Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 7:14 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Too much entries in a text list?
Hi,
I've got a some questions: Is there a limit of entries a text list can contain? I merged some name packages - and add some myself - and now the last name text list contains over 56.000 entries. But now, newly generated sims don't have surnames. I read, there is a "magical" number - something like 32.000 and a few - which causes errors in the game like getting negative amounts of simeleons etc. Should I reduce the entries in the file to this number or doesn't it have anything to do with this error? Could a package contain more than one item of the same instance and resource and use them all without any problems?

P.S.: if you ask yourself, why do I need so many names: I merged the name replacements mods before without adding more names, but even then the game generates sims with identical names. So, yeah, I overdone it a bit.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 8:16 PM
The limit may be 0x7FFF = 32767. That would assume that each reference to the text list is a WORD and that the top bit of the WORD is used as a flag. That would match the numbering system used for the text lists for family names and lot names in the neighborhood package. The flag determines whether the reference is a family name or lot name.

The only way to know for sure is to find all references to the text list in question and see how much space is allowed for the reference. You might need access to the game's source code to check this; of course, we don't have access. However, all you need is one reference which is limited to 32767 and you know that there's a limit.

Yes, a package can contain two entries with the same TGI. No, the game cannot use both entries.

Try removing all of the duplicates and truncating any over 32767. If the last names come back, then you've found the problem.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 8:50 PM
Thank you for your answers, Mootilda.
I guess I have to reduce the amount of names.
I will share my results afterwards in case others want to try this.
Site Helper
#4 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 9:00 PM
Sorry, that I don't know for sure whether there's a limit, but it seems likely.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Dec 2013 at 10:25 PM
No big deal.
The limit counts for text lists, too, I found out.

Thanks, all questions are answered.
Locked thread | Locked by: julianarosalia Reason: Answered