Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#26 Old 22nd Jun 2010 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
For performance reasons, showing a huuuuuuuuge list of people is not gonna happen again, but we've got some ideas for still showing non-creators in some performance-limited fashion. But it does require Delphy to code it so it might be a few days before it's added. Just be patient, ya'll, but we are listening.

"HP" that sound great that Delphy may be working on a way to code for the non- creators to be added, after all some of us did come here to MTS as non- creators before we was encourage to become a creators. Non-creators have also play their part here on MTS as well with donations and adding to the sims community with their comments etc. So if you all have some ideas as to how to do so without the huge list that will be a good thing. Patient is a virtue and needed

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 22nd Jun 2010 at 8:33 PM
Ok, so the friends of the friendless is far more widespread than that group's membership suggests.

The friends tab could be zapped altogether because,

1a: If Delphy only has 1 friend thank him out of his 2000+ , and a mod at that...not a good indication of what "friend" actually means.

1b :A friend is someone you trust and not someone to judge whether it, she, he, hell almighty, pressed a thanks button.

Staff and Cup winners could actually feature in the same tab. All the" uploading" moderators have had at least one cup each and those that are creative and helpful in other fields have their usernames in a totally different colour to the rest of us. If you feel this tab is absolutely necessary. Personally I do not like being highlighted in a thanks tab. If I am thanking a particular download it is as a player and as such my opinion counts no more than any other member's so it makes me uncomfortable. You could add members with picked uploads too.

I don't really like this tier system so I am trying to find ways to accept it if it helps the site.

Most of us started as non creators. I know many really good "downloaders" with useful opinions and useful help. Some creators are and always will be total crap. Where do you draw the line????
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#28 Old 22nd Jun 2010 at 9:04 PM Last edited by Delphy : 22nd Jun 2010 at 9:15 PM.
buggybooz: Sorry but no, Friends tab isn't gonna be zapped. The reason is that actually hardly anybody actually used the friends list - and I want to start promoting usage of this list, hence why the addition of features that encourage people to use it. As a creator, though, when you look at your own downloads and look at who thanked who, what do you look for? I'm pretty sure you only look for specific people or specific groups of people, hence why the grouping makes sense. Remember that this is for creators to look at. It's not about you as a downloader.

As for "helping the site" - no offense, but thats not really up to you to decide. Most people here in this thread like the changes, and yes, there will be some naysayers, but on the whole, I'm basically just echoing what a lot of creators where looking at in the first place, without having to trawl through a whole list of same-coloured names just to see if certain people thanked a download.

Can I suggest instead of being negative about this, you actually think and understand the reasons behind it, and realise that, while I do take suggestions and feedback into account (hence adding back in the ability to view normal members), I wont always just allow people to go back to the old ways of doing things if I and the staff feel they are not in the best direction for the site to go.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#29 Old 22nd Jun 2010 at 9:05 PM
In other news, I have updated the first post, to contain information about getting the list of regular members, which is now live on www.

Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#30 Old 22nd Jun 2010 at 11:26 PM
Yay! Thank you for adding back the regular members, Delphy. It works great and pages with lotsa thanks do load much faster now. I love it!

(that friends list bug is also fixed now.... thanks and sorry for wandering off while you were working on it, hehe oops)
Scholar
#31 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 12:01 AM
Thanks, Delphy! I think this makes everyone happy now.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Scholar
#32 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 12:17 AM
Thank you. This I like.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#33 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 12:52 AM
As a Turtle I must say this is just a "PERFECT" setup now Delphy. Thank you here a "Bitter" for you with just a drop of turtle juice in it.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Theorist
#34 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
In other news, I have updated the first post, to contain information about getting the list of regular members, which is now live on www.

What a great compromise--the best of both systems. Nicely done.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 7:24 AM
Thank you Delphy, now it is perfect in my opinion
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#36 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 7:35 AM
...The reason is that actually hardly anybody actually used the friends list - and I want to start promoting usage of this list, hence why the addition of features that encourage people to use it. ...

May I ask what purpose the Friends List has? Does it offer special notifications? I suppose ignorance could be a factor. I can't find where it was first introduced.

By the way, I like the new features (and the compromise).

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#37 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 9:03 AM
vBulletin has always had a concept of a "Buddy List", but previously I'd not found good reasons to use it, so it tended to be underused. However, I have some ideas to extend the "Friends" functionality to actually be mutual friends (ie adding somebody sends a friend request to them, and you aren't friends till they accept). Right now, though, it's an interim solution where it's the Buddy List, but just renamed to Friends.

