Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 4:16 PM
Default How to create tombs?
i already tried prima guide and Tomb Creation 101 , but it didn't help me.
i don't need the description of the tomb objects and i know how to put tomb objects.

but i don't understand how to link them, add special behaviors etc(with the ctrl shift click)

i did not find any guide that explaining how to configure the tombs

i don't want to do complex stuff, i want to do basic stuff like making
pulling a torch open/unhide a door or do something
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 10:21 PM
First, turn on the necessary cheats (you knew that):
TestingCheatsEnabled True
BuyDebug

1) Place a (hideable) door. Not all doors are hideable. I know the Secret Hidden Door in build mode is.
2) Shift + ctrl + click on the door.
3) Choose "add the ability to add triggers and activated behaviors" (you'll need to do this for any object that doesn't already have this ability enabled, if you want to make it do something).

If you're using a visible door, you'll want to start out with it locked.
4) Shift + ctrl + click on the door.
5) Choose "lock."

6) Place the torch lever.
7) Shift + ctrl + click on the torch.
8) Choose "enable lever."

----------------------------------------------
This next bit must be done in exactly this order.
If you're using the hidden door:
9) Shift + ctrl + click on the torch.
10) Choose "link triggers."
11) Shift + ctrl + click on the door.
12) Choose "link to activated behavior."
13) Choose "unhide."
14) Shift + ctrl + click on the torch.
15) Choose "link triggers."
16) Shift + ctrl + click on the door.
17) Choose "link to activated behavior."
18) Choose "open."
Optionally, you can have the hidden door close itself.
19) Shift + ctrl + click on the door.
20) Choose "turn autoshut on."
You can also set things like minimum athletic skill, etc., for the hidden door.

If you're using a visible door:
21) Shift + ctrl + click on the torch.
22) Choose "link triggers."
23) Shift + ctrl + click on the door.
24) Choose "link to activated behavior."
25) Choose "unlock."
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 2:46 PM
Default Compilation
Can we compile all this tomb building information into one place? And it would be helpful to spell out the steps for all the interactions in one document. My thanks to every one who is figguring this stuff out.

Oh, the Prima Guide does have some instructions, but they don't cover all the options.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 3:13 PM
ARe you meant to be in live mode or build/buy when you do all this?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 24th Nov 2009 at 11:00 AM
You can do it in live mode. You can buy a lot, put a Sim in it and then build him/her a nice tomb home. You can flip back and forth so the Sim can test the lot and traps to make sure everything works.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Nov 2009 at 10:29 PM
I just found a very nice tutorial on the subject on Simoperation.com.

http://simoperations.com/2009/11/24...-tomb-building/

I must say that the whole "buydebug ctrl shift click" menus are a bit confusing for me.

I found that once my sims have reached the level 3 of a visa and purchased a home in a foreign country, I can visit the tombs and edit them through the buy/build mode while they're on vacation (or at least inspect them... Cheating?? nooo... )

But when my sim is in the base hood, I can't access those tombs, some cheat code is required. Weird.
Test Subject
#7 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 11:56 PM
It would be great to compile all our knowledge re: tomb building in one place. I know there are many things I'm dying to figure out, and the people who have the knowledge aren't telling.

I just re-read my post and am not sure I was clear enough.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 6:47 AM Last edited by porkypine : 6th Dec 2010 at 7:46 PM.
Hi. We have a Wiki gamePlay guide for buillding, cheats, game play help and things of this nature. :0)

If you don't know how to do wiki markup, that's ok. Just post the instructions here and one of the wiki writers will grab it and post it for you. ;0)

Go kick the tires! :0) http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ims_3:Main_Page
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Dec 2009 at 12:39 PM Last edited by chellemh : 1st Dec 2009 at 3:54 PM.
I have built two tombs thus far though I am still learning myself, I will say it isn't as complecated as alot of how to pages make it seem. It's really just a matter of cause and effect. The hardest thing is figuring out what all the varous commands do.
For example...a fire trap that rearms itself after it has gone off.

1 go into buy debug and get the componants. In this case it would be either a wall or floor trap, and two hidden swich panels..(the green ones)

2 place the trap, and one of the floor swiches close together. The floor swiches can be laid through other objects but the traps cannot, so if you are placing a floor trap lay it down, then place the first floor swich next to it for the time being.
3 Control sift click on the trap. Set the state of the trap, and the type of trap it is..ie a fire trap that is hidden and dormant in this case.
4 Control shift click on the floor swich, and select link triggers, then select step on
5 control shift click on the floor trap and select link active behaviors, and then active fire. Then move the floor swich over top of the floor trap. That is it. It is armed and ready to go.

This is the cause and effect. You are telling the game that when someone steps on the floor swich, the trap will turn on.

You can also string multiple commands to objects. So say you want the trap to hide again after it has fired on one sim.
1. Place a second hidden floor swich close to the first one, in an area you know the sim will cross.
2. Control sift click on the floor swich, and select link triggers.
3. go to the fire trap and select link active behavior, and make dormant. That tells the computer that when a sim steps on the second floor swich, the trap goes dormant again.

For the most part all trigger objects are set up like that. If you are useing something out of the regular buy menue then you may have to set the object up to accept triggers, that is fairlly easy as the option is there on things like doors.

I basicly taught myself to do it by selecting a new neighborhood, and practicing building on a lot. Then I would take random premade familys and run them through the gauntlet so to speak. I did it in a fresh hood in case I did something stupid to bug up the lot, but for the most part it has worked out pretty well.

