Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Locked thread | Replies: 1398 (Who?), Viewed: 156313 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD ([url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795)[/url]. This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 1 of 56
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 6:22 PM Last edited by Numenor : 22nd Feb 2006 at 4:44 PM.
Default ARCHIVE: Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial V 2.0 (*CLOSED*)
By: JWoods, Numenor, Lethe_S & IgnorantBliss

EDIT by Numenor:

This is the Archive for the old posts from the Start to Finish Object Creation Tutorial thread.

You will find the actual tutorials, and and active help thread HERE

(*Thread closed*)
3 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 6:47 PM
is this a tutorial on how to edit a thing in 3d program
if yes
then well done
i love it
i wanted it
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 6:54 PM
Very nice tutorial, JWoods... it will be very useful for new object makers!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 7:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by owaizoo
is this a tutorial on how to edit a thing in 3d program
if yes
then well done
i love it
i wanted it

It is a tutorial on how to make an object from scratch using basic tools and procedures.

faeriegurl, thanks... I think in a whole it will adress many aspects including poly counts and the theories behind object creation for the Sims 2 game.

I wanted to embed the theories as well as show "how to".

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 9:41 PM
Good work, as usual!
Finally, people will have an answer to the oldest question of the world: how do I create a new object? :D

I've downloaded the Word version (because actually I couldn't see all the pictures in the on-line one...), and I've found everything well explained. The part related to the UV mapping is very interesting!

I don't use Milkshape (I have limited necessities, so Wings3D is enough for me), but I could nevertheless follow the tutorial perfectly.

Only a little note: in the scenegraph rename window, the option "EP-ready v. 2" should *not* be checked; that option should be checked only when creating/editing "sim" meshes and clothing. Checking it when editing an object will lead to losing the outdoor shadows (if you look at the last picture of your tutorial, the stereo doesn't cast shadows). The indoor shadow, on the contrary, is correctly displayed, thanks to your recommendation to keep the "groundshadow" mesh.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 10:19 PM
Numenor, Thank you my friend, you have answered a question I have been pondering on for a while now...
The missing outdoor shadows... I was under the impression that checking the box was to make the package E.P. ready... I have updated both copies in regards to the non-checking of the "EP-ready v. 2" box.
Scholar
#7 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 3:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenor
Only a little note: in the scenegraph rename window, the option "EP-ready v. 2" should *not* be checked; that option should be checked only when creating/editing "sim" meshes and clothing.

Numenor, I wanted to point out that the checkbox should not be checked when doing body or hair meshes either. If it is checkmarked when doing body or hair meshes, the mesh will not show up in BodyShop or in the game.
Instructor
#8 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 5:31 AM
Now i'm curious lol

what exactly EP v.2 checkbox do?
sorry, but i never checked it either to do my tests. for clothing (WDS BriAnna already said to never check it) and objects (since i saw Numenor's posts in SimPE forum about outdoor shadows).
Field Researcher
#9 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 5:34 AM
I never check that box either.... what exactly is it for? lol
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 9:06 AM
Thank you very much for this extensive tutorial, I'll be back in a year or so with a box of my own
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 4:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyran
Thank you very much for this extensive tutorial, I'll be back in a year or so with a box of my own

LOL, A year? I have had returns in the "Beta" testing of anywhere from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours... The first time I do any tutorial it's always longer, as I repeat it a few times it's memorized and the procedures are knocked down in time extensively...

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 4:32 PM
Im downloading, I'll get back to you on what happens!!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 4:43 PM
I know this one, that means I should get along with it just fine, thankyou....oh, and there was me thinking I could print it out.... :weep:
The ModFather
#14 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 5:47 PM
Seems that this "EP-ready v.2" is creating a lot of confusion... I'm confused, too!

I'm sorry to have reported an inaccurate info: the "V.2" checkbox should *not* be checked when cloning either objects and clothing meshes. Basically, that checkbox is a relic of a long and difficult evolution of the EP-ready format.

