Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 973 (Who?), Viewed: 156133 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 1 of 39
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 6:38 PM Last edited by Psion : 4th May 2005 at 1:11 PM.
Default Help thread for: How to add more Colors to Objects
UPDATE NOTE: The thread this is about can be found at http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=31193

This is actually a great tutorial... Thanks pinhead.
2 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 6:42 PM
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! I will get onto this right away!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 6:50 PM
You have made a fantastic job with this!!
Test Subject
#4 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 6:52 PM
WOW what a great Fxxkin Job THANX ALOT !!!
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 6:53 PM
Top Of The Line Best Tutorial I Have Ever Seen
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 6:56 PM
This is great! Now you cannot get replies such as "please explain easier". Lol! That is as easy as it gets with pics and all. Lol! This is awesome and I am going to try it out today.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#7 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 6:56 PM
As soon as I become fully awake I'll read this through and let you know if I have any suggestions. I'm just so tired. But it looks FANTASTIC, pinhead.

Oh, I know one thing. You need to add a section about how to tell if your texture uses transparency and the difference between DXT1 and DXT3, and image dimension constraints that are essential when working with these formats.

Also Need to add a bit about if you want to create a texture for something that is NOT the fridge, how do you find out what internal name the game uses for that object... so you will know what to search for to extract.

Brilliantly done.

RG
Field Researcher
#8 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:09 PM
Ha, I'm already having a problem!

On this step:



You say to select "Import Local LIFO", I don't have that option. The only options I have are "Import" and "Import Alpha Channel" Would it be ok to just do import?
Instructor
#9 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
As soon as I become fully awake I'll read this through and let you know if I have any suggestions. I'm just so tired. But it looks FANTASTIC, pinhead.

Oh, I know one thing. You need to add a section about how to tell if your texture uses transparency and the difference between DXT1 and DXT3, and image dimension constraints that are essential when working with these formats.

Also Need to add a bit about if you want to create a texture for something that is NOT the fridge, how do you find out what internal name the game uses for that object... so you will know what to search for to extract.

Brilliantly done.

RG


You will need to help me out because, like you, i'm out of my mind right now and i can't think clearly... lol
but i know that have more things to say about this process.


thanks RGiles, you're awesome!!
Instructor
#10 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary
Ha, I'm already having a problem!

On this step:

You say to select "Import Local LIFO", I don't have that option. The only options I have are "Import" and "Import Alpha Channel" Would it be ok to just do import?


The LIFO have to be imported with the other files.
They have to be in the same package.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:13 PM Last edited by Temporary : 13th Dec 2004 at 7:18 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
The LIFO have to be imported with the other files.
They have to be in the same package.


Huh? *slams head on wall* So....what do I do?

[EDIT] Nevermind!!...I just updated SimPE to 12p, and the option showed up! Silly me!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot 1927-1956 Christian martyr in Ecuador
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#12 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
You will need to help me out because, like you, i'm out of my mind right now and i can't think clearly... lol
but i know that have more things to say about this process.


thanks RGiles, you're awesome!!


I'll be happy to. I just want to cover as MANY things as possible in the tutorial main page, so it will cut down on many people asking the same question. I'm keeping track of things we had to answer a lot before, so that you can add those items to the main part of the Tutorial.

I'm very impressed with all your screenshots. Keeping them in order must NOT have been fun!

RG
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#13 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary
Huh? *slams head on wall* So....what do I do?

Did you export the full lifo file from objects08.package? If not, Open objects08, find the lifo file the same way you found your TXTR and other files (there will be two of them. One has at the end 1_lifo and the other has at the end 0_lifo... you want the one that ends in 0_lifo) export the correct instance, and import it into your new package.

RG
Instructor
#14 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:23 PM
RGiles: Regarding DXT, IIRC from my Morrowind days, DXT1 cannot hold an alpha channel (well not one with shades of grey anyhow, I think it may be able to do a simple black or white transparent or showing alpha) and the texture sizes needed to be either a box in certain proportions like 256x256, 512x512 etc or else a rectangle like 256x512, 512x256, 512x1024, 1024x512 etc.

