this problem!)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#128 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 4:26 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 5th Jan 2011 at 4:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by katalina522
Crazy question... how do you do the file associations? The readme didn't explain how to set up the no-install version.
Not a crazy question at all. Perhaps I should add instructions in the zip file.

To set up a file association on Windows XP, I right click on the file and select Open With... / Choose Program... from the context menu. I can then choose a program from the list, or use the Browse button to find the EXE. Clicking on the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" button specifies which program to use when I double click on the file. The same general method should work for all Windows operating systems.

You'll want to add a primary file association for Sims2Pack files (always...) and secondary file associations for zip and rar files (your primary association for these will probably be winzip, winrar, or equivalent).

The CleanInstaller.exe does boot up perfectly fine on OS X with Mono, by the way. It just crashed because I didn't know how to even begin going about linking up the files.
The Clean Installer shouldn't crash just because you are missing the file association. Are you getting any sort of error message?

(It is also giving me the same error upon initial startup as your other programs, the one about missing colors.
I'll check to see whether I'm using any odd (not standard system) colors.

I can't test yet whether it also does the bizarre corruption error that I keep getting with LotAdjuster & GridAdjuster... which will only work from initial launch until I quit Terminal. After that, they do the blank screen thing until I completely reinstall Mono and start over. I truly don't understand why... ConvertiWall does not have this problem!)
A friend suggests that you may be running out of windows resources, which implies that you have too much going on, or that there is a leak of some sort. I'm afraid that there's not much that I can do about this.

Are you running a lot of things at the same time? Has something recently crashed, which could cause the resources to leak?

In Windows XP, I can see who is using the resources by bringing up the task manager. In the Processes view, select View / Select Columns from the menu and add two columns: Handle Count and GDI Objects. You may have to expand your task manager window to see these two columns. If you sort the list on GDI Objects (by clicking on that column in the title bar), you can see who is using a lot of the resources. In my case, it's Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. If you can close down some of the programs which use the most resources, you may find that my programs work better.
Instructor
#129 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 3:46 AM Last edited by katalina522 : 6th Jan 2011 at 7:13 AM.
Quote:
To set up a file association on Windows XP, I right click on the file and select Open With... / Choose Program... from the context menu. I can then choose a program from the list, or use the Browse button to find the EXE. Clicking on the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" button specifies which program to use when I double click on the file. The same general method should work for all Windows operating systems.

Okay, that's very similar to on the Mac, and I remember thinking that it wouldn't work so I didn't try it. (Right click: Get Info --> Open With... --> Browse) I tested this to be sure, and it will not let you choose to open with .exe files because those aren't applications on the OS X system. Unless anyone knows a way to force it via Terminal?

There are also three different .exe files in the folder... how do they affect each other/the program? (cINI.exe, S2PCISE.exe, Sims2Pak Clean Installer.exe)

Quote:
The Clean Installer shouldn't crash just because you are missing the file association. Are you getting any sort of error message?

This is the error info I got in Terminal; I also attached a screenshot of the error window I get in CleanInstaller/Mono because it's worded a bit differently... Looking it over, I think it's just a report of all the missing components and not an actual crash. (?)
Unhandled Exception: System.Security.SecurityException: No access to the given key
at Microsoft.Win32.KeyHandler..ctor (Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey rkey, System.String basedir, Boolean is_volatile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Microsoft.Win32.KeyHandler..ctor (Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey rkey, System.String basedir) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Microsoft.Win32.KeyHandler.Lookup (Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey rkey, Boolean createNonExisting) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Microsoft.Win32.UnixRegistryApi.OpenSubKey (Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey rkey, System.String keyname, Boolean writable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey (System.String name, Boolean writable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey:OpenSubKey (string,bool)
at S2.Sims2Directories.get_UserFolder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Sims2Pack_Installer.WinFormMain.AddSubfoldersToMenus () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Sims2Pack_Installer.WinFormMain.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Sims2Pack_Installer.WinFormMain..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Sims2Pack_Installer.WinFormMain:.ctor ()
at Sims2Pack_Installer.WinFormMain.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Quote:
A friend suggests that you may be running out of windows resources, which implies that you have too much going on, or that there is a leak of some sort. I'm afraid that there's not much that I can do about this.

Are you running a lot of things at the same time? Has something recently crashed, which could cause the resources to leak?

I usually have 3-4 applications open (Firefox, Terminal, Mono/your program, occasionally TextEdit or Preview). I will try it out again with Firefox closed since that eats up the most resources by a long shot, but I am not even using half my available RAM. (*For any Mac users who don't know how to check this, got to Utilities --> Activity Monitor)

The only things that have crashed are GridAdjuster, LotAdjuster, and TS2 itself, which I completely uninstalled/reinstalled three days ago because this is the second time it's stopped working in a month. (After quitting, the game would cease to launch at all.) The first time I restored the game from a backup of my system, but after it did it again I figured something was just corrupted or conflicting, so I trashed it all.

I just got Parallels & Windows 7, so I will try opening fresh downloads of the programs that way just to compare.
Edit: In Windows, all of the .NET programs crashed after the startup screen appeared and I clicked "Next." This includes ConvertiWall, which functions perfectly fine on the Mac side. I am assuming .NET is installed on the Windows system since the programs opened at all. That log is also attached.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Adjuster programs error log.7z (561 Bytes, 9 downloads)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#130 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 4:02 PM
There are also three different .exe files in the folder... how do they affect each other/the program? (cINI.exe, S2PCISE.exe, Sims2Pak Clean Installer.exe)
The only program that you need is Sims2Pack Clean Installer. S2PCISE is a windows explorer shell extension which handles the "Install all" context menu on folders; it's probably useless on the MAC. cINI is a helper and will never be run directly, only through the other two programs.

This is the error info I got in Terminal; I also attached a screenshot of the error window I get in CleanInstaller/Mono because it's worded a bit differently... Looking it over, I think it's just a report of all the missing components and not an actual crash. (?)
Looks like there's a problem with the registry access.
Instructor
#131 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
The only program that you need is Sims2Pack Clean Installer. S2PCISE is a windows explorer shell extension which handles the "Install all" context menu on folders; it's probably useless on the MAC. cINI is a helper and will never be run directly, only through the other two programs.

Ah, thank you. I just installed the other version for Windows and that one is fine.

Re: the issues with the other programs... is it just me? It feels like no one else has this problem. (btw, when monitoring for leaks do I want to be watching the CPU usage or the system memory distribution? Or both?)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#132 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 12:54 AM
Re: the issues with the other programs... is it just me? It feels like no one else has this problem.
As far as I know, it's just you. No one else has reported these problems.

btw, when monitoring for leaks do I want to be watching the CPU usage or the system memory distribution? Or both?
I believe that you want to look at Handles and GDI Objects.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#133 Old 18th Jan 2011 at 5:54 PM
New version 1.6.13 now available. This is a relatively small change, but an important one. Packaged lots will now display an EP or SP name, which is the latest EP used to create the lot. If you do not have the EP shown, or a later EP, then the lot will likely crash your game.

Field Researcher
#134 Old 19th Jan 2011 at 9:25 PM
Default Thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Try this:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=217787

I was also having trouble installing the program because the Registry contained information on an older version. Thanks so much for guiding me to this information!

One additional tip for those of us who don't access our registry very often: You need to run Regedit.exe to make these changes!

"Don't harsh my melon." -- Alexis Denisof
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#135 Old 21st Feb 2011 at 3:53 AM
what about for sims 3 ?
Test Subject
#136 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 9:11 AM
Default Clean Installer For Mac
Please, Can you create Clean Installer for Mac too? Thank you!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#137 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 3:47 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 5th Mar 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by oxdessyxo
what about for sims 3 ?
The Sims2Pack Clean Installer will never work for the Sims 3. The installation instructions for TS3 on modthesims were incorrect; they've been fixed now.

