Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 5:10 AM Last edited by Kylaaab : 18th Mar 2019 at 7:01 AM.
Default TS3-- What can I do to perfect this lot? (UPLOADED)
I'm making a lot I've called the Sunken Contemporary. It's on a 20x20 lot, and I made it descend into the ground. Now, should I made any changes before uploading it? Is there any way I can make it better?

Here are the pics:

Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 12:50 PM
I like how it looks, doesn't seem to need any changes. What does the floorplan look like?

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 3:14 PM
It looks very nice. I like your little bit of colors among all the bland white and beige. I would look a bit into contrasts, if you have done that, I would use more contrasting colors just to spice it up a bit. The livingroom needs some more warm colors in my opinion. The white tiles makes it look very cold.

Another thing is the sunken garden. I would give it a definate shape, like dig it out in a square and put a foundation around it, color it white or something and decorate the inside with plants. Just a suggestion.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 7:10 PM
Yea, some warm accents might help offset the cold. I'll go do that. Were you referring to the area near the entrance, or the rooftop, as the sunken garden? If you meant the area near the entrance, it's impossible at this point to add any foundations, since the home's foundation is at a height where it's below the higher terrain, which I used ITF carpets to give the illusion that it's connected to the land further up-- though I could add more flowers to accentuate where the leveled terrain meets the sloping terrain. The rooftop garden is already mostly defined as can be seen in the floorplans below.

Here's the floorplan:

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 7:55 PM Last edited by Kylaaab : 15th Mar 2019 at 8:42 PM.
Today I discovered I apparently don't know how to use contrasting colors aha..

I made the ottoman into an accent and used a few patterns-- I didn't like any of them. Then I made the room into a warmer version, but there's no contrast at all so I guess I failed lol

I'm adding some contrast to other roos but I'll keep that a surprise for when I upload ;}
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#6 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 9:36 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 15th Mar 2019 at 9:48 PM.
Colors is usually more complicated than just selecting a color you like. If you go on your instincts though, you have good instincts. Pick the dark green walls you have and find the hex numbers in cast. It's a 6 numbers or letters code on the second or third fan I think.

Then you can use any number of color palette makers to select a set of colors for the pattern you choose on your table. If you have Photoshop you can probably use Kuler by Adobe to insert your hex number as the base color and choose what kind of contrast you want to use.
In this free one you put your hex down on the left and select your contrast as monochromatic, complementary, adjecent, triad or tetrad. You can google for another palette maker if your don't like this one.

When you have found the colors you like, you click down on the right side select the export fan and pick any number of hexes there for the cast tool. You can also click on each color suggested and find the numbers there, or click on presets for your chosen color and find palettes suggested. Insert them into your color channels for any number of patterns you like. It's easy to see a pattern as fixed and change the hole thing at once, but you can pick a channel and insert one color for each.

I guess you have learned about the color wheel in school:

Complementary contrast goes across on the color wheel and is the first one you can choose by clicking add complementary on the Paletton tool.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#7 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 9:55 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 15th Mar 2019 at 10:14 PM.
When I'm talking abour contrast, I'm not talking about strong colors, just a complementary or something similar. It can be a soft dark or light color. You don't have to go splash out on strong red.

In your garden I would still give the garden edge a shape, not just something round'ish You could perhaps make your foundation about a tile from the house and decorate with some greenery or flowers to cover the gap. You can also put the foundation a bit more from the house and make a feature out of it. I guess you know you can put the foundation lower by holding down alt while putting it down? Have you tried the cfe cheat?

... and yes the ITF rugs you can just put plants at the edge or continue all the way around, that's up to you.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 10:20 PM
Making a room look stunning takes a lot of practice. In my opinion you could work on giving the room some character, it can come across as a bit cold in flavour. It could just be your thing, but perhaps something to work on
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
When I'm talking abour contrast, I'm not talking about strong colors, just a complementary or something similar. It can be a soft dark or light color. You don't have to go splash out on strong red.

In your garden I would still give the garden edge a shape, not just something round'ish You could perhaps make your foundation about a tile from the house and decorate with some greenery or flowers to cover the gap. You can also put the foundation a bit more from the house and make a feature out of it. I guess you know you can put the foundation lower by holding down alt while putting it down? Have you tried the cfe cheat?

... and yes the ITF rugs you can just put plants at the edge or continue all the way around, that's up to you.

Bright colors hurt my eyes haha I won't be trying any of those. Unless it's orange or red, sometimes I like bright orange or red, but not in this build..

I'll try making the foundation a tile from the house, I hadn't thought of that. I've been using CFE for most of the house to begin with, otherwise I don't think it'd be possible to make it sunken like it is.

Making a room look stunning takes a lot of practice. In my opinion you could work on giving the room some character, it can come across as a bit cold in flavour. It could just be your thing, but perhaps something to work on

Yea, I try to do what I can without CC.. I think I sorta(?) gave it some character with the photos I had a sim take in game then retake to make it into a matted photo. I rarely use CC so it's hard to make it seem like a real home. (No stuff packs here either!) I did some contrast in other rooms, and it's all complimentary or near-complimentary, so I think I'm set with that. After trying out a few more things I've decided to just make the living room the warmer colors without adding any accents. Thanks for the suggestions too, I think it looks better now than it did.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 10:53 PM
I'm far from an expert in the field, but I love colors and likes to give houses a character. They belong to someone, and what kind of people are they?

