Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 3:45 AM
Default Converting Adult Clothing Into Teen?
Could somebody please redirect me to a tutorial for it?

"It's written amazingly well... but if you don't take out the part that says, "I don't care if you kill L", I'll die." -L Lawliet
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 5:00 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Sep 2011 at 6:53 PM.
Here's a discussion of converting store clothing from adult to teen - same process except for extracting the files: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=452193

Very briefly, using CTU and Milkshape the process would be:

Extract the meshes with CTU Also extract some teen meshes for reference - the head/face mesh, a top, a bottom, and shoes

In Milkshape, fix the neck, waist, and ankles (whichever apply to the mesh you're converting) so they match to the teen meshes

Import the converted meshes into CTU, enable the clothing for teens and disable for adults, and save as a new package

You may have to also fix the morphs - according to Bloom the fat morph always needs fixing. You'd have to import the adult fat morph over the converted mesh, fix it, export it, and use MorphMaker to make a new replacement morph

Edit: Forgot to mention you have to fix the mesh comments in Milkshape to (at a minimum) use a teen skeleton. IMO you can copy the comments from a similar teen clothing but Bloom would know more.
Instructor
#3 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 7:04 PM
A lot really depends on what you are trying to do. In many cases it is simply a matter of copying the adult texture files onto a teen mesh. This assumes that you have a teen mesh which is close enough to what you are trying to accomplish.

Alterneatively, instead of trying to convert an adult outfit into a teen, you could modify a teen outfit to look like the adult. Again, it all depends on what you are trying to do.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC

Also extract some teen meshes for reference - the head/face mesh, a top, a bottom, and shoes

In Milkshape, fix the neck, waist, and ankles (whichever apply to the mesh you're converting) so they match to the teen meshes

Import the converted meshes into CTU, enable the clothing for teens and disable for adults, and save as a new package

It's not enough to fix only neck/waist/ankles, you will need to reshape full body, because teen bodies are thinner (all morphs are, especially fat and fit). Also you will have to fix the fingers, because teen hands are somehow different and the finger bones won't match the adult mesh. You will need to reduce breast size for females and adjust bones on them (if you won't do this, your teen sims will have huge breasts compared to other EA teen outfits). The easier way will be to combine 2 meshes, for example if you want to convert a dress: leave the hands/legs/neck from teen outfit and the dress from adult (and reshape it to fit smaller teen bodies).

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 9:20 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 12th Sep 2011 at 9:30 PM.
The base meshes from the teen and adult are almost identical, exept for the breast size.
The morphs(when using the sliders) are indeed a bit diffrent, those you need to update(unless its for private use and you dont care )
You do need to update the neck/waist and ankles on both base mesh and morphs!

Never heard of a mismatch on the hands/fingers.
Both Adult and Teen meshes animate identical ingame, in TSRW and in Milkshape, no idea wat Elexis means.

You could use this tutorial were i converted a adult male outfit to child size:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=392850

If you are a beginner you might be better of using TSRW instead of CTU
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Sep 2011 at 11:13 PM
Bloom, here is what I mean. This happens every time when I set up an adult mesh as teen.
It looks the same in Workshop and in game.
Screenshots

My Simblr - ElexisSims
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 2:29 AM
I tried it just now by cloning an adult mesh and setting it for teens using CTU and s3pe, no modification of the mesh. The breast size needs to be reduced and the fat and fit morphs need to be slimmed down and have the neck and ankles matched, but other than that there's only some pretty minor differences in the shape of the legs. I didn't see any distortion of the fingers, Elexis. Possibly that's a Workshop bug?
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
I tried it just now by cloning an adult mesh and setting it for teens using CTU and s3pe, no modification of the mesh. The breast size needs to be reduced and the fat and fit morphs need to be slimmed down and have the neck and ankles matched, but other than that there's only some pretty minor differences in the shape of the legs. I didn't see any distortion of the fingers, Elexis. Possibly that's a Workshop bug?

Very possible, I'm so tired of Workshop bugs that now I want to learn how to make clothing with CTU. I think your tutorial will be very helpful to me

My Simblr - ElexisSims
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elexis
Bloom, here is what I mean. This happens every time when I set up an adult mesh as teen.
It looks the same in Workshop and in game.

I dont know wat version you using but with TSRW(2.015) its even more simple.

1/
You can clone a adult outfit and tick the teen category, then untick the young adult and adult category, thats it......

2/
You can also start with cloning a teen outfit and load the adult meshes in it.

The only diffrence between the 2 is that the hand position is a bit diffrent on the fatstate.
I included the 2 tests i did.

The first(teentest) is the teen Tight_halter outfit but with the adult meshes in it.
The second is the adult SuperSpyOutfit set (ticked) as teen and unticked as adult.

Oh,
If you are going to convert adult to teen you also need to fix the normals on atleast the neck seam!!
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  teenconversions.7z (786.2 KB, 393 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th Sep 2011 at 7:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
I dont know wat version you using but with TSRW(2.015) its even more simple.

1/
You can clone a adult outfit and tick the teen category, then untick the young adult and adult category, thats it......

2/
You can also start with cloning a teen outfit and load the adult meshes in it.

The only diffrence between the 2 is that the hand position is a bit diffrent on the fatstate.
I included the 2 tests i did.

The first(teentest) is the teen Tight_halter outfit but with the adult meshes in it.
The second is the adult SuperSpyOutfit set (ticked) as teen and unticked as adult.

Oh,
If you are going to convert adult to teen you also need to fix the normals on atleast the neck seam!!

Great threads

I was planning to do something like this and I have a couple of questions:

1) Does this work with child and infant as well?
I really want to make/find a child cargo pant for my Ben10 sim and infant formal suits for my Reborn sim

2) Do I use teen clothing or adult clothing works too? What do I need to adjust?

PS I will be using Workshop since I haven't use CTU for a very long time.

Thanks in advance
Test Subject
#11 Old 18th Sep 2011 at 11:04 PM
off topic but i converted child to teen i liked the queen for a day cape and wanted it for my teen, took a lot of meshing to get the sizes right
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 8:32 PM
Default Help
How to convert to child for teen?
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 1:35 AM
It basicly works the same for every conversion:
You extract/export the meshes you want to convert first.
Then clone a outfit of the age you want and extract/export those meshes also and import these in Milkshape
Then import the meshes you want to convert.

Scale each mesh to the correct size and fix the neck/waist and ankles.
Use the correct age meshes as reference.
Delete the reference meshes and export your converted meshes.
Import them in the cloned outfit
Test Subject
#14 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 8:11 PM
Ok, and a last question, why TSRW only opens the clothes that comes with the base game, not of the expensions! someone now how to open expensions clothes for edit in TSRW?
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 8:36 PM
you can clone EP items, just select the EP installation maps in TSRW preferences.