Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 12:56 AM Last edited by emhpb : 12th Jul 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Default Alpha Accessory possible? YES, yes they are!
I'm trying to convert an alpha accessory, but it's not working. I KNOW it can be done, as the WA Egyptian necklace is one. However, I don't know if the right options are available in TSRW/s3pe/CTU/whatever. Any help would be appreciated!

Here's the specific problem I'm having:

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...93224wings3.PNG

Of course, the texture that appears on the mesh depends on what accessories the sim has worn since CAS was opened. Sometimes the map is subdivided so 2 textures or more appear at once.

If anyone wants to take a look at the file, I can post it. ;p
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 2:10 AM
I you found a accesoire that supports then it can be done
You clone a accesoire with TSRW and make sure transparancy is enabled.
You prolly also have to edit the transparancy map.
When done making them you need to convert it to package and extract the GEOM files with Postal or s3PE.

Open the original Egyptian accesoire package with Postal or S3PE and extract its GEOM, open these with Milkshape.
You need to do this with the GEOM importer(not the one from TSRW)
In there you will find the material settings.(in the mesh comments)
You need to copy the last TGI reference and all that is below and past that in your own mesh comments
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 2:13 AM
Oh!

Thank you so much! SO that's where you get the transparency settings!

So how do I get the mesh with the new comments back into the package? S3PE again?
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 3:43 AM Last edited by emhpb : 11th Jul 2010 at 4:00 AM.
I've run into a problem here. When I replace the geoms with S3PE or postal, the materials for the mesh get deleted. (the bumpmap, alpha map, diffuse map and specular map) Can I just replace them with TSRW?

Edit: I tried it, it didn't work.

Lemme specify the problem I'm having a bit more. ;x If I open up cas, and there's a sim with no accessories equipped right off the bat, then I can equip the wings, and they show up the way I want them too. If the sim has an accessory, or if I equip an accessory, then it show up on the texture of the wings, like the pic I posted.
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 4:29 AM
Always use save when editing a package, never use save as(only the first time you create a packaqe.)
Thats the only reason i can think of that your missing your textures....

If other accesoires conflict you might have a conflict.(most of the time a missing file or TGI reference.
check the textures and the TGI references in the mesh.
When i said to copy the last TGI reference and the material settings for the transparancy and past it in your own mesh comments i ment you have to add them after the 2nd TGI reference.
The last TGI is the skeleton, from there you past the new skeleton(last TGI) and the mat. settings.
You need to keep the format settings and the first set of TGI references(those are texture links)
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 4:42 AM Last edited by emhpb : 11th Jul 2010 at 5:00 AM.
Ah, okay I thought I did do that. I get this error though when I import the necklace mesh:

Could that have something to do with it?

Wait, I know what happened with the textures I think. I copied all of the comments, and CTU couldn't find the WA textures.

Edit: Oh, and the custom mesh didn't originally have comments, being a conversion. So I've been using comments from other meshes of mine. Then I deleted TGI ref 03 and below, and pasted in the ones from the necklace. ;/ So far, doesn't work.
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 5:21 AM
I had the same error on the skirt, not that important.
Always use the comments from the mesh you clone!(and then replace the last TGI ref and below)
If there are no comments at all you will lose important settings when exporting/importing.

Oh, you cant do this with CTU, it doesn't support the transparancytexture (and settings)
Meaning you have to start over with TSRW(meshes cant be used either, unless you reassigne the bones wich is not much work in your case(make sure you import a WSO mesh first!!)
I wrote down in post 2 how to start
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 5:28 AM
I know, I was just checking in CTU. I'm doing the project in TSRW.

I didn't clone a mesh though... I just imported an .obj file exported from simpe, assigned the joints, and did the tag values, plus edited the mesh slightly and remapped it. Then I exported to .wso. and loaded in TSRW. See, TSRW doesn't use the comments from milkshape, it does it's own.

So since the mesh I cloned was kinda the WA necklace, should I use all of the comments from there?
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 6:29 AM
You need to export your clone accesoire mesh first(high/med and low detail)
You start with your high TSRW mesh, import it in Milkshape(you must do this first as TSRW meshes have their own skeleton included, with a diffrent bone order)
Then you import your obj file, assigne bones to it(delete the TSRW mesh) and export.
Reimport it back into TSRW
Do the same with with the medium and low detail.

