Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 11:09 AM Last edited by Arsil : 22nd Nov 2014 at 4:58 PM.
Default Weird shadow
Hello,
I'm not sure if I've chosen the right section for this thread, it was a close
competition with "Meshing" but at last I decided to put it here. Sorry, TMI.

Please have patience with me, I know nothing about how these things work, I don't
know the right terms (probably even in my own language) and this is not a part of
modding that came easy to me (if that sentence makes any sense).

I have an object that, when outdoors, projects a very long shadow (as time passes it rotates so it's a sunshadow?).

The original object I cloned worked fine, I have no idea what I did to get this result.

Now, looking at the meshes with MilkShape I see this:
- the MODL has only one group so it's fine
- the MLOD has two groups, group00 and group01. I guess group00 is for the shadow.
It's only 4 vertices that form a rectangle. I tried downscaling it and even putting it under
the ground level but I always get the same result. I can't completely remove the group
or I'll get an error from MilkShape (or from S3ObjTool when I recompile it).

How do I fix the shadow or get rid of it ? The object is better suited for indoors, but since
it's pretty tall if placed outdoors it has to have a shadow, so I'd rather fix it than remove it.
Oh, I just checked and it projects no shadow even indoors (this is also an issue I'd like to
fix, but I consider it less important).

To get things more complicated, the object is actually a modular object (like the sleeping bag),
so maybe the shadow of its "alternate" form are getting in the way? (just saying, I have no idea).
But I don't think so, since when the other "mesh" is active it has no shadow at all.

I know I've described the issue very badly, but if someone guides me I'll try to provide
the info required, I'll help you to help me ^^

Since I'm here, I'd also like to ask about the footprint. Why when I place/move the object
the green outline is smaller than the actual shape of the object? I've update the bounding
box coordinates in the VPXY and the coordinates in the FTPT, what I'm doing wrong?
Do the "for placement" footprint's coordinates have to match exactly the tiles size?
(1x1, 2x1, etc are good but not 1.5x1 and such).

Bye,
Arsil.
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 9:04 AM
I guess I'm an idiot. I partially solved it putting back that rectangle at
ground level and enlarging it. I still don't understand how it works but
somehow seems to makes sense even to me. Now I think I just have
to tune its size and position, should I use the "rule" of doubling the
size of the mesh or that is valid only for other kind of shadows
(those that use dedicated MLODs to generate them)?
Test Subject
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 10:04 AM
If you are using TSR workshop you can auto generate the shadow for both HLOD and MLOD and see if that fixes the issue
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 10:10 AM Last edited by Arsil : 23rd Nov 2014 at 10:25 AM.
Thank you for the tip, but unfortunately I can't use that tool.
I think I kinda solved it, the shadow is still not perfect but at
least is not awkward as before. When I'll upload the finished
mod I'll try to ask if someone can fix all shadows for me.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 10:39 AM
That rectangle is the drop shadow. You should make it a little larger than the actual object.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 10:57 AM
Thanks. I did a x2 scaling (x1 being the real mesh): in game looks
good enough, maybe too wide, so I'll keep toying with it a bit more.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 10:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
Since I'm here, I'd also like to ask about the footprint. Why when I place/move the object
the green outline is smaller than the actual shape of the object? I've update the bounding
box coordinates in the VPXY and the coordinates in the FTPT, what I'm doing wrong?

SEE HERE IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM