Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Replies: 605 (Who?), Viewed: 142916 times.
Page 1 of 25
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 1:42 AM Last edited by Echo : 10th Sep 2008 at 2:25 PM. Reason: Added wiki link
Colour Options for "EP-ready" packages - UPDATED 24Mar05
Colour Options for "EP-ready" packages

06 Feb 2005 - Major Update; added "Procedure A"
09 Feb 2005 - Added info to "Procedure A"
09 Feb 2005 - Added "Procedure B"
14 Feb 2005 - Added additional info at the end of "Procedure A"
22 Mar 2005 - I've decided to publish a comprehensive Guide to creating colour-enabled objects: that Guide explains a method that, if followed correctly, in most cases lets you create an object that is automatically colour-enabled. Therefore, this tutorial will still remain valid only for the objects that fail to be "enabled" using the aforementioned Guide, and for objects that you want to "borrow" the textures from the originals.

INDEX:
1) Introduction - Choosing the right Procedure
2) "Procedure A" and "Procedure B"

----------
Tutorials:Colour_Options_for_EP-ready_packageswiki
Screenshots

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
18 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
The ModFather
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 1:43 AM Last edited by Numenor : 29th Sep 2005 at 9:59 AM. Reason: Restored missing pictures
INTRODUCTION

Since new specifications for "Ep-ready" packages were defined, and a new SimPE version was released to comply with them, I'm going to rewrite this tutorial, adding new info and pictures when needed.

This tutorial explains how to fix the internal subset structure, in order to enable or restore the colour options for your new object; or to "link" you new object to an original one, in order to make available for your objects all the original textures.

All the following info applies to "EP-ready" packages created with SimPE v.015 (or higher) and following the official cloning and re-meshing tutorial.

An important thing that you should care of, if you are interested in enabling colour options for your object, is the number of meshes that your object is composed of.
Since the game catalog only allows two subsets (meshes) to be recoloured, you should use the lowest number of meshes possible, according to your needs. Try and keep the original meshes structure, whenever it's possible; this means keeping the same number and names as the original object. Believe me, your work will be much easier, and your object will have less recolouring issues if you keep the original mesh names.
Obviously, if you have a valid reason to alter the original mesh structure (e.g. different parts use different textures, or you plan to create special animations for a single part of the object), you can do it; simply, your object might be only partially recolourable, or not recolourable at all.

One last word about the GMDC names. When you import the modified GMDC, don't leave its name "Custom_Object": after you have spent hours creating a new mesh, spend a few seconds more to find a new name for it! This is very important! The more common and short is the name, the higher is the risk of conflicts with other objects!
We strongly suggest to create a name in the format "yourIinitials_NewUniqueName_gmdc".

And now, let's begin...

Colour Options: choosing the most suitable procedure

You first need to check at what extension the original subset structure was altered.
To do so, open the new modified GMDC and look at the "Models" list.

Compare the new Models list with the original object's one (if you don't remember it, clone again the original object).

In the pictures above, you can see that the original mesh "body" was replaced by the new mesh "NewMesh1". Remember the name of the old mesh: we'll need this information later on!

According to the modifications you have made in the Models list, compared to the original one, there are the following alternative possibilities:

a) The number of the Models in the new GMDC is greater then in the original GMDC *or* the new meshes use custom textures --> Follow "Procedure A"

b) The number of the Models in the new GMDC is the same then in the original GMDC *and* the new meshes use the same textures then the original meshes (it doesn't matter if you have renamed the meshes)--> Follow "Procedure B"

Obviously, if you have cloned an object in order to hack it (and therefore you haven't modified the GMDC), the only option is "Procedure "B".
Screenshots

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

The ModFather
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 1:43 AM Last edited by Numenor : 29th Sep 2005 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Restored missing pictures
Procedure A: create new colour options for you object

Preliminary step: Cleaning up the package

Usually in the clone package there are a some (or many) useless Material Overrides; they are "useless" because in the clone package there aren't the related MATDs and textures, so they only can cause trouble. Therefore, let's get rid of them!

1) Take note of the filenames of the existing Material Definitions (MATD); if you want, write them down for future reference.

2) In each Material Overrides, check the file reference in the "Name" field, and delete all the Material Overrides that hold reference to a Material Definition not included in the list. Do not confuse Material Overrides with Material Definitions!

Enabling Colour Options

Check again the "Models" list in the new GMDC and choose which subsets (max 2!) you want enable colour option for. In the following example (look picture) we are going to enable colour options for only one subset: the "NewMesh1".

Open the Geometry Node (GMND), plugin view, and open the pull-down blocklist; select the "tsDesignModeEnabled" entry. Note: if the "tsDesignModeEnabled" block *doesn't exist*, then you can quit here: your object can't have colour options.

In the "Items" window, select the first line, then edit its name in the "Name" field. Commit.

Still in the "Items" window, select in turn all the remaining lines and delete them. Commit.

Note: if you have decided to enable colour options for two subsets, instead then only one, you can edit both lines (instead then deleting the second one).

Now it's time to correct the Material Overrides.

Remember that in our example, the old mesh "body" was replaced by the "NewMesh1".
Open, in turn, each Material Override and check the "SubsetName" field, looking for the old subset name ("body"); if the subset name is other then "body", delete the Material override.

When you've found the Material Override related to the "body" subset, you have to replace "body" with "NewMesh1"; to do so, click on the "SubsetName" line and edit its value in the "Value" field

------------------------------------------------------------------
Some users reported objects reverting to original colour when exiting an re-entering the lot. In this case, do the following:
- Open, in turn, all the Material Overrides and select the "modelName" line;
- Delete the ##01c050000! part at the beginning of the model name;
- Commit and save.
One last step is needed, especially for lamps, plumbing or other multi-state objects. If in the clone package there is a Text List with instance # 0x88, you have yo open it and replace all the Material Definition references with your own Material References. You have to add ##0x1c050000! in front of each filename.
Remember to click "Change all" before committing!

Finished! Now Save and test you package. Create a recolour package using Object Workshop and test both the new object and the recolour in game; remember to test if the obkłjects keep their recolours when exiting and re-entering the lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Procedure B: Linking your new object to the original one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The aim of this procedure is to let your new object use all the recolours (original or custom-made) related to the original object.
This is obviously the best choice if you have cloned an object in order to hack it: since the exterior appearance of the hacked object is the same as the original one, there's no need to create custom recolours or textures for it; it's better to use all the existing textures of the original object, instead.

Even re-meshed object can be "linked" to the original ones; this is possible if your new object:
A1) has the same number of meshes then the original object (it doesn't matter if you have renamed the meshes);
A2) uses the original textures (and not custom ones).

In the following tutorial, we'll take as an example a ceiling lamp re-meshed by Buntah from the original "4 by 4 Designer Chandelier". As usual, I'll assume that you created your re-meshed object using SimPE v.015 or later, and you followed the official Mesh Tool tutorial.

Preliminary step: Cleaning up the package

Since you are going to use the original textures, there's a lot of files that can be safely deleted, as they are useless in a "linked" package. You have to delete:
B1) All the Material Overrides (MMAT)
B2) All the Material Definitions (MATD)
B3) All the Texture Images (TXTR)
B4) All the Large Image Files (LIFO - if any)
Save the package.

Restoring the original subset structure

Object Workshop, when cloning a package, creates a fully stand-alone package; but in this case we have to "correct" this because our packages is to be "linked" to the original object.
Moreover, maybe you have renamed the meshes, during the process of extracting/editing/reimporting them; we have to fix this, too, so that the original internal structure of the new object is as similar as possible to the original object.

First off, we need to gather some information about the original object. To do so, we just clone again the original object: open another instance of SimPE, open the Object Workshop plugin, select the original object, check the "Clone" radio button and uncheck all the options except "Pull only default colour" (on older versions of SimPE it is "Use Scenegraph Chain" or "Use RCOL relations"); now hit "Start" and you'll soon have listed all the files related to the original object.

