Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 12:13 AM
Default Can i buy disk expansion packs for a digital version off origin
so basically when i bought sims 3 i bought it for mac so at the time it was easiest to buy the game off origin, however now that ive moved to a laptop i could buy disk versions of some of the expansion packs for under £10 witch is much more affordable than origins price of £35. I've tried searching online but I've kinda seem mixed reactions of some people saying it works and some people saying it doesn't. I was wondering if someone with preferably first hand experience could tell me if its possible to do this?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 12:31 AM
I'm a little confused. Is your laptop still a Mac? Or are you just asking whether it's ok to have expansions from different sources? I've got a mix of Origin downloads, physical disks, and Amazon downloads for my Sims 3 expansions, and I haven't had a problem. I'm on Windows, though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndreaJEP
I'm a little confused. Is your laptop still a Mac? Or are you just asking whether it's ok to have expansions from different sources? I've got a mix of Origin downloads, physical disks, and Amazon downloads for my Sims 3 expansions, and I haven't had a problem. I'm on Windows, though.
I'm on windows. Also due to money reasons im considering buying second hand, would you recommend risking it?/buying instant assess with only 3 reviews?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 1:00 AM
By "instant access" do you mean an Amazon download? Mine works just fine, though I don't know anything about the long-term implications of having access to that expansion if Amazon ever decided to start revoking licenses like they did with some ebooks a while back. I would not personally buy a second hand disk since I wouldn't know until I received it what shape it is in, but that's just me. I don't know what would happen if the previous owner had registered their game and then you tried to install it.

But...to answer the original question, yes, having mixed sources works just fine. The expansions you don't get from Origin, the client will think you don't have, but that hasn't affected gameplay for me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 1:10 AM
By "instant access" do you mean an Amazon download? Mine works just fine, though I don't know anything about the long-term implications of having access to that expansion if Amazon ever decided to start revoking licenses like they did with some ebooks a while back. I would not personally buy a second hand disk since I wouldn't know until I received it what shape it is in, but that's just me. I don't know what would happen if the previous owner had registered their game and then you tried to install it.

But...to answer the original question, yes, having mixed sources works just fine. The expansions you don't get from Origin, the client will think you don't have, but that hasn't affected gameplay for me.
ok thanks, i spoke to the people from amazon and they said they could refund if it was dodgy, however i now have a third question (sorry). The item says windows 7/vista/xp and i have windows 10, while i assume it should work i would like a second opinion just to be sure
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 1:35 AM
I have Windows 10. As long as you moved your documents game folder out of OneDrive and put it in Documents where it belongs, you should be fine.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 1:43 AM
I have Windows 10. As long as you moved your documents game folder out of OneDrive and put it in Documents where it belongs, you should be fine.
thank you so much for your help, im downloading an expansion pack now and i managed to save over £10 by not buying through origin