Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 10:43 AM
What the heck happened to The Sims 2: Castaway Stories?
Really. What happened to The Sims 2: Castaway Stories? It was supposed to be the only game in the Sims Stories line I was supposed to get, and I surely hope it isn't gonna be canceled, but why is all the hype going to The Sims 2 Castaway? The only thing I've heard was "Winter 2008" (BTW, does that mean January-ish or December next year? Thanks!).

Has anyone heard of its whereabouts? Was it canceled? Is it still in development? Anything?

Thank you very much.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 10:51 AM
I've been wondering the same things.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Nov 2007 at 1:34 AM
Ditto, here.

I'm pretty sure it's still coming, we just haven't heard anything about it.

Click HERE please, so I can up the sweet sweet page count. Thanks!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Field Researcher
#4 Old 4th Nov 2007 at 10:32 AM
Well... just today I saw a commercial of it from TV. It doesn't interest me at all but just wanted to mention :D
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Nov 2007 at 2:17 AM
That commercial is the game for the wii, ps2, and 360 (I think), we are talking about the game for the PC. If I had a wii, I'd just get it for that, but alas, I don't.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Field Researcher
#6 Old 6th Nov 2007 at 4:48 PM
Oh... well, no wonder that the graphics looked like crap . I obviously didn't pay enough attention.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Dec 2007 at 8:24 PM
I wanted to get my sister the one for the PC for Christmas and I found it online somewhere but only to preorder it. That site said Feb 2008 . I ended up getting her the pets one instead because February is too far away lol.
#8 Old 2nd Jan 2008 at 1:49 AM
I have the PS2 version, but I'm hoping to get the PC one just for the better graphics.
#9 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 4:52 AM
I wish they didn't use "Winter 2008" and instead said Quarter <number> 2008, because if its winter for us, then that's July, etc :p
Field Researcher
#10 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 5:15 AM
The preorder ship date where I preordered it is January 29th, the day after my birthday =] I've never actually played lifestories, because I went out and bought it after my mom told me she preordered me the castaway one, but my dvd drive is broke..so I've had it like a week (I know not that long lol) but I have to get a new drive before I can play it. Hopefully she'll get it for me tomorrow..she said she was.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 1:43 AM
It;s supposed to come out in early February this year. So 2/2008

Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.
Alexander Hamilton
Theorist
#12 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 4:24 PM
Some screenshots :

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 9:27 PM
This is the information I'm getting no matter where I look it up:

The Sims: Castaway Stories

Publisher: EA Games
Platform: PC
Release Date: Jan 29, 2008
Release Region: North America
Distribution: Retail
#14 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 4:44 PM
I really haven't heard much about it, but according to EB Games it ships January 29th.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=647243

I think I'll go ahead and get it so I'll have something to do for a month while I wait for Free Time to come out.
Alchemist
#15 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 8:34 PM
I've already preordered it myself from a local computer shop, also scheduled around January 31st. Being the LOST junkie that I am, it's the only Sims Stories game I'm interested in. Here's hoping it'll be fun.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
shiny!
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Jan 2008 at 4:02 AM
Are these story things really worth it if you have normal TS2?
#17 Old 14th Jan 2008 at 4:36 AM
Life Stories and Pet Stories aren't very different from TS2 and Pets. But Castaway Stories is different. It's not just TS2 repackaged. In Castaway Stories, you play a sim that was stranded on an island and you have to build a whole new life for them. You build a shelter, find food and I believe there are locals you can befriend. You can even have monkeys help you out. It sounds kind of fun.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 10:26 PM
"The Sims Castaway Stories Chat Event
Join us for our producer chat event Tuesday January 22nd at 4:00PM PST with The Sims Castaway Stories game team!"

Yay! I'll try to be there, anyone else?

#19 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 1:43 AM
I want to be there, but I've never been able to get into a chat and I've tried at every chat for every EP. Whenever I try, it tells me that the chat room is full. But I'll try. I actually have a lot of questions about Castaway Stories since there isn't much info on it and I'm thinking about buying it to hold me over until FreeTime comes out.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 12:35 AM
Alright, here's the information from the chat:

Game will ship on the 29th, should be available in stores on the 31st.