I've spent the last half an hour to read all the old posts in SimPE forum, in order to remember why I had to create the EP-ready v.2.
The original EP-ready (v.1) had an issue that prevented the "slave" textures in lamps to be correctly displayed. So I created the v.2, that fixed the issue, but WDS Brianna didn't like it, because the clothing packages are different from the objects packages. Moreover, the v.2 couldn't handle the outdoors shadows.
So, we reverted to EP v.1, but changing it slightly (no need to explain technical details here ). This "new" EP v.1 was perfect for both object and clothing cloning, so the V.2 was basically discontinued.
V.2 should now be used only for cloning objects that for any reason cast "wrong" outdoor shadows (I still remember a chair that used to cast a shadow that looked like the original mesh...). Using the V.2 will delete all the outdoor shadows.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 5:50 PM
"the "V.2" checkbox should *not* be checked"

is that in SimPE?
Test Subject
#16 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 2:31 AM
ok i followed it all but um i cant seem to get the file thats made in the mesh tool (*.simpe) to open in simpe.
is there a plugin or wat???!!! im lost...
The ModFather
#17 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 9:43 AM
SPIKESGALS: the chechbox is located at the bottom of the "Scenegraph Rename Wizard" window, that appears when cloning an object or calling the "Fix Integrity" function.

TEKNAKOLAIR: the file created with the MeshTool should be selected when replacing the original GMDC; right click on the GMDC and choose "Replace", then browse the hard disk to find the .simpe file created with the MeshTool. If you can't find it, try and select "All Files" in the drop-down list located at the bottom of the "Open file" window.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 10:29 AM
I am 3d challenged and will have great difficulties with object making. I have never used a 3d program and don't even have one yet. So a year might be what I need

But, I have at least learnt to recolor/retexture objects now Creating for TS2 is so different from creating for TS1.
Test Subject
#19 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 1:57 AM
This is my very first object and was made by using the tutorial. I didnt have a clue what I was doing 3D wise. Texture was made by me in PSP.

I would like to deeply Thank JWoods for taking the time and patience to write this tutorial.
Screenshots

Simtastic
Lots of Downloads for your Sims!!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#20 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 3:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyran
I am 3d challenged and will have great difficulties with object making. I have never used a 3d program and don't even have one yet. So a year might be what I need

But, I have at least learnt to recolor/retexture objects now Creating for TS2 is so different from creating for TS1.

In the nicest way "you are only as challenged as you think you are... Think you can and you will". I apply this theory to everything I encounter in life...

A suggestion is to take the tutorial in stride... It is not really as big as it seems, theres just a lot of images that give a visual to the type above them...

Numenor... Thanks for covering my "back" above I have had a lot of buisiness(work) the past day or so...

TEKNAKOLAIR: The first thing I usually do when working any project is create a folder on my desktop and give it a name assosiated with the project. This helps me keep track of all the different files contained within the project so I do not have to hunt...

SpiritWolf: You box looks much better then mine...

(This girl hand made her texture by hand, very impressive as I have seen it in-game... )

Scholar
#21 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 3:40 AM
Blah. The 3D Programs are confusing to me LMAO!!! even Milkshape confuses me.. I have Anim8or... Let just say, My Egg Plant doesn't look like an Egg Plant.. I don't even think I have the bottom done lol!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 1:11 PM
lol I think I'll take a look at this.. I downloaded milkshape the othe day and mesh tool and a uvmapper.. (need that for something else)
I made what I think looks like a vase in milkshape... i tihnk... lol
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 10:39 PM
I am halfway I think *phew* Next will be the UV thingy, but that will have to wait til tomorrow cause my eyes are hurting (surgery 1 week ago). Milkshape is a bit strange, I never got to see a 3d pic in the blue section. And I had problems figuring out how to zoom so I actually totally lost the pic in the blue field after a while But maybe I have created something a bit box like.

Unfortunately it is well documented that my intellectual strength is not in the visou-spatial area. But my stubbornness usually helps me to overcome obstacles And as I said to a friend " I will create something in 3d, or die".
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 10:42 PM
I'll keep an eye on the obituaries.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 1:52 AM
[QUOTE=Lyran] "but I had problems figuring out how to zoom so I actually totally lost the pic in the blue field after a while "

Unfortunetly MilkShape does not give an alternative option to zooming with the center mouse button within the application it's self... I did find another way and it is in the tutorial as quoted here:

"If you do not have a center mouse wheel to zoom
in and out with you can use the Shift-key in combination
with the left mouse button and move back and forth with the mouse.
These 2 zoom functions also work in the 2d-Viewports.".

It is inserted in the tutorial where zooming is needed...

I do not think an obituary entry will be... But if you try to stray from the tutorial the first time to make something different it is possible...

The idea here is to follow it making the "Boom Box" then move on to other basic objects until you feel comfortable... Unless of course you have more experience then the absolute beginner and can work with the programs to some extent...

ozymandias: Do not post your negative remarks in my thread, I am trying to help people here and your first ever post at MTS2 is not saying much about who you are... Restore your integrity and remove it please...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 56