Write down the following info:

C1) In the Geometry Data Container (Plugin view), write down the "Models" listed under the "Items 3" tab, in the order you find them.
Note: this step is not needed for hacked objects.

C2) In the Shape (Plugin view), under the "Parts" tab, click in turn on each line and write down the values for "Subset Name" and "Material Definition file".

C3) In the Resource Node (Plugin View), write down the Filename (without the _cres extension).

Now close the original object (you don't need to save) and go back to your new object. Now we need to restore the original values into the GMDC and into the Shape.

D1) Geometry Data Container, Plugin View, "Items 3" tab: compare the Models list with the one taken from the original object; if there are differences, rename the meshes accordingly to the original names. To do so, click on the mesh to be renamed and edit its name in the "Name" field located in the center of the screen.
Commit every time you change anything!

D2) Shape, Plugin View, "Parts" tab: click in turn on each line of the list and restore the original values both for the "Subset" and the "Material Definition File"; no parts of the existing values should be kept, including the ##0x1c050000! part and the 128-bit hash (if any).
Commit every time you change anything!

Linking the new object with the original one

This is the "heart" of the procedure. We are going to alter the Geometry Node in order to tell the game that the textures should *not* be searched in our package, but in the original object.

E1) Open the Geometry Node, Plugin View, "Edit Blocks" tab. Open the pull-down menu and choose "cDataListExtension"

E2) Click "Add" and a new block called "cDataListExtension" will appear in the list. Do *not* click Commit (anyway, if you click it by mistake, don't worry about the error messages, just go on...).

E3) Now look if by chance there is a block called "copyright". If so, select it and click "Down", until it is at the last line.

E4) Select the "content" tab, and then the "cObjectGraphNode" tab. Click "Add" and a new line will appear in the reference list.

E5) Click on the newly created line, in order to select it, then edit the following fields: in the "Enabled" field write always "1"; as for the value to put in the "Index" field, increase by one the last index of the list (in the picture, the last index is "5", so you have to write "6").

E6) Now open the pull-down blocklist and select "cDataListExtension"

E7) In the "Name" field, write tsMaterialsMeshName. Commit (finally!) but do not Save. If you save, you have to reselect Geometric Node in Package Files window, open Blocklist again and select cDataListExtension (this time it would show up in the list as "tsMaterialsMeshName (cDataListExtension)"

E8) From the blocklist, select the "tsDesignModeEnabled" block, and write down how many items there are, and their names. In this example there are two items, called "metal" and "shade"

E9) Go back the the "cDataListExtension" block and open the pull-down list; select "String".

E10) Click "Add" twice (in this example we have two subsets); select in turn the two lines and write in the fields the following values: in the "Name" field, the subset name ("metal" and "shade"); in the "String" field, the name of the original Resource Node (without the _cres extension). Commit and Save.

Finished! Copy your package in the download folders and test it: in the catalog you should see your new object (with the asterisk); when you select it, you should see all the colour options of the original object (without asterisks).

#4 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 3:05 AM Last edited by Tombstone : 1st Feb 2005 at 3:10 AM.
I couldn't find Material Overrides menu, where is it? so on could you be specify which name that need to be delete?
thanks for writen this by the way it's very helpful

*Edit: seems like some object doesn't have Material Overrides, other object does
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 5:04 AM
Holy crap... that is a whole lot of things to do.

Great post though.

The ModFather
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 10:20 AM
Tombstone, the Material Overrides aren't a menu (have I misunderstood your question?); look in the "Filetypes" panel of SimPE (upper-left corner).
You're right, some object (very few, indeed, thanks to the CEP) don't have Material Overrides, because they don't have colour options.