Don't have to complete story mode to enter free play mode. However, you do need to explore the island via story mode to unlock some cool and useful objects.

You can construct a raft to get off the island, or you can stay.

Can't bring anything to the island with you, but you can choose the sims outfit.

Unique island foods: coconut pie, coconut fijita's, coconut surprise, coconut flambay, coconut cream sandwhiches with a tasty spread, and a lot of fish recipes.

Swimming in the ocean is fun, good exercise, and will also take care of bladder and hygiene motives.

Swims won't be able to die that easy, due to being tougher and more resiliant.

Create a sim will be similar to the usual sims 2 create a sim, but the clothing options are going to be different because these sims are getting ready for a vacation.

Sims can get sunburned, and they prefer a nice shelter to sleeping outside.

You will be able to add custom content.

Story ends, can carry on in free play mode.

There are jobs like hunter, or gather. You can also train an oranguatan to perform these and other jobs.

You can meet locals, and interact with them.

You're not stranded on the island due to shipwreck...budget travel has its pitfalls. (There is one long and elabroate story in the story mode of Castaway stories.)

Natives are really nice..mostly.

Lots of secrets to be found on the island.

What sets castaway stories apart from castaway for the console?
Mike: The stories version is different than console version. Castaway stories vs. console has directed goal based game play. And like the PC it has an open world, pc quality graphics, and pc open ended game play. Plus monkeys :-) Well, on PC castaway stories will allow for downloads that we will be posting over time.

I heard there was a cheetah, or another similar cat-like animal. Is this true?
Mike: there are hyenas, orangutan, and spear fishing. And there's a cheetah!

Is Castaway compatible with Vista?
Mike: Yes.

What are some objects that you like the most in the game?
Mike: There is a limbo pole, the tiki idol, Spaulding is cool and you get to craft things that are unigue to Castaway Stories.

Will you be able to have children with other castaways?
Deanna: You will be able to have kids.

Story mode with character you create, you can also play in a free play mode with you won character or a premade story character.

Is there more than one island to explore?
Mike: There are 24 unique lost on the island to explore.
Deanna: Yes there is a free play mode in addition to the directed story mode.

Will the monkeys hlep like the do on the console?
Mike: The game play is different but you will get similar help from the orangutan in Castaway stories.

Can the monkeys and leopards be made playable?
Karen: The orangutans and heyens are playable in story mode.

Is it going to be one boy and one girl in story mode?
Mike: There is a choice between a gril or boy sim. You can also choose to create your own sim to play through the story with.

Will there be weather in this game?
Deanna: Yes there will be weather in the game.

What are some of the disasters our sims can encounter?
Mike: There is weather in the game. There are wild animals. And, you will need to work on your orangutan social skills to get what you need.

Play this on a laptop?
Mike: Yes. Like all the stories titles this is made to run well on laptops. It even includes lots of short cut keys.

Roughly, how many hours of gameplay do you reckon there is in story mode?
Mike: New user, I would estimate 8-10 hours of game play.

how do we gain skills?
Mike: Skills are gained by doing. For example, you getbetter at spear fishing by doing it.

How do build and buy mod work?
Mike: Build and buy mode are simple in the castaway stories design. You will need to collect resources through out the game. These resources are traded for items. Other ways to bild things are to find specific pieces and then assemble them. Hopefully your sim will be able to build a raft in this manner.

Is there any objects similar to the bookcase in the sims 2.
Karen: Yes, ther a r objects similar to the bookcase, your sims will still need to study and read. They can also write in a journal.

How will our Sim's fun need go up?
Mike: Sims are very cocial creatures and that hasn't changed fo Castaway Stories. Fortunately, ther eare other sims on the island, and fun things to do. Playing with the orangutan is fun.

Alchemist
#21 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 10:50 AM
That sounds so cool Hopefully my default replacements will still work, they probably will by the looks of it. I am not extremely encouraged by the 8-10 hours of story gameplay for a NEW user (is New refering to someone who's never played Castaway or the Sims in general?) but live and see I guess. It sounds lovely either way, I shall have fun in free mode as well...hehe

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
#22 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 2:15 PM
It sounds good and hopefully it will keep me busy until Free Time comes out. I just hope most of my custom content works for it.