Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 5:39 AM
Default Manually adding alpha maps to accessories with s3pe or postal
Hi, I'm trying to make an accessory with morphs and a transparency map. Rez Delnava was kind enough to put together a package with the morphs for me, but unfortunately it required a VPXY which I guess needed to be editing with morphmaker or something... anyways, the point is, TSRW no longer reads the file correctly for some reason. (I think it's because it doesn't like morphmaker) So i need to add the transparency map and the manually with S3PE or Postal since CTU won't, can someone tell me how? Thanks!
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 6:46 AM
As far as i know its not possible.
The link to it is located in the prop files(texture compositor property files)
And those are not included in a package generated with CTU.
But i could be wrong.
I think you also need to edit the caspart file, not sure if that is possible either.

Wat you mean by TSRW liking morphmaker?
You dont need morphmaker with TSRW, it will generate the Bgeo files the moment you import your custom meshes.
Neither do you need to include the morphs in your package.(you need to add the Bgeo files generated with BMM and fix the instance # on the Bblend files)

And you can not switch between CTU and TSRW(edit your package with both.)
TSRW handles its patterns and colors diffrently then CTU.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 7:03 AM
Well, I actually did try that with TSRW, before I went the morphmaker way. It messed up the morphs completely, didn't like them at all. So the accessory morphed, but not in the way I wanted it to. I'm not sure, is there a way to import morphs for accessories into TSRW at all? ;/

I'm not sure what you mean by

Quote:
Neither do you need to include the morphs in your package.(you need to add the Bgeo files generated with BMM and fix the instance # on the Bblend files)
?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:32 AM
Well, virtually anything is possible with s3pe, but where the difficulty lies is it's a non-automated process, and not many (if any) people have documented the various resources that would need updating to link the new resource into the object properly.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 10:57 AM
Thanks Inge Jones, I'm not that technical, so I can't really do anything like that.

I did, however, manage to get the morphs and the alpha working with TSRW, but it's only for WA, because TSRW fails when I'm not cloning the WA necklace. Do you suppose this is the best I can do? Or can I remove the WA component somehow?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 12:15 PM
I'll give the link to this thread to the more experienced WS users I know, and see if they can add anything.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#7 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emhpb
I did, however, manage to get the morphs and the alpha working with TSRW, but it's only for WA, because TSRW fails when I'm not cloning the WA necklace. Do you suppose this is the best I can do? Or can I remove the WA component somehow?

Well Hello There! I have to admit I personally am a CAS dummy so I'm not sure I can help you. However, we have found that cloning Objects with TSRW from EP's does not affect the ability for a base game user to be able to have the WA object clones in game. They work for base game users too.

Since I am not a CAS creator, and I'm not quite sure I understand what it is that your trying to accomplish, I can't verify that it's also true for accessories. You may need a tester that only has the base game installed. As far as I know you cannot remove the fact that it's a WA item.

Also have you tried the Plugin for TSRW for S3PE? This may help since you can start off with S3PE and finish in TSRW if needed. Don't have the link handy but I'm sure Inge can post it. :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:02 PM
Thanks Inge Jones!

Catherine, thank you for your reply, but I've tried it with another accessory, and it did not show up in an anygame basgame profile.
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:05 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 20th Jul 2010 at 2:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by emhpb
Well, I actually did try that with TSRW, before I went the morphmaker way. It messed up the morphs completely, didn't like them at all. So the accessory morphed, but not in the way I wanted it to. I'm not sure, is there a way to import morphs for accessories into TSRW at all? ;/

I'm not sure what you mean by

?

They morphs themselves are not part of a package(atleast not the ones made with CTU or TSRW) because the game doesn't use them.
There is just one mesh that is used, the high detail(and med and low for low end comps and far zooming)
That one mesh changes shape( into fat/fit and thin) using the Bgeo files.
Each Bgeo file contains the vertex and normal data from the morphs, but not the morph mesh itself.
When creating a package with CTU you need to make the Bgeo files with BMM and add them to your package.
Note, you also need to fix the VertID's on the base mesh and its morphs when creating custom meshes.
TSRW however will automaticly renumber the vertID's and build new Bgeo files the moment you import your custom meshes.

I already explained how to make a alpha editible accesoire with TSRW based on a basegame clone.
You seen the female alpha skirt and i am sure you can do the same with accesoires.

Edit,
Switching between TSRW and CTU means you need to redo your meshes.
The WSO importer cant handle meshes build or extracted with CTU and vice versa.
Maybe thats the reason?
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:29 PM
Ah, I see what you mean about Bgeo files. I have no idea how Rez did that with my morphmeshes lol. I guess using morphmaker?

So I suppose making the morphs with CTU/BMM and adding the alpha map with TSRW is out then, eh? So my only option is to make it with TSRW.

