Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 6:50 PM
Default Replacing bump map messes up my recolors
I was taking pics to upload an age conversion of a dress, when I noticed the toddler age had the bump map of whatever outfit I cloned the item from. So I went into SimPE to fix it and noticed the child age, though not really visible at all in my pictures, also had a bumpmap. So I replaced them all. I popped the "fixed" files into my game an now it won't show up right. The texture is all blurry, and all the thumbnail images looked almost blacked out, but only where the dress is. Anything else (such as the sim's head) is fine and looks normal. Here's a pic to show what I mean. The image on the left was taken before I fiddled in SimPE and on the right is after:

What I did: opened the normalmap txtr resource, right clicked on the image, selected "Build DXT", chose my flat gray normal image (its a .PNG), set it to DXT1 with "none" selected in the drop down, hit build, committed and saved.

That is what I'm supposed to do, right? 'Cause every time I try to edit a bump map in SimPE this happens. I usually just end up creating a new project in Bodyshop and making sure the bumpmap gets changed there. I'd like to be able to skip that step and work with the packages I've already made. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 8:54 PM
Try setting it to DXT3 instead of DXT1. I'm not sure if that will help, but it's worth a try.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 9:33 PM
Bump maps need to be set to "Raw8bit" in the dropdown on the left.

There's more info about bumps in Pixelhate's tut here (part 5) -

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=316260
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 2:59 AM Last edited by VioletPadfoot : 28th Aug 2013 at 6:11 AM.
fakepeeps7: I did try that after I posted. Definitely didn't help.

Slig: Thank you for linking me. I KNEW I lost some important tutorials when my computer died, I just couldn't remember all of them. ~VP

Later Edit: I rebuilt the bumpmaps as DXT5 then changed them to Raw8Bit (and committed and saved), but they're STILL all blurry and gray in the game. Tried deleting the cache files just in case, but no change. I think I'm just going to have to create new bodyshop projects. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 11:09 AM
open the outfit with SimPE and delete the normalmap reference line under:
TXMT(material defination)/NAME/GENERIC RCOL EDITOR/properties tab.
Dont forget to click commit.
Make sure you are in plugin view.

To make things perfect:
Delete the bump map reference in the filelist aswell.
You can delete the TXTR normalmap to save space.