SimWardrobe: Yes, I know, I'm sorry.
But mind that this is the "short" version! :D
Nearly alive
#7 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 12:39 PM
I`d just like to add something about the names of meshes/subsets, you said to leave them as the original name, this is okay if the object is a modified object, but when using the wizard, it creates the names (in the gmdc file) by using what ever the name was in the obj file, so people will either need to name the meshes/parts in their 3d program as the same as the original object or rename them back to the original name in SimPE. Also a lot of new objects have more parts/subsets than the original.

So I don`t know what problems these renamed subsets might cause, but I haven`t found any reported problems yet.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 2:20 PM
No, Miche, it's not a problem; It's a matter of semplifying the subsequent work needed to have a correct package.
I don't know how to create or modify a 3D object, but I think (tell me if I'm wrong) that different meshes can be grouped together in the 3D editing program. So, at least, it should be possible to mantain the same number of subsets of the original object.
Actually, if you add/modify the name and number of subsets, there's a simple solution: you can remove all the reference to the old subsets in the GMND (in the tsDesignModeEnabled); as a consequence, for the new object no colour options will be available, nor it will be possible to enable colour options for it in the future. In this case, you can also delete all the MMATS, that are useless.
If you are willing to have a "colour limited" object, this is the best solution. I can only suggest to mantain the recolour ability for your objects, because *I know* that the users go crazy if the objects can't be recolourable
Nearly alive
#9 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 3:05 PM Last edited by Miche : 1st Feb 2005 at 3:13 PM.
Thanks for replying, however I really don`t advise people to put all the parts/meshes together into one big mesh/group, if really they should be seperate meshes. For now it shouldn`t be a big problem (maybe limiting the flexibility as each subset can only have one texture map) but it is likely to cause problems doing it that way once we have the animation support added. (what we are currently working on).

However, people should use their common sense, and limit the number of meshes/subsets there are in a object, to me, 5 or 6 seems like it should be the maximum for most objects. I don`t think there is really the need for getting into double figures (or even 20+ like a couple of people have attempted)
The ModFather
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 4:02 PM Last edited by numenor : 1st Feb 2005 at 4:07 PM.
Sorry for my ignorance, but (in few words) what you mean with "animation support"?
I know that sometimes the objects have some parts that can move autonomously, and the sims can interact with them (i.e. the steam lever of the espresso machine); this parts needs to have a subset of their own.
Other parts of the object may refer to a special texture (maybe shared with some other object, like the screen of the TV when it is off); these parts, too, must have a subset of their own.
But sometimes (quite often...) different parts of an object are treated as a whole in animations/interactions, and all of them refer to the same texture; in these cases, Maxis itself chose to group all the parts in one subset.
On the contrary, I saw a Grand Piano composed by 8 different meshes/subsets, while the original Piano only has 1; as a matter of fact, all the available animations for the Piano refer to the piano as a whole; moreover, all the "new" 8 meshes refer to the same texture. In cases like this I think that grouping the 8 meshes together definitely should *not* be an option...
So, as a rule of thumb, I'd say that the creator should examine the existing meshes and try to use the same structure, unless he has a valid reason not to do so (e.g. he wants to apply to a specific part a specific texture, or he *plans* to create a new specific animation related to a single part).
Am I wrong? It seems to me that basically we are saying the same things.
Nearly alive
#11 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 4:56 PM Last edited by Miche : 1st Feb 2005 at 5:02 PM.
yeah I agree that people should try to keep as close as possible to the original number.

But there are a lot of details to work out still with the animations , but diferent objects animate in different ways, some will animate a whole object, some will animate a whole subset and some will animate parts of the subset (what I call sub groups and bones). At first, the way we do it may have to be different to the way maxis does it, and we might not be able to animate the sub-groups, so any animated part would need to be a subset, this is still subject to change of course.

A example being the alien ware computer while it is made up of 3 (or 4) subsets (or what I call meshes) most of the parts are in just one of those, then these are divided into sub-groups which are animated independent of each other. When we add animation support for new objects it might be that each of these parts would need to be a subset/mesh rather than a sub-group of a mesh.

I agree though that we are saying basiclly the same thing, and think this might be the wrong place to talk about this, sure we are just confusing people now.