Instructor
#38 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 9:42 AM
Thankyou for the changes Delphy (and no more nay-saying from me).

Here, for all your hardwork
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#39 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 9:44 PM
I like the new version better too. I also look forward to things to encourage friend list usage.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#40 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 4:19 PM
Love the idea behind this feature D, kudos. I did find a bug in it for you though. When looking at my normal members list for my West Weasels download, CatOfEvilGenius appears in that list. She is not in any of the other categories, including creators. See pic (image edited for length). Would this have something to do with her being a Site Helper?

Nitpicky stuff, why is the Featured category before Staff? I was expecting to see more Ranchies in that tab, but then I found that they were in the next tab over because they were also staff. My tabs don't have a Friend tab, is this because I don't have Friends?

All in all, I think this is a huge improvement over the giant list system that we had. I only ever looked at it to find names I recognized or to see how many orange or green names were among the list of unknowns, it was a word search for me at best. This is much nicer and faster, both for the computers and me. Thanks!
Screenshots
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#41 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 5:04 PM
Its a neat system - I like the tab views. I also like that we can see the "ordinary" members too; on my threads I have a few faithful downloaders who I have not added as friends (seemed a bit presumptuous since I don't really know them), and I like to see that they have thanked my thread.

Very good improvement to the site - and I am now very curious about what you will be doing with the friends list.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#42 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 10:59 PM
Phae: You don't have any friends who thanked that thread, so no friends tab shows up. As for Coeg, yes, it's becuase of the site helper thing.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#43 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 11:29 PM
Before the ability to see the rest of the members was added, I could see the other tabs. Now the only tab I see is Members?
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#44 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 11:44 PM
Just found Sophie-David on one of my members lists as well, he is a creator but I don't think he is a site helper. Any idea for that? This is so fun to look at now, I never really realized that I have people who consistently thank me.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#45 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 10:00 AM
mustluvcatz: What browser and screen resolution are you using?

Mad Poster
#46 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 11:30 AM
I'm having the same issue as mustluvcatz - when you first created the tabbed version of the Thanks list, I could see all of them (Moderators, Featured Creators, Creators), but when you added the 'Members' tab, the mods/creators tabs all disappeared and all I can see now is the Members tab, and when clicking to see the full list, I only see the non-creator members listed. I'm using a screen resolution of 1024x768 and Firefox 3.6.4.
Test Subject
#47 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 3:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kopple36
I really like the new filtering for thank lists. It's good to know what kind of people on MTS have been thanking you, plus, I love the new filtering design! :D

yeah :D
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#48 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 4:02 PM
Delphy- FF 3.6.4 and 800x600. If the resolution needs changed, I'll change it. I had to wipe the hd and reinstall everything and haven't gotten all the settings the way I had them yet.
Test Subject
#49 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 6:35 PM
Default The new filters are increasing queries in other sections
Today I released a set of changes designed to do 2 things:

1. Cut down on the number of database queries, and above all, page generation time, when a creator views threads of thiers that have a lot of thanks (many hundreds or thousands)

The queries have been doubled or tripled for download searches due to the (similar) updated filter implementation. Basically, when you type in a search option, all of the downloads are shown, but (in Firefox/XP) when you use the new filter to select featured or picked downloads, then the entire search is reset and you have to enter the search again and then narrow it down through clicking links. I'm assuming that this is due to wonky Ajax and not through design intent, but the usability which made downloads here awesome has plummeted with the recent update and requires needless multiple queries to the database. In regards to the new filter design, to be honest, the downloads side panel was more useable as it grouped similar functions in one place, and as Ajax could have been applied to the form, I don't see what the point was of the partial and now functionally wonky design change (since the side panel is still there to filter sims 2/3 downloads and to search).

Despite this gripe (which I hope that you will resolve soon if your goal is to decrease DB queries), I must give you heartfelt thanks for your efforts, for MTS, and for all you guys do for the sims community.

MTS an invaluable resource and in my opinion has far superior content and a far superior community than a certain popular paid alternative. Thank you.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#50 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 6:37 PM
800x600? Holy heck. I don't support resolutions that low.

EsmeraldaF: I just tried in 1024x600 and I see the tabs on 2 rows, with Members as the first on the second row. I'll see if I can play with the padding etc to get it all on one row at lower resolutions.

Page 2 of 4