Let me explain the problem with TSRW. I've successfully made a working accessory with alpha and morphs, using the WA necklace as a clone. The reason I am able to do this is that is that TSRW, for some reason, recognizes the cloned WA necklace as having morphs, while it does not recognize the cloned basegame accessories as having morphs. Therefore, it will not let me import morphs onto a cloned basegame accessory.

So if the problem was with just morphs, or just alpha map, then it wouldn't be an issue. But it's with both, so it might have to be WA only. ;/
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 3:05 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 20th Jul 2010 at 3:18 PM.
TSRW handles the accesoires just as clothing, it contains all necesarry files(morph meshes and Bgeo files)
You clone a basegame accesoire and extract its 3 detail meshes.
You open that mesh in Milkshape with the WSO plugin.(make sure you install the latest!! The TSRW2.0 ones located in its extra's folder)
In Milkshape you create the 5 meshes(do NOT import meshes with WES his importer as those use a diffrent boneorder and messes up your boneassignements)
When done you export them with the WSO plugin and import them back into TSRW
TSRW will now automaticly renumber the vertID's and build new Bgeo files for it.
thats it for the meshes.

Go to the texture tab and enable the transparancy box almost at the bottom
Fix your textures and update the transparancy texture file with the alpha file from your multiplier texture(make sure you use the correct formats!)
Save your WRK file

Start new and open the WA necklace
Go to the meshes tab and look up the material settings for the necklace(think you need the phong settings)
Write them down or remember them.
Open your WRK file, go to the mesh tab and change the material settings into the ones from the necklace.
If this is to difficult, then skip it(you can do this later with S3PE or Postal)

Save your file as sims3pack
If you have changed the material settings your accesoire should showup correct ingame
When you skipped it do the following:

Convert your file and the Egyptian necklace with Delphy's muliinstaller to a package.
Open the the Egyptian necklace and export its GEOM file(for high/medium and low detail)
Open each GEOM file with WEs his GEOM importer and copy the mesh comments(you need the last TGI reference and all that is below)
copy and past it on a notepad, do the this for all 3 meshes.

Open your own custom file and extract also the 3 GEOM files
Open them with Milkshape(Wes GEOM plugin) and past the earlier copied comments in the comment box(replacing the last TGI reference and below)
Do this for all 3 meshes(GEOM's)
Reimport the updated GEOM's back into the package
Save your file

When you used Postal then reopen the package with S3PE and recompress the files you edited.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 3:20 PM
Quote:
When done you export them with the WSO plugin and import them back into TSRW
TSRW will now automaticly renumber the vertID's and build new Bgeo files for it.

^^^^ Okay, this is the part I am on at the moment. ^^^^

When I try to import the .wso back into TSRW onto a cloned basegame object, it says it has too many groups. "3 groups found, expected 1" (I didn't make a fit or pregnancy morph)

However, when I clone the WA necklace and import the meshes/morphs onto it, it does everything as you said it would
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 4:54 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 20th Jul 2010 at 5:34 PM.
Oh crap, forgot all about the groups
checking the shoppin bag i made.......i might have overlooked something.

Edit,
I am so srry....
I cloned the watch for the shopping bag and loaded just one base mesh(for high/med and low detail) in the package.(TSRW)
You dont have to replace the meshes but its a bit hard to fix your textures otherwise.
Fixed the textures and enabled it for transparancy.
Exported it as sims3pack and converted it to package with Delphy's multiinstaller.

The package has now all necesarry files:
Then:
You then need to export the GEOM from your package
Load it with WES his plugins in Milkshape, fix the comments and duplicate the mesh 4 times and make your morphs.(note, these have diffrent comments)
Then export each mesh seperate.(base/fat/fit/thin and pregnant)
You need to do this for all lods(high/medium and low detail)
The base mesh(high/med/low) you reimport back in the package.

With BBM you make new Bgeo files using the 4 morphs.(12 total with the medium and low)
When done replace the Bgeo files in your package with the ones build with BMM(done in the hex tab)

I am srry, its alot more work then i remembered

With both CTU and TSRW you can make slider accesoires but i choose TSRW because it already includes the Bgeo files.

In your case you must use TSRW because CTU does not support transparancy(alpha edits to the mesh with the textures)

But you better try to clone the WA necklace and do all the work with TSRW.
Then put it up for basegame testing
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 5:08 PM Last edited by emhpb : 21st Jul 2010 at 6:34 PM.
Thanks for checking and all of your help.

Edit: Rez is teaching me to do the thing with BMM and S3pe. thanks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 1:57 AM
Okay, I managed to do it by sheer luck, with the help of Rez and random guessing. Do you need to know how for one of your projects?
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 2:42 AM
i know how.
Made some glasses that has recolorble and editible lenses.
Works a bit easier for me as all can be done with TSRW
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 5:23 AM
Oh okay.