BTW floor traps can be set up to go off without the trigger panel, but for the sake of explaining the basic set up, I used this method instead.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 3:54 AM
How do you hide a room until the sim "finds" it? That is, the dungeon room is invisible until a trigger opens a door or portal into it, at which point it is revealed.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Test Subject
#11 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 6:10 AM
Place the tomb room marker
Test Subject
#12 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 7:48 PM
Any idea why I am not getting the Enable Lever option when I control+shift+click my torch?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 8:33 PM
Did you add the ability to add triggers?
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 12:49 AM
Yeah, the basic method is to use "link trigger" on the trigger-er object, and then "link active behavior" on the triggered object. You can link the same trigger to several different triggered objects by repeating this procedure.

Here's another tip, btw: I like to have my dungeons self-resetting, so that multiple sims per town can use em. That means you can't use things like rubble piles and keystones, which can only be used once. It also means you have to reset the state of your doors and traps and so on. That's easy to do by putting an invisible floor switch near your exit, and linking it to everything else in the dungeon. Or do it room by room, putting the reset switch in front of the exit door... I kind of like the effect of having the doors locking and the traps resetting behind my sims as they move through anyway, since it propels em forward... only way out is through!

One thing I don't understand is how to use the CPU object. Has anybody found a useful tutorial or any documentation at all about that? It has some cool-looking capabilities.
Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 12:51 AM
OK I need a simple site that can give me ALL the imformation on creating the tombs. I found how to put stuff in the chest and all, just not linking the invisible stairways and stuff. Its confusing to me. Does it work sort of like the door?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 7:06 AM
Y'know, just out of dumb curiosity...

Is there any way to replicate the messages you get in the tombs, like the signs or scrawlings from the adventurers lost in some of the tombs? I'm thinking that good use of such things could very well enhance the way you delve, and maybe offer clues or misdirection about the dungeon itself.

Any thoughts?
Theorist
#17 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 7:21 AM
Yeah you can set your own messages too. In the buydebug menu.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 7:23 AM
Oh, that'll come in handy, then.

I've gotten the idea and urge to construct sim-ified versions of some of the D&D module dungeons, and some of the stuff in other video games I've played. The notes and such could add a lot more to that kind of effort.

Thanks for clearing this up.
Instructor
#19 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 5:56 AM
Hey guys I'm working on a tomb that's a big old house changed into a creepy orphanage tomb. (kind of like the mansion in France but with a different storyline.) anyway I want to have a hidden door appear once a stereo is turned on but the problem is I can't get them to link. Also I'm having a hard time finding "link triggers" in the menu for the triggers any idea why? thanks!

Late dawns and early sunsets just like my favorite scenes
Then holding hands and life was perfect just like up on the screen
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauralynn
Hey guys I'm working on a tomb that's a big old house changed into a creepy orphanage tomb. (kind of like the mansion in France but with a different storyline.) anyway I want to have a hidden door appear once a stereo is turned on but the problem is I can't get them to link. Also I'm having a hard time finding "link triggers" in the menu for the triggers any idea why? thanks!

You'll need to tell both the door and the stereo to have link triggers associated to them.

First put in the cheat testingcheatsenabled true, then buydebug (to show all the fancy tomb stuff and more).

CTRL-Shift click the stereo and select the "add ability to listen for activated behaviors" or some such. Do the same for the door.

After that, you should see the ability to link them up.
Instructor
#21 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 12:40 AM
Thanks Beer76! I have now successfully linked the door with the stereo!

I have another question now... It's not totally about tombs but rather about the 'remains' tombstone that are often found in tombs. I want to make one a trigger and I have successfully linked it to a door but the problem is the tombstone is actually an urn because it's in a basement and not outside, but in the game there are tombstones that are in basements that do not turn into urns... Does anyone know to make the urn into a tombstone while inside? Thanks!

Late dawns and early sunsets just like my favorite scenes
Then holding hands and life was perfect just like up on the screen
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 6:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauralynn
Thanks Beer76! I have now successfully linked the door with the stereo!

I have another question now... It's not totally about tombs but rather about the 'remains' tombstone that are often found in tombs. I want to make one a trigger and I have successfully linked it to a door but the problem is the tombstone is actually an urn because it's in a basement and not outside, but in the game there are tombstones that are in basements that do not turn into urns... Does anyone know to make the urn into a tombstone while inside? Thanks!

There should be an option somewhere after entering the testingcheatsenabled true cheat, that will enable tombstones to show as tombstones all the time. I'll see what I can dig up if no one else knows.
Test Subject
#23 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fovex
Place the tomb room marker

That was a lazy answer. I placed a tomb room marker and the room is still visible. Obviously there is more to it. Can someone please elaborate?

How do you make a room hidden?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emily_Rugburn
That was a lazy answer. I placed a tomb room marker and the room is still visible. Obviously there is more to it. Can someone please elaborate?

How do you make a room hidden?

Odd.

Make sure that the fog is set to draw. If you have fog set to no draw, the room will be visible. I made this mistake when I first started building tombs.

If you're still having problems, let me know. I'm happy to help.
Test Subject
#25 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Beer76
Odd.

Make sure that the fog is set to draw. If you have fog set to no draw, the room will be visible. I made this mistake when I first started building tombs.

If you're still having problems, let me know. I'm happy to help.

Thank you! I got it!!!
Page 1 of 3