However I think at first (when we have added the ability to create new animations etc) people may have to decide if they want a object animated or recolourable. Then later we will be able to work on solving the problems.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 5:50 PM
Your example about the Alienware computer and your explanation about how an animation can be related to single sub-groups are perfectly clear to me, now; thank you.
I don't think that we are confusing people, or at list I hope that who wants to create a new object will understand that there are many elements to consider. I fear persons who make things too simple...
Anyway, if an original subset must be divided into several different new subsets, this will not prevent a correct recolouring; as long as all the sub-groups rely on the same texture to be recoloured, there are methods to "link" all the sub-groups to 1 texture, thus preserving the colour options for the object. But this is more difficult to explain, and this is not the moment to do that
So far, the only solution is what you said in your previous post: people should use their common sense, and limit the number of meshes/subsets there are in a object.
I'll edit my post as soon as possible.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:47 AM
MAJOR Prob here. On the CRES, Is that on the filelist Resource Node? Because when I click on that and the file in the packed files section, It doesn't give me any tabs to choose just a grid with Sorts at the top (Type, Data, Name, DataLong, DataLength). I'm working with a sculpture.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:53 AM
anarchistIOU,
I had that problem, too. First you make sure you're using the newest SimPE. Then you go into the menu: plugins, installed plugins... Then you UNCHECK CRES wrapper. Then restart SimPE.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 4:34 AM
Something to keep in mind, Miche and Numenor... you may not be using the term "subset" in the same way. I believe Numenor is speaking of named material groups, while Miche is speaking of separate mesh sections that relate to bones. These aren't necessarily related. A single material group may be applied to more than one mesh subset.

That is, I believe. We've got material people and mesh people not speaking the same language, and it may be confusing as it was when I was trying to explain what I know about GMNDs to Miche and Delphy.

RG
Field Researcher
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 4:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
Something to keep in mind, Miche and Numenor... you may not be using the term "subset" in the same way. I believe Numenor is speaking of named material groups, while Miche is speaking of separate mesh sections that relate to bones. These aren't necessarily related. A single material group may be applied to more than one mesh subset.

That is, I believe. We've got material people and mesh people not speaking the same language, and it may be confusing as it was when I was trying to explain what I know about GMNDs to Miche and Delphy.

RG

hehe I know what you mean.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 5:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
Part 2
(...)
If, on the contrary, you have replaced an existing subset names, I'm sure you have also copied their names and pasted them into the SHPE ("Parts" tab), just like is suggested in the Mesh Tool Tutorial. You did right, but it's not enough .
I hope that you still remember the names of the original subsets; if not, open a MMAT in your package and look at the last line: the old subsets names are there (you have only to remember which new name replaced which old name...).
Now, copy again the names of the new subsets (you can retrieve them from the GMDC, "Items 3" tab) and replace every occurrences of the old subsets in the following locations:
a) all the MMATs (last line); commit.
b) in the GMND, into the "tsDesignModeEnabled" block; to find that block, open the pull-down "Blocklist" and select it; then, in the center of the screen, select the line with the old subset name and edit it using the field on the right. Commit and Save.

I think I have a good advice on that, specially for newbies (as I'm kind of one):
I'm using 3dsmax for mesh editing, exporting to .3ds, then using Blender (as I don't have Milkshape) to import the .3ds file and re-export as a .obj. It works well, since 3dsmax usually bugs the files when converting to .obj.
What I'm doing is exporting subsets according to how many subsets the original object in the game has. For example, I made a chair that had 2 subsets (not counting the shadow) - one for the chair, and one for the seat. So I did my chair mesh and first exported only the chair as a .3ds, then exported only the seat as a .3ds. After that, I import the chair with Blender and the seat, and they'll come up as separated subsets when I export the whole mesh to .obj.
In SimPE, I've replaced the original subset names for my subset names. When I tried following your tutorial about renaming everything, the 3 times I tried that, I ended up with a invisible object in my game. So instead of replacing the original subsets for mines, I renamed my subsets with the same names as the original subsets, and only that. It worked fine for me, actually it worked wonderfully! They came as two separated texture choices in the game - one for the chair, one for the seat - and also I could successfully recolor and add new textures to the catalog without problems. :D

Maybe I'm being dumb and rewriting something you've already said, so forgive me if so... if not, it might be useful for someone.