Quote: Originally posted by icyspecialcutter
Please, Can you create Clean Installer for Mac too? Thank you!
As far as I know, it already exists. Try the no-install version. You'll have to set things up yourself; I don't have a MAC, so I can't provide instructions. Ask a MAC person if you need help.
Sockpuppet
#138 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 3:28 AM
I think the question is : do you plan to do a Sims3Pack Clean Installer ?

I know Delphy already released a Sims 3 Pack Multi-Extracter but it extract only the packages.
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=364038
Site Helper
Original Poster
#139 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kabuto
I think the question is : do you plan to do a Sims3Pack Clean Installer ?
At this point, I don't enjoy playing TS3. I don't even have it installed. So... no, I don't intend to work on any TS3 tools.
Test Subject
#140 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 10:04 PM
I cant get 1.6.13 to work, it says I need to get the latest version online. /i have installed 1.6.13 yet according to the update box it says i need the newer 1.6.11 version :P. I have tried using 1.6.11 but it says automatic updates are no longer available and I need to download the latest version.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#141 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 12:54 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th Mar 2011 at 1:40 AM.
Sorry, the website wasn't properly updated. Please try again.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#142 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 1:34 AM
thamk you soooo sooooo much!!! XD ive had stuff i havent been able to update for soo long you're a life saver x
Test Subject
#143 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 4:14 AM
Thanks alot
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#144 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 3:08 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I accidentally set my "open with" for sims2pack files to internet, and could not use anything as a sims 2 pack. you saved me! That probably didnt make sense, but whatever. *hugs* thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#145 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 11:24 AM Last edited by kettenhund31 : 28th Mar 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Once again thank you for this invaluable program and for the new update.
Test Subject
#146 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 1:53 AM
It won't work for me and I already have the microsoft program Do you know why? I click install and it says the package was installed, but when i go into the game it does not show up. I also already have custom content in my game so i dont need to fix that.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#147 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 4:14 AM
It's difficult to tell without more information. Could you please run the Clean Installer again and take a snapshot of what you are trying to install, along with the additional screen which comes up when you click Install, which will tell us where the Clean Installer is trying to copy things?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#148 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 12:55 AM
New version 1.6.14 now available. This is an attempt to resolve a problem when running the no-install version on a MAC, and is an intermediate step to providing a reasonable solution for people who want to install CC into multiple save games, such as the AnyGameStarter.

If the path of the save game cannot be found, a dialog will appear, asking you to specify the save game path. This path will be saved in the S2PCI.INI file, so that you will only be asked for the path once; after that, S2PCI will retrieve the information from the INI file.

This change should also benefit people who use the Clean Installer with the AnyGameStarter. By changing the value of the SaveGamePath in the INI file, you can change the default location for all installs.

If anyone has any further problems running the no-install version of the Clean Installer on the MAC, please let me know.
Sockpuppet
THANKS POST
#149 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 3:38 AM
Ok boss
Site Helper
Original Poster
#150 Old 7th Apr 2011 at 10:24 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Apr 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Default How to Set Up the No-Install Version
After getting the Clean Installer v1.6.14 running on your system, you will want to add file associations for the Sims2Pack Clean Installer.exe file.

To set up a file association on Windows XP, I right click on the file and select Open With... / Choose Program... from the context menu. I can then choose a program from the list, or use the Browse button to find the EXE. Clicking on the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" button specifies which program to use when I double click on the file. The same general method should work for all Windows operating systems, and I understand that it is similar on the MAC.

You'll want to set up the following file associations:

- Sims2Pack (always open with Clean Installer)
- zip (optional; just add the Clean Installer as one of the possible programs, you will usually want to open zip files with a standard unzipper)
- rar (same as above)

As well, to use the "Install all" functionality, you can create a shortcut which passes the "-f" parameter to the Clean Installer. When you run with this parameter, the Clean Installer will ask you for the folder that you want to install from.
Screenshots
Page 6 of 26