Is this still the case here?
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#15 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:25 PM
Well, Pinhead, I'm astonished! Now I know what you meant when you complained about the number of the pictures to deal with...
If I may make a suggestion, later on you could integrate this wonderful tutorial (or post a separate intermediate-level add-on, if you think it's better, along with the clean/dirty tutorial) to explain what are the differences between single-part objects (like the fridge) and multi-part objects (like the crib, some sofas, some bars...).
Eventually, when you'll come to explain how to add colors to kitchen counters, I'll invite you out for dinner I've been stuck with a damn counter for a week! :mad:
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#16 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:27 PM
I knew you were the same Motoki. Boy would I love to know what went on with all those better heads and bodies. Oh, the WARS!

DXT1 seems not to include any transparency, DXT3 uses black and white binary transparency, and DXT5 uses full greyscale alpha channels. That is to the best of my memory, of course.

And you're correct that file dimensions must be powers of 2 so any variation of 2, 4....128, 256, 512

RG
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#17 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
Eventually, when you'll come to explain how to add colors to kitchen counters, I'll invite you out for dinner I've been stuck with a damn counter for a week! :mad:

numenor, what's your trouble with the kitchen counter? I don't see why this would be different from the shower curtain or another object than get dirty.
Instructor
#18 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
Did you export the full lifo file from objects08.package? If not, Open objects08, find the lifo file the same way you found your TXTR and other files (there will be two of them. One has at the end 1_lifo and the other has at the end 0_lifo... you want the one that ends in 0_lifo) export the correct instance, and import it into your new package.

RG


yep! like a said before and complained about:
i started over 3 times because i was lost with so many images to look at.
lol
Now i'm a little more aliviated, but not so much. soon will appear the questions about objects with 2 states and objects that already don't have another color to choose from.
Test Subject
#19 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:39 PM
Default ?
I've got SimPE 12p but I still don't get 'Import local lifo'. :confused: I don't know why this is happening... >_<
Test Subject
#20 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:39 PM
Ohh! awesome thank you so much mister Pinhead!
This is definately a much improved tutorial!! I really appreciate both tutorials though. I found the other one to be quite educational since I learned quite a bit from reading it over (...and over) This just really helps to put things in perspective, for me anyway. Thanks a bunch, it is Pretty cool to say the least! Thank you all really *You know who you are!*
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#21 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:41 PM
Well, I posted something in another thread, I don't even remember where... The problem is that when I zoom out, parts of the counter (e.g. the doors, but not the back, or the drawer but not the doors...) revert to the original color. When I zoom further out, those parts show again the new color but other parts revert to original... It's not about a misuse of the mipmaps. Maybe it's a problem similar to the one I had related to sofas and loveseats, I'll have to double check the GUID description. Or, I'd better check again the whole project, having in mind what I've learned in the last few days.
Instructor
#22 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdadum04
I've got SimPE 12p but I still don't get 'Import local lifo'. :confused: I don't know why this is happening... >_<


If you have the LIFOs in your package, the option will appear.
look carefuly to see if your package already have them.
Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:44 PM Last edited by dumdadum04 : 13th Dec 2004 at 7:47 PM.
(edit)

Never mind. I made a mistake I didn't have 12p >_<. Anyways, it works now, thanks.
Instructor
#24 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
I knew you were the same Motoki. Boy would I love to know what went on with all those better heads and bodies. Oh, the WARS!


Yep that would be me. The heads we did at DXT1 no mipmaps 256x256 (except for a few odd ones like the long bearded Breton and Orc). I kind of regret the loss of quality with DXT1's higher compression, but it wasn't really noticeable in the game, just photoshop.

I'll have to try my hand at a Sims 2 object now that it's sort of figured out. I'll see what I can do when I get home tonight *crosses fingers*
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#25 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:45 PM
Numenor,
someone has posted a kitchen counter for download in Betas. Maybe you should try it, see if it gives the same problem, and if not maybe you'll be able to find what he did differently? I know he reused hases for one thing, and it seems not to cause a conflict.

RG
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 39
Back to top