P.S.: Also, the step B) you wrote, I couldn't do that. There isn't anything in the center of the screen, and when I select the line with the old subset name, the fields on the right are not editable. :confused:

77 Sim Lane
.. In shadows growing wings ..

Alchemist
#18 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 5:40 AM
I've been following this thread carefully because it touches things I have been doing a lot of work on recently.
I started with the 'Adult' painting that's in the downloads section now. Although I was not able to change the mesh of an object yet at that time, I spent a good deal of time figuring out how to clone an object and have all the parts in your package, because I knew when I was finished with the code to change a mesh, I needed some way to put it in the game.
And you know what the hardest part was? Changing all the names, and getting all the hashing and TGI fixes done. And that one was built without Object Workshop... I chased all the components down one by one.
Even with Quaxi's help in SimPE, naming and hashing and TGI fixes is still an issue. Unless someone wants their new Christmas Wreath creation parading around as 'painting_vertical', renaming all the internal parts is a problem.
If you change the disk filename of your object, you get a different hash value. If you change the internal filenames, you get different TGI values.
And as far as model names go, the fewer, the better. If you have a wooden cabinet with a granite top and brass hardware, you need three models, or two if you have a good UV mapping tool. Plus maybe a few shadow groups.
I wish I had the time to manage TWO projects, because a utility that would help get the name chain right (including hashes and TGI values) would be very useful, and would eliminate many of the postings from users frustrated because there is a blue object under their new object, or part of their new creation is invisible.
Because there are a lot of links in the chain, and it's easy to miss one, especially when you need to remember to click commit, save, then reselect. When I posted the first version of the wall shower, it overwrote the 'Coloratura' shower. Why? Well, it still had the original GUID. I know better, I swear I changed it, but it wasn't changed. I surmise that I missed clicking 'commit'. If people who are technical minded and know better can't get it right, how can we attract people who are artistic and not technical to make new things?
If someone is cruising by, looking for a good project to work on, a package renamer/checker would certainly be an instant hit.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 9:44 AM Last edited by numenor : 2nd Feb 2005 at 9:47 AM.
RGILES: thanks for having pointed out this possible misunderstanding; thought I'm sure that Miche and I have understood correctly each other, other users may get confused.
So, to make it easier for the mesh modders, let's say that when I talk about "subsets" I'm referring to the Model list into the GMDC (point 14 of the tutorial).

BLOODYWINE, as for the point B, look at tha attached picture, I hope that it will explain better then words
If there is a tsDesignModeEnabled block, it will contain some values for sure (some objects, very few, don't have the block at all).

WES_H: I agree 100% with what you say. Anyway, Miche is right, too, when he says that in the near future the aanimation support will be added and may happen that an animation will be connected to a sub-part of the original mesh: in this case, the creator must divide the original mesh (subset) in at least two pieces. But if someone is willing to do such a difficult thing, like add animation, I'm sure he can handle the subset renaming procedure. I know, many mistakes can be made during this procedure. Moreover, sometimes SimPE is not perfect when performing particular operations, so the risk of errors is higher.
So, I'd advice again all the mesh modders to keep the original subset structure, unless they have a very good reason not to do so.
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 10:41 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 2nd Feb 2005 at 10:49 AM.
-_-;;; After making all of these changes, my object spontaneously reverted back to the original bowl of fruit model. Even after I replaced the GMDC again. Seems that something is determined to not let me sucessfully make my own object. =_=;

