Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Baron Obvious
Wow, that's a really good Goth family. Nice job!
I still need to start work on the Brokes.

I'm also thinking of re-making some of the townies, too. I'm gonna start with Meadow Thayer, and will take a whack at Goopy GilsCarbo afterward (y'know, since he appears in every instance of Pleasantview you create and everybody knows his bad genetics).

thanks, i just did their everyday outfits cause i was running short on time but i will do thier other outfits later

Trying to think of something to upload.....
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 7:48 AM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 23rd Feb 2010 at 6:03 AM. Reason: adding something so as not to double-post
Quote: Originally posted by KyleTheArtist
I think the twins need to have longer faces.

Gee, I wonder if any one will remake Veronaville XD

I agree. Although when I went into CAS to make that change, it didn't make much of a difference. And the difference might adversely affect their genes too, since in order to make any significance in face length, I had to bring down the Face Height slider all the way to the bottom (from the default middle position) and the chin height to about halfway to the bottom from default. Making that adjustment might make their children have strange looking, low faces, depending on who they reproduce with. They might. I haven't exactly tested this.

I try to make my re-creations as close to the source material as I can, but I also acknowledge that they'll never be exactly right, since there's a big difference in visual style and sim creation between TS2 and TS3.

Oh, and are there any tutorials on how to convert TS2 hairstyles to TS3? I have no idea how, and there are TS2 hair styles I want to use that don't have any equivalents in TS3. The Pleasant twins' hair, for example.

EDIT: Uh nevermind, I just looked it up and I have no idea what I'm doing in that department... ugh why can't there just be an easy drag-and-drop converter tool for TS2-TS3 stuff?
Forum Resident
#28 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 1:01 AM
Just wanted to say sorry for the delay of the new pics or progress from the neighborhood...
I had a very busy month and i hope to get the pics posted this weekend...
I would love to see your progress too Baron Obvous

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 1:28 AM
I haven't had much progress in the neighborhood itself, since I want to add all of the lots, but I don't know what sizes to make each lot. I tried making a lot for the Pleasant house, but when I placed the house on the lot, it placed it in the middle of the lot, and there seems to be no way (that I can find) to re-size lots.

Since my last update (the Pleasant family), I've got the Broke family finished, and I'm in the middle of working on Darren Dreamer. I don't think they're turning out quite right though. I'll be posting pics with comparison shots soon.

If anyone thinks they can do better, go right ahead! All of my characters are saved in CAS, not the neighborhood, so I'll provide the .sim files to anybody who wants to work on the characters with my attempts as a base.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 12:20 PM
No need to be rude, you know. I didn't know how to accurately gauge the size of lots until just now after looking a little harder. I'm still not completely acquainted with the world editor yet, so give me a break.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#31 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 12:43 PM
Baron Obvious - When you're in CAW, if you look at the very bottom right corner of the CAW window when dragging out a lot, you can see the size it'll be. You can't resize a lot once placed, but you can take the guesswork out that way.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 1:57 PM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 25th Feb 2010 at 3:02 PM. Reason: Kept finding lots that I thought were missing
Thank you, I found that out shortly after reading Claeric's post. And because of that, I've got most of the lots laid out now. There's still some more I need to do though.

Once I've laid out all of the lots and placed their proper buildings on them, I'll save a copy as "Pleasantview Classic", and continue work on a Plus version where I get to be creative and add new lots and content.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 1st Mar 2010 at 5:38 AM. Reason: Adding images
Update: Probably not going to release a "classic" version like I initially planned, since it wouldn't be a fully functional town due to the lack of all of the rabbitholes and stuff, so I'm just going to keep working on the fully Sims 3 functional version. In addition to the required lots, there are new lots in different various locations. Of course I've added all of the necessary rabbitholes, and I'm also going to place some fishing spots, spawners, and some extra visual enhancements in and around the town. For example I've added sidewalks in the middle of some of the residential blocks, one of which has a pair of small playground lots, and a little pond for fishing.

Screenshots are big, so I linked them rather than embedding. All shots are taken from within CAW. All of the trees have been removed for landscaping purposes.

Pleasantview, whole town
Community and business. The corporate tower doesn't show up in CAW for some reason.
A shot of the residential area
Zoom shot of a playground that I added between some houses
Pleasantview Beach
Science Center (far end of town, past the bridge)
Scholar
#34 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 5:27 AM
Baron Obvious -
Love the squiggly sidewalks and playground! Do you have room to add more empty residential lots in between some of the existing lots? It would help with future expandability. Great work!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 5:53 AM
I definitely plan on adding more lots before releasing.

Oh, and this is a question for everybody - How important is camera routing to you? I want to know because I'm having a hard time with the camera routing. Every time i re-do the routing, I can still make the camera see off of the map edges when I go to in-game editing. Sim routing is fine though, nobody's gonna be going places they shouldn't be.

Personally, seeing the edges of the map has never bothered me. I used camera mods in TS2 all the time, so I'm used to seeing the edges of Pleasantview, but I know that not everyone shares this opinion with me.
Forum Resident
#36 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 11:21 AM Last edited by Hraklis943 : 1st Mar 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Looking Nice...
Although i thought you were working on the Sims because im working on the Neighborhood...and thats why i dont want my lots to be used for another remake as im working on it
You can make you version too of course but as for the lots i dont want them to be used

Check my tumblr:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 4:43 PM
I was going to work on sims, and I still am, but I got inspired to work on the town again and I just got carried away.

