Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 2:54 AM
Default Alpha for President
Okay random title :P

I'm studying how to exactly add the opacity values for my hair mesh.
So I read that for example, if you have 4 groups, then ''inside of outmost layer hair_alpha3'' ''outside of outmost layer hair_alpha9'' 'Inside of middle layer hair_alpha5'' ''Outside of middle layer hair_alpha7'' and so on.

I just don't understand then, how when I open another persons mesh, they only have the ''Hair_alpha5'' for the inside and ''Hair_alpha7'' for the outside. And I'm talking about LAYERED meshes, like Nouk's Kinky curly with braid.
How exactly does that function, any insight?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 7:05 PM
The names don't particularly matter. It's the opacity value within the Comments that's important. It's just sometimes helpful to call the layer something like "hair_alpha3" if it has an opacity value of 3. It makes it easier to keep track of which layer has which opacity.

For the opacity values themselves, you work from the inside. The head itself usually has an opacity value of -1. Then you go up from there as you work your way outward: 0, 1, 2, etc. You can count any way you like (e.g., 3, 5, 7, etc.), as long as you keep the numbers lower on the inside than on the outside.

EDIT: If your hair mesh is more complicated, though, with inside and outside bits for each layer, then you might have some transparency issues. I ran into this problem with a skirt. You can see the issue here. The solution is in the comments.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
The names don't particularly matter. It's the opacity value within the Comments that's important. It's just sometimes helpful to call the layer something like "hair_alpha3" if it has an opacity value of 3. It makes it easier to keep track of which layer has which opacity.

For the opacity values themselves, you work from the inside. The head itself usually has an opacity value of -1. Then you go up from there as you work your way outward: 0, 1, 2, etc. You can count any way you like (e.g., 3, 5, 7, etc.), as long as you keep the numbers lower on the inside than on the outside.

EDIT: If your hair mesh is more complicated, though, with inside and outside bits for each layer, then you might have some transparency issues. I ran into this problem with a skirt. You can see the issue here. The solution is in the comments.

Ooh okay, yep. (I just didn't understand why other's layered alpha's where combined into one with no transperancy)
So I have 3 layers on top of each other. So the last layer's outside would have (For example) a 7 opacity, the middle outside layer would have about 5, the first (And closest to scalp) would have about 3. Then, the outmost layer's inside would be 2, the middle layer's inside would be 4, and the first (Closest to scalp) would have 6.

Kind of like that?

If that IS correct. Would I also have to do something about the, for example, bangs? Or just make them like the first layer?
Also, I found this witch can help right?
http://modthesims.info/t/414488

Sending my gratitude!