I'm also having a lot of trouble following the list of steps, there are a few things that get changed that aren't all that obvious on what you have to fill in. Like... my cres name is RRZoraSapp. But under Shape, there's #0x7F6C599C!foodFruitBowl_foodfruitbowl_shpe. What the heck do I do with this?
I personally learn better if I have an example along side the set of steps, so... yeah. I'm getting horribly frustrated with this whole thing. First the object seems to ignore lighting, now it's gone from a jewel back to a bowl of fruit with the jewel's texture map and I have no idea why.
The ModFather
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:56 PM Last edited by numenor : 2nd Feb 2005 at 2:59 PM.
Saikatsu, I chose not to post picture for every step because I wanted to make my post a sort of to-do list, that the user could maybe print out and keep at hand as a reference.
Anyway, if some specific point are unclear, I'll be glad to post a picture, like I've done in my previous post.

As for the SHPE name, you have pointed out an interesting case: when the "old CRES name" is repeated inside the filename.
As a standard convention, the filenames are in the form:
#HASH!cresName_subsetname(_color)_ext
So, in your case, the CRES name that must be substituted is only the first part: between the hash and the first underscore _. Your new SHPE name will be:
#0x7F6C599C!RRZoraSapp_foodfruitbowl_shpe.
Maybe this identity by the cres name and the subset name has led you to make some mistake, causing your object to revert to its original shape.

If you can't fix it, post here your package and I'll take a look.

EDIT:
Why do you say that the object ignore the lighting? Have you added a LGHT file to the package?

Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 8:41 PM
hi, numenor...
this thread is a very good help for us... thank you so much...

but i have trouble with my new sofa... it worked good, but i want to make it "ready"
i followed your steps to make the object ready for recoloring, but it don't work so...
the recolor only shows up in one part of the sofa.... the pillows not, only the couch...
but i've never changed the subtypes in the GMDC and in the shape they are the same...
and it was only one textur for the original object.... and the shadows ofcourse...
*ripping hairs out*
what mistake i made?

this is my HP - cu there?
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 8:41 PM Last edited by Saikatsu : 2nd Feb 2005 at 9:29 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
Saikatsu, I chose not to post picture for every step because I wanted to make my post a sort of to-do list, that the user could maybe print out and keep at hand as a reference.
Anyway, if some specific point are unclear, I'll be glad to post a picture, like I've done in my previous post.

As for the SHPE name, you have pointed out an interesting case: when the "old CRES name" is repeated inside the filename.
As a standard convention, the filenames are in the form:
#HASH!cresName_subsetname(_color)_ext
So, in your case, the CRES name that must be substituted is only the first part: between the hash and the first underscore _. Your new SHPE name will be:
#0x7F6C599C!RRZoraSapp_foodfruitbowl_shpe.
Maybe this identity by the cres name and the subset name has led you to make some mistake, causing your object to revert to its original shape.

If you can't fix it, post here your package and I'll take a look.

EDIT:
Why do you say that the object ignore the lighting? Have you added a LGHT file to the package?

Ah, I understand the thing about it being a checklist. Perhaps a tutorial-like version with an example could be done?
Not even images are really needed, I suppose-- just along with the instructions, add what you're changing each one to.
Changing the SHPE to that didn't help, still a bowl of fruit, so I'm going to once more try from a copy I made before I started working on the RCOL things. If it doesn't work still, I'll post the copy without the RCOL changes. I'll edit my post to show what I'm changing everything to, cause I'm sure I'm getting something else here wrong.

In regards to the lighting... I'm not sure what's going on. For some reason, it shows up very dark. It's dark outside, and even inside in a room full of lamps, it's dark. I was told in the Mesh Tool help thread to check the specularity on the MATD but as far as I can tell, it's identical to the original bowl of fruit. o.O;