Fix your texture in TSRW and update the transparancy map(also enable transparancy)
Maybe the latest version does already support the correct Material settings, haven't checked yet.

Test it ingame, if their is no transparancy then convert the sims3pack to package and open it woth postal or S3PE Extract the mesh and import it with the GEOM importer, then add the correct TGI and embeddedstuff etc.
Reimport back and check ingame.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 6:38 AM
Okay, I'll try following that to the letter. Thanks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 6:56 AM
Didn't work without editing the TGIs, am now testing after having edited them.

Btw, does it matter if I use the same file for all 3 lods, for testing purposes?

Edit: Doesn't work. ;/ The accessories still show up on the mesh when equipped.

Oh, and I didn't read correctly, I exported the package file straight from TSRW instead of exporting to sims3pack and then converting to package. Does it matter?

It's supposed to look like this, btw, even with accessories equipped:

(at the moment it looks like that without accessories)
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 3:14 PM
IT doesn't matter if you use the mesh(and settings) for all lods, you must update them when satisfied tho!
Can i see your WRK file?
You can extract as package straight from TSRW but you lose all the compression, giving you a huge file.(dont know if they fixed that with the latest version of TSRW)
Your using TSRW version2.0?(latest)
I haven't tried to make a transparant asscesoire yet, dont have WA ep so i cant try either..
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:28 PM Last edited by emhpb : 12th Jul 2010 at 10:44 PM.
I got it to work! During the downtime, I had too much time on my hands haha. There are several issues though:

When I zoom out, to lod2 or 3, the transparency goes bye-bye. Big black square again. :C I'm pretty sure it doesn't do this for the necklace...

It doesn't work for WA of course... Idk if it's possible to fix this, Rez said it might be.

Annnndd the textures are bad when more than one accessory is equipped. I think this is unfix-able, yes?

I can send you my wrk file, but you won't be able to see the non-custom textures, the part mask, ambient, mask, etc.

Edit: oh and I forgot, it does this too:

(the white lines are part of the wings, the black is not, it's a different pair of wings)
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 10:57 PM
The texture issues are a mistake you make, check the links and correct textures.
Could be a earlier installed package also(use only one text version.)
Delete your caches every time you made a edit to the mesh or textures etc etc
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure I only have one version of each package...

How do I check that I've got the right links? S3PE? I'll try deleting my caches though.

Edit: Oh, I do have 4 wings on one mesh, will that cause problems or should I separate them?
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 11:55 PM
Test only one at the time, move the ohers away from the packages or downloadfolder.

to check your linked textures, just view them in TSRW by reopening the package file.
Also check the The mesh comments.
A geom accesoire comment has 3 TGI's if im correct, does the Egyptian also has 3?(or 4)
I had to copy the 2nd TGI and added it to make comments to my skirt work.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 12:18 AM Last edited by emhpb : 13th Jul 2010 at 12:32 AM.
It has 4. The first is TGI 0, the last is TGI 3. I copied and replaced TGI 3 and below.

Okay, I've redone my WRK file and package so it only has one wings in it, and removed all old versions. ;p Am testing now.

Nope, still the same texture issues. :C
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 2:32 PM
Had a look at the files, but transparancy is not supported on the necklace, only alpha edits.
If you want to avoid the other errors you should make them as clothing.
Doesn't give you much variation tho.....
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 9:04 PM
Isn't transparency the same as alpha edits? Lol sorry, I'm not very good at this terminology.

Anyways, I looked at the necklace mesh several times, and the back of it is a different shape from what you see in game. Although I did only look at lod1 that closely...
Sockpuppet
#20 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 11:04 PM
Wat we both did was editing the texture file so that parts of the mesh becomes invisible.(You make the area's black on the alpha part of the texture file.)
There is however another material setting that lets you make those parts transparant(like the glasses)
Instead of making the alpha part black(or white) you make it grey wich makes it transparant.(similar as see throug clothing is made)
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 3:26 AM
Oh! You mean translucent! I didn't know one could do that with accessories... I'll have to experiment some <3

Wait, but transparency didn't come until the WA patch, so glasses can't have been done the same way, can they? I have no idea.. D: