Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 9:02 PM Last edited by Bufu : 2nd Oct 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Updating
Default Simple Meshing Guide 3Ds Max.
Hi there,

I was working on getting stuff into The Sims 3, but for some reason i find it hard to work with MilkShape 3D. I decided to give things a go with 3Ds Max, and noticed that guides in this general direction for The Sims 3 Meshing are lacking.

Then i had this odd feeling that i could teach people things, and swapped over to making a few guides on making things in 3Ds Max. Not only kinda of showing how i made my first steps into this, but also attempting to teach others how to use 3Ds Max and creating that work flow into The Sims 3.

Simple Meshing Guide 3Ds Max

The Guide Contains :
  • Creating simple objects in 3D Studio Max.
  • Mapping simple objects in 3D Studio Max.
  • Importing from and Exporting to Milkshape 3D.

Short overview:

Explained in the most simple way not going to deep into everything to keep it a low learning curve. Its not meant as a picture to picture guide, there is a lot of reading in this guide. Its not as much based on visual learning as some other guides might be, in i hope that is not an issue. But i felt the making of this table was so easy and mainly straight forward in 3Ds Max, that explaining and showing an end result is often enough.

The scene files, import/exports and texture where included simply cause i thought it would be a nice tough. Since i dint go to deep into texture baking and UV mapping in this guide i dint want to leave people that are learning to model with 3Ds Max with only the small pictures in the word document. Do keep in mind that when you are loading a textured scene i saved into 3Ds Max you may get errors cause of missing texture maps.

Afterwords:

This is part one of hopefully a short guide chain, slowly going into several sides of meshing and modeling in 3Ds Max. The next one in the chain is going to be "Advanced modeling and Mapping." , and is going to make this object from this guide into a single solid non overlapping object, slowly molding it into high-poly version with higher detail mapping as well.

I hope you will like the guide and learn something from it, or be able to use the workflow i show for your own modeling. And i hope to see you all on the next episode, it will be a lot more fun when you all ready know how to model a little bit in 3Ds Max.

Kind regards
Bufu

Wiki Link:

*Update 24-09-2012:*
  • Added wiki link, removed the download and all other related information about the download.
  • Cleaned up the text a bit to match the wiki release.
  • Cleaned up loads of typos and misleading/dead end explanations.
  • Updated some screenshots to match wiki, most pictures are now less blurry.
  • Finished the guide.

The 3D Studio Max Meshing guides: Part 1: Simple Meshing in 3D Studio Max
Iff freedom was outlawed only outlaws would have freedom.
True piracy is an art, having a Amiga tune doesn't make you the old school pirate.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 9:43 PM
This guide has only 13 pages, the next guide is all ready at 9 pages and i only just finished part 1 section 1, and starting section 2 now :P
Just to give the readers an idea of what is coming next

True piracy is an art, having a Amiga tune doesn't make you the old school pirate.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 2:19 AM
Wow, I'm sure this will help many people! I don't use 3DS Max, but a lot of people will appreciate this. Nice job, man!

"He who sleeps on the floor will not fall off the bed." -Robert Gronock
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 11:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BeatlesGeorgeH
Wow, I'm sure this will help many people! I don't use 3DS Max, but a lot of people will appreciate this. Nice job, man!

Ty, i hope it does

*eats his nails while waiting for more feedback *

In the Arena
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 7:20 AM
It might be easier to review and edit if it is on SimsWiki?

Then you don't have to reupload docs all the time. If you need help with Wiki formatting PM me either here or on my Wiki Talk page, and I'll give tips.
Or, rather, what wiki code to copy & reuse. That's how I learn how to Wiki.
And I check pages on the Wiki on a daily basis anyway, so I'll be around.

I don't use 3D Studio Max, but I can review spelling and grammar, could in fact edit right on the wiki if it is not a doc upload. Just before opening the download, saw this
"Plz read true the guide"
should be
Plz read *through* the guide.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
It might be easier to review and edit if it is on SimsWiki?

Then you don't have to reupload docs all the time. If you need help with Wiki formatting PM me either here or on my Wiki Talk page, and I'll give tips.
Or, rather, what wiki code to copy & reuse. That's how I learn how to Wiki.
And I check pages on the Wiki on a daily basis anyway, so I'll be around.

Good one, ill look into that after my last 2 night shifts this week. (or weekend for that matter )

Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
I don't use 3D Studio Max, but I can review spelling and grammar, could in fact edit right on the wiki if it is not a doc upload. Just before opening the download, saw this
"Plz read true the guide"
should be
Plz read *through* the guide.

That's just the kind of checks its needs, as English isn't my native

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Sep 2012 at 5:09 PM
Updated the first Post, as the wiki page has been made.

Included a link in the post and cleaned up the download and the comments around the download.

Instructor
#8 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 12:18 AM
Very good tutorial Bufu, I use 3Ds Max sometimes and it is a bit hard too learn but worth the effort, it's a fantastic program.

Do you know if 3Ds Max 2010 has the option to bake textures, as I'm not sure that it does.

Thank for this tut, I appreciate your hard work.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
Very good tutorial Bufu, I use 3Ds Max sometimes and it is a bit hard too learn but worth the effort, it's a fantastic program.

Do you know if 3Ds Max 2010 has the option to bake textures, as I'm not sure that it does.

Thank for this tut, I appreciate your hard work.

Ty very much, appreciate it.

Euhm yeah its slightly easier then 2013, as 2013 needs Mental ray render setup to bake some mappings. But aside from that the menu and hot-key for it should be the same.

Instructor
#10 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 1:27 AM
Thanks for the info Bufu.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 4:10 PM
Moved to tutorials.

Wiki tutorial edited for formatting and (some) grammar errors. When writing the following tutorials in the wiki, please try to format the same way so tutorials are consistent in how they read and look.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 4:45 PM Last edited by Bufu : 25th Sep 2012 at 4:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
Thanks for the info Bufu.

No problem, if you cant figure it out don't hesitate to ask, i should have a 2010 version still somewhere .... i think.

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Moved to tutorials.

Wiki tutorial edited for formatting and (some) grammar errors. When writing the following tutorials in the wiki, please try to format the same way so tutorials are consistent in how they read and look.

Oks sorry about that, hope it wasn't to messy

Ill keep this example to copy to me next part so they are in a similar format as the others.

And thanks for the move, i will edit the title as well, and remove the review clutter in the next 2/3 days to come.