----------------------
EDIT: List of what I'm doing.
In case it matters, my model's name under the GMDC, Content>Items 3 is Sapphire. Filename under GMDC is #0x7f6c599c!RachelR_ZoraSapphire.
* Looked at MATD. Copied down original filename: #0x7F6C599C!foodfruitbowl_fruit_txmt
* I have two MATDs but only one MMAT. The second MATD seems to be an alpha for the shadow.
* LIFO was taken care of earlier. Deleted the file from the package.
* CRES name will be RRZoraSapp.
* Changed Text List instance 0x85 from foodFruitBowl to RRZoraSapp. Change in all, Commit.
* Changed Resource Node filename from #0x7F6C599C!foodFruitBowl_cres to #0x7F6C599C!RRZoraSapp_cres and changed cObjectGraphNode filename from foodFruitBowl_cres to RRZoraSapp_cres. Fix TGI, Commit.
* Changed Shape filename from #0x7F6C599C!foodFruitBowl_foodfruitbowl_shpe to #0x7F6C599C!RRZoraSapp_foodfruitbowl_shpe and Filename under Items tab from foodFruitBowl_tslocator_gmnd to RRZoraSapp_tslocator_gmnd. Fix TGI, Commit.
* Changed Geometric Node filename from #0x7F6C599C!foodFruitBowl_tslocator_gmnd to #0x7F6C599C!RRZoraSapp_tslocator_gmnd and filename under cObjectGraphNode from foodFruitBowl_tslocator_gmnd to RRZoraSapp_tslocator_gmnd. Fix TGI, Commit.
* Changed MMAT modelName from foodFruitBowl_cres to RRZoraSapp_cres. I only have one MMAT, don't have any others to change. Commit.
* Tools, Fix Integrity. Saved.
* Reference tab under Geometric Node. Delete reference, bring up listbox, drag/drop GMDC into reference window. Close listbox, Commit.
* Reference tab under Resource Node (CRES). Single reference to Shape. Delete reference, open listbox, drop shape into reference window. Close listbox, Commit.

* I earlier pasted Sapphire into the Shape > Content > Parts Subset name. Original name was foodfruitbowl_fruit.
* Changed subsetName in MMAT from foodfruitbowl_fruit to Sapphire.
* Changed tsDesignModeEnabled subset name from foodfruitbowl_fruit to Sapphire. Save.

... oh, it works now. <3 Seeing how I did the SHPE filename change wrong. I think I may have missed the tsDesignModeEnabled step when I tried last night, too. I need to figure out why it's not regenerating the thumbnails for it though. Deleted the blank images at the end of the object thumbnails package and after loading up the game just now, they're still completely blank. x.X Oh well. Minor setback. I'll figure it out somehow. Thank you for the help!
The ModFather
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 9:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriko
hi, numenor...
this thread is a very good help for us... thank you so much...

but i have trouble with my new sofa... it worked good, but i want to make it "ready"
i followed your steps to make the object ready for recoloring, but it don't work so...
the recolor only shows up in one part of the sofa.... the pillows not, only the couch...
but i've never changed the subtypes in the GMDC and in the shape they are the same...
and it was only one textur for the original object.... and the shadows ofcourse...
*ripping hairs out*
what mistake i made?

Oh, no, don't rip your hairs out! It's not worthwhile...!
What sofa are you re-meshing? It's strange what you say about the recolour not showing for the pillows...
With "couch" you mean the wooden part of the sofa (the frame)? Usually for the sofa/lovesetas/living chairs there are 2 subsets (and two meshes), related to the wooden parts and the fabric parts: the "pillows" that can't be recoloured correspond to one of the two meshes? Or a part of it?

Test Subject
#25 Old 2nd Feb 2005 at 10:13 PM Last edited by chriko : 2nd Feb 2005 at 10:45 PM.
numenor, it was the "sofaumcutout"...
it has no frame or fabric, but two parts in the 3D model...
i think, that must be the mistake... one part i've changed into pillows...

that will be to difficult for me... i think, i have to clone an object with
one part ...
i can regroup the 2 parts of my mesh into one and repeat all steps...

edit
there is no option "frame" or "fabric" when i wish to recolor the original sofa... :confused: ... it looks like one thing- to recolor in one step... :confused:

this is my HP - cu there?
Page 1 of 25