And I didn't know you didn't want your lots being used on another project. I understand, though, and I'll bulldoze the lots for the release version. I'll still keep them up during town building though, since i need them for reference.

Can I still use the same lot sizes though, for compatibility with your lots? So if people were to want to use my town, but your lots, then they can if they want to. Even if I were to make my own versions of the original lots, they could be made with the same size, so if someone doesn't like one person's version, they can switch to the other harmlessly, regardless whose town they're using.
Forum Resident
#38 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Baron Obvious
I was going to work on sims, and I still am, but I got inspired to work on the town again and I just got carried away.

And I didn't know you didn't want your lots being used on another project. I understand, though, and I'll bulldoze the lots for the release version. I'll still keep them up during town building though, since i need them for reference.

Can I still use the same lot sizes though, for compatibility with your lots? So if people were to want to use my town, but your lots, then they can if they want to. Even if I were to make my own versions of the original lots, they could be made with the same size, so if someone doesn't like one person's version, they can switch to the other harmlessly, regardless whose town they're using.

Ok there is no problem with that you can use them as reference i got many requests for the lots but i had to say no because of the project so i hope you dont mind
Hraklis

Check my tumblr:
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 6:40 PM
Baron, I don't mind seeing the edges but here is something that might help you with the no-camera routing. When I first used it, I thought that the camera would stop at the edge of the colored area (non-routed area) but that is not how it works. The camera will go to the middle of the colored area. So you actually need to paint further in to not see the edges of the world. This means a large part of your world is only for scenery so if its important to you, then use it. Otherwise, its not worth the effort to be honest.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 5:55 AM
Thanks for your input, though I'd like to see what other people think, too.

Anyway, comparison shots for the Pleasant family are available.

I've made facial tweaks to all four members of the family.
I've changed up the twins' look a little bit, and while I think they were good before, I think they're a little more accurate now.

As for Mary-Sue and Daniel, Mary-Sue looks a lot better to me (switched her age group to Young Adult, and made adjustments to her eyes, nose, and face height). Daniel still doesn't sit right with me. I think its the facial hair, really. His beard style doesn't have a suitable replacement in TS3, it seems. I think his eyes feel off too, but I'm not sure what to do with them.

I dunno about everyone else, but I find that not every character makes for an easy translation from one visual style to the other.
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sikebg8
I actually gave the twins ago, a while back without knowing this project was going on.
My twins are young adults and found their noses the most troubling bit

Angela and Lilith look beautiful! Good job. You really captured their spirit.
Test Subject
#42 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 3:56 AM
Wow, this looks amazing. I've been waiting for a CAW neighborhood for Pleasantview and nice to see someone is working on it.

The Pleasant family looks great. I'm not sure you could get Daniel any closer than you got. It works for me!

Scholar
#43 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 4:03 AM
Very nice work! I think for the twins, if you move the eyes farther apart and widen the nose bridge, then pull the nose tip down just a little, they will be great. Mary-Sue's eyes need to be more level across. (She looks slightly asian now. Is she supposed to?) Daniel looks fabulous!
Theorist
#44 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 4:09 AM
Both Daniel and Mary Sue should be adults, they were very close to being Elders in TS2

How do you figure the twins to be young adults?

-Both twins eyes are way way too big!
-Daniel needs darker brown red hair
-Mary Sue needs a yellower skintone
-Tone down L/A's green eyes, their too bright
-Mary Sues chin needs to be higher
-What's going on with the twins mouth on the top? It's pointing in a V way, look at the comparisons and you'll see
- Angela needs wider lips
-Mary Sue needs less wide lips
-Both twins need bigger less defined nostrils
-Daniel needs more of a tan

Hi I'm Paul!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 6:26 PM
SimmyRN: I always thought she looked somewhat Asian to me even in TS2, although it does make one wonder why the twins don't look remotely Asian (I guess Daniel just has stronger genes?). I don't mind an Asian look. Thanks for the suggestions, too!

Robodl95: Thanks for all of those suggestions, I'll work on them and see how they turn out!
-I didn't make my twins young adults, that would be sikebg8's versions. Mine are teens.

-That little V on the twins' lips, I have no idea how to fix that without changing the shape of their lips completely. It kinda bugs me too, but I think its something wrong with CAS, and not my doing. There's no slider to raise or lower the middle of the lip, so until one comes up in CC or an expansion pack, that V is going to be there. I was able to tone it down a bit but the V is still there.

-I don't think Angela's lips need to be any different from Lilith's, but that's just me. As far as I can see, they're identical twins, and if you were to give them both the same makeup their lips would look exactly the same. That's what I think though, take it however.
Theorist
#46 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 6:33 PM
Their lips are slightly different.....

I have no idea about that V thing, have you tried every lip slider? What about mouth definition?

Hi I'm Paul!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#47 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 7:17 PM
Mouth definition raises/lowers the entire middle area, not just point on the V. Using the different Upper Lip sliders, though, I've been able to tone it down, but I can't get rid of the V completely.

I just booted up TS2 to check the twins' lips. I tested them by removing both their lipsticks, and giving them both black lipstick. They're completely identical.

Oh, and here are the changes I made. I didn't change both twins, just Lilith, but I'll apply Lilith's changes to Angela too, if they're satisfactory.
Theorist
#48 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 7:59 PM
Guess it's an optical illusion XD

Hi I'm Paul!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 8:42 PM
So any comment on the changes I made?
Test Subject
#50 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 12:16 AM
I think they look terrific. That's just my opinion.

Locked thread
Page 2 of 8