On the surface this is a hard functionalisme/modernisme concrete building, and below a modern nocc modern apartment, the last one is also very modern and could suffer from being cold. I could show you some crazy styling fusions, but these are perhaps more to your taste. I use a lot of color on the lights in the room as well.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#11 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kylaaab
Yea, I try to do what I can without CC.. I think I sorta(?) gave it some character with the photos I had a sim take in game then retake to make it into a matted photo. I rarely use CC so it's hard to make it seem like a real home. (No stuff packs here either!) I did some contrast in other rooms, and it's all complimentary or near-complimentary, so I think I'm set with that. After trying out a few more things I've decided to just make the living room the warmer colors without adding any accents. Thanks for the suggestions too, I think it looks better now than it did.

As you can see from the pictures above, you can achieve a lot from just nocc houses in ts3. The cast tool is just brilliant. I'm missing it a lot in ts4, that's for sure.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 11:19 PM
Searching for pictures on ts4, I found this one. I should try'n upload this house. Anyway's this wasn't suppose to be a sales pitch, but it's beginning to look like one

Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 11:35 PM
I really like the modern yet grunge look from the first two on the walls. It's stone walls but not cold which is really neat, but the pattern looks custom eheh. I'm not too big a fan of the orangeish and greenish stripes, but that's just my personal opinion. I could probably add in more patterns, but idk I'm not too big a fan of patterns unless it's one single pattern in the room among solid colors, but again, that's just me.

I added the foundation so it's walled in though. :}

Doing so gave me enough room for a hottub.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 11:38 PM
Searching for pictures on ts4, I found this one. I should try'n upload this house. Anyway's this wasn't suppose to be a sales pitch, but it's beginning to look like one

Neat :} Things in the Sims 4 always look cleaner and more smooth to me in terms of graphics, one of the upsides. No create-a-style is the big drawback that keeps me stationed at the sims 3, and the open world. Those two things are super important to me. Hahaha I'm getting off topic oops.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#15 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 7:02 AM
This house looks nice. The only optional suggestion I might make is to add a bench or some type of seating to your above house park area for your sims.
dodgy builder
#16 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kylaaab
I really like the modern yet grunge look from the first two on the walls. It's stone walls but not cold which is really neat, but the pattern looks custom eheh. I'm not too big a fan of the orangeish and greenish stripes, but that's just my personal opinion. I could probably add in more patterns, but idk I'm not too big a fan of patterns unless it's one single pattern in the room among solid colors, but again, that's just me.

Searching through patterns in cast you have to start looking at them as without colors, because it's almost magic what you can do to them.

The first 2 pictures is far more color coordinated then you might think. Even the dark walls is made with a contrasting color as base. It gives a dull concrete building a vibrance you didn't think was possible. The first room also has this strong color contrast between orange and plum which is lovely.

When I make houses I don't make them for me, so what I like isn't relevant. The 2 last houses are too cold for me, but the color contrasts still make them bright and lovely. I would also choose the first and the ts4 house if I wanted something for me.

The backyard looks nice. Working on color contrasts and styles takes time, and it will never be finished.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 17th Mar 2019 at 11:25 PM
And it is now available for download: http://www.modthesims.info/d/625024...o-cc-no-sp.html
Thanks all and congratulations Kylaaab!!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Mar 2019 at 11:45 PM
Thanks guys I added a thank you into the download as well.
Theorist
#19 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 4:47 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 18th Mar 2019 at 6:55 AM.
I wish I would've come across this thread before you uploaded it, because in my opinion this house really belongs on a downward sloping hillside. That is, a hillside that slopes downward from street level. This way, you could have a sunken front yard, with the back yard overlooking a valley. Not sure that is even possible in TS3, since I'm only a TS2 builder, but that would be the ideal location for a house like this, in my opinion.
Anyway, nice house and I left a comment in your upload comment section.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I wish I would've come across this thread before you uploaded it, because in my opinion this house really belongs on a downward sloping hillside. That is, a hillside that slopes downward from street level. This way, you could have a sunken front yard, with the back yard overlooking a valley. Not sure that is even possible in TS3, since I'm only a TS2 builder, but that would be the ideal location for a house like this, in my opinion.

That would've been neat too, but I kinda wanted the entrance to be hidden by trees and from the start I had planned out having steps lead down to the front 'yard' and door. It's not much of a neighborhood house and more of a reclusive house for a sim that really values their privacy. It would've been possible if I started off with a sloped terrain idea for the house, but after building the main structure, the fundamental level couldn't be changed-- at least to my knowledge. Thanks for the suggestion though, that would've looked really cool too, and I've seen pictures of houses like that; they're real stylish.
dodgy builder
#21 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 1:53 PM
It looks to me like the lot is very small, and that's where the issue is. You could have moved the house of course, but first you need a lot like that on a slope. It's a good solution for a reclusive sim.