Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 9:01 PM Last edited by evildragonqueen : 24th Oct 2011 at 1:15 PM.
Default How to texture a hat I meshed myself- UV map issues
I've made a backwards cap with hair, my first ever attempt at meshing, a work in progress but...

How do I make the hat section actually a recolourable Hat?

Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 9:44 PM
It needs to be a separate group within the mesh; that way, you can clone a hat hair, and import the hair as the hair part, and the hat as the separate hat part.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 9:50 PM Last edited by evildragonqueen : 24th Oct 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Cool..just in the process of trying to do that now actually, but not really sure how I'd do that. I can't seem to be able to texture the hair properly. Advice?

I'm now at this stage. The reverse of where I was earlier
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 9:00 AM
Why not clone the existing baseball cap and base your creation on that one?

edit,
nevermind, you just did that
One half of the texture map is used for the hair, the other half for the cap.
This means you must move the uvcoordinates of the hair to the correct side of the map.

You can do this in Milkshape by assigning a material to the cap and hair and visit the UVmap
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 1:12 PM
Tried following this - http://linna.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=135136

But I ended up with the same results. Do I need to add a material to both the hat and the hair parts? Also in the tutorial it says upload a bmp, not sure what that is. In milkshape it looks like this (I know the shape isn;t quite right yet, I want to figure this out before I try edit some more) but the results are the same as my previous post when I go into TSR workshop. Can't pinpoint what I'm doing wrong
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 4:18 PM
Download a bmp testpattern: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=135136
Mat tab
New
None
Browse to your testpattern and select
assigne

Then you will be able to view the uvcoordinates on the map by choosing:
Window menu
and select ‘Texture Coordinate Editor’

Wat you also can do is assigne one of the DDs files as material, even the ones with alpha;s is supporte.
You will see wich coordinates of the hair will need to be moved.
Moved them horizontal(not vertical)
You might have to adjust your textures

If you follow that tutorial you also will understand wat to do
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 8:05 PM
Alright, so still following the tutorial and got stuck again. Slowly making my way through this thanks to your advice I've done this:

Here is the UV map for the hair

and here is the result:

My question is now how do I make the hair not be all square like that? Also how not sure how to make sure the fringe section is hair textured.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 10:28 PM
Do the same but now use a texture exported from TSRW, the one were both hair textures and hat textures show.
The mistake you made is that you moved the right part outside the uvmap, you must only select the parts on the left.
You might have to scale those coordinates AND the textures aswell....

But fiddling with it makes you understand how it works

Wat you see on the uvmap are the meshparts folded out so they can be textured properly, you can move and scale them a little but it will be hard to make them all fit one map.
Made that baseball cap as accesoire a year ago, then you dont have to worry about those maps.
Another problem is then that other hairs poke through the hat.

You will need to extract the original textures of the hair, the diffuse and all others.
I would scale those to 50%width and place them next to the hat textures on top of the hairtexture that belongs to the original hairwithbaseballcap.
The hairtexture uvcoordinates i would also scale 50% in width so that they will fit the new texture, can you follow that?
Wat is the name of the hairmesh you using?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 11:07 PM Last edited by evildragonqueen : 24th Oct 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Right, I'll have another fiddle around and see what I come up with.
The hair I'm using is amHairShortMessy

Also, I'm only making the thing because I couldn't find one anywhere, if the backwards cap is available I'd just happily download that :P
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 12:16 AM
But you want to stick to the hairshortmessy?
The easiest way would use that baseballcap with hair and replace the hat with the hat from the baseball cap back
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 12:38 AM
I did think of that but I liked the look of the shorthairmessy, as it is in the child's backwards baseball cap. Would it be easy to take that kids baseball cap and change it to an adults instead?
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 2:08 PM
converting child to adult is a pain.
I might can do the veryhigh detail and use the direct x tool on them to create the lower polygon ones.
But only when i have to deal with one joint.

Another problem is that i still haven't found the scalp meshes for the adults in TSRW to use as reference
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 3:01 PM
Here....
Try this one, its the child converted to adult
I have not seen it ingame tho, test it out and let me know.
Small file as i linked all back to the child.
Keep modding tho Queen, its fun

The reason i was able to do this is that sims 3 hairs a pretty crappy build compared to the ones from sims 2.
They are no longer attached to the scalp just floating above the head so it was a bit easier to scale them to adult size.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Bloom_amHairBaseballCapBack.7z (127.1 KB, 54 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 6:53 PM
Thank you, I'll try it out. I was actually managing to convert the hat okay...apart from a few things that were wrong I didn't know how to fix it.
I will keep trying, it is fun :D!