Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Dec 2010 at 10:33 PM
Default Kitchen problems!
Yes, it's not about cooking but about problems with counters and cabinets creations for Sims 3. I'm working with stuff from the 50's and have some problems:

1. It differs greatly in the colors and shading of the various modules, as shown in (See pic Collection). I have checked and it is absolutely the same tones on the surfaces of the multipliers and specular-textures. Although, the surfaces are nott good in the game. What could this be?

2. So my biggest problem - the corners. I have done all three modules, base unit, top plane and the corner piece. They look great individually.
When I put out the counters are not the corner piece well. It seems to snap back to the clone module. Either it will be the clone module multiplier, while retaining the mesh or it will be quite the clone module. See Figure 2 and 3.

I have worked on this problem for days and has now reached its limits. Is there any good tutorial out there or any other tips?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 6:52 PM
Are you using TSRW or s3oc? I know the toolset by Peter was fixed for modular counters but I cannot say if TSRW was and this kinda looks like the old issue modular counters had. It looks like your corner counter is referencing the original texture for the corner and not the one in your package. Take a look in your materials list for the corner and make sure that it is referencing your dds files included in the package rather than the original.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=377737 - Closest example I could think of of where to find it.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 7:52 PM
Make sure you have the latest version of whatever tools you are using, we fixed ours ages ago, and I think Workshop has been fixed too, more recently.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 8:37 PM
Thank you...

I have spent many hours examining these files and tried to fix the error with these files but failed miserably. I can not teach me how the files and the textures are linked to each other. But the right texture appears to be linked to the object in all cases as seen in Figure 2. If I choose the design tool to enter the CAS you can see that the corner piece is entitled the correct mesh and texture. When I click on the icon up there to the left, the corner piece get the right look as shown in Figure 3.
I can live with it but wonder if it is appropriate to share this item when it is behaving like this?

PS I'm using the latest tools (I think)
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#5 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 9:48 PM
Ah, I see what it is doing. I've been working on removing stencils from the EA counters and my overrides are doing EXACTLY that! They think the default texture is custom and are not choosing the first preset, but when you CAST them they are fine. What happens if you clone a corner? Does it retain its preset? Did you ever change the order or remove presets? I'm wondering if removing the first preset would make the game be confused as to which preset should then be first. I think in the objd / Materials / Unknown3 is the preset order. I can take a look if you want to attach the files, not sure I can spot the issue, but I'd be happy to take a look at it.
#6 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 10:17 PM
In order to have the corner behaving correctly it is important to clone them as a modular set and retain the xmls that were part of the package S3OC made. Dunno how to advise on this matter for WS.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 9:31 AM
If an object's texture turns out to be right after being casted then this indicates that the game still uses the old composed texture. You therefore might want to try to delete compositorCache.package in My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 to see if that helps.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 12:05 PM
teko...
Thanks for your tips but that doesn't help me. I always clear the cach when installing new items.
So I keep struggling with these ¤&¤&¤&%¤)/()!!! counters!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#9 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 2:58 PM
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 4:52 PM
I have uploaded the file to mediafire and sent you a PM with the address. I do not know how to attach files to the PM's. It is a package file, the same that I use in the game.

It works fine until I use the corners. Then it return back to the cloned object's textures.

I have a couple other items that are cloned from modular objects, such as cabinets. They also seem to lose the textures sometimes.

It's easy to fix this problem, I just pick the edit tool and go into CAS and change little and then get the correct textures.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 9:09 PM
How can I add a layer?

I notice that I don.t have a overlay layer at the corner piece when I check the package in s2pe. Is it possible to add one?
The original cloned object have none but my new one must have it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 10:35 PM Last edited by Lisen801 : 30th Dec 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Well now I have worked with the counters for many, many hours but still no solution. I can't understand why the cornerpiece take the texture from the cloned object. For me it's easy to fix it's only to pick the edit tool en klick on it and then choose the right color.

But - can I share something like this when it's not perfect?

I was thinking of sharing a set with all this, refigerator, stove, sink, cabinets, platerack, etc...

Btw, I can't find an english word for the rack with small glass drawers under the cabinet for spices, sugar, flour, etc... Almost every kitchen have something like that in the 50's here in Sweden.

First I cloned cabinets for that thing and the cabinet but I don't want it behaving as a cabinet so they are cloned from the medical cabinet etc..
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#13 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 11:01 PM
I have been looking at the files and not finding how to fix it. Maybe try cloning it in S3OC first, and then importing your package into tsrw to make your mesh changes and textures changes?
Inventor
#14 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 2:29 PM
I know I had seen something like this about kitchen counter corners before, and looked it up.

Its here, with an answer from Srikandi
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=368623

Srikandi :
I did some counter recolors, and I found that when cloning I had to uncheck "default resources only" in the cloner's options to make the "variant" versions appear correctly. There's something in the non-default resources that makes the whole thing work; I'm still not sure exactly what it is

Maybe this still is true?
#15 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
Maybe this still is true?

Should only be the case in the older versions of s3oc. That's why I asked if the OP had all the latest.

However, it is worth a try, and if the *newest* version still requires the default only unchecked, then we need to make a further adjustment.

Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 5:36 PM
I do uncheck the "default resources only"...

Can the problem be something with the overlays? I use three color channels for the top, base and doors and an overlay for the trims and handles in teak. I can't find the overlay IMG for the corner...
#17 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 7:20 PM
Well I am still not entirely sure if you cloned these with S3OC anyway?

Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 5:53 AM Last edited by Lisen801 : 2nd Jan 2011 at 6:48 AM.
Inge...
I use both TSRW and S3OC to clone this counter, the country counter.
I've edit all the IMG files I can find in s3pe, (not the dirty states yet). There's also some material images I don't edit.

I also edit the twelve MLOD/MODL. There's a MDLR file I don't know what it is?

Btw, I think I'm not the only person with problem counters, EA have also problem with one counter. The only difference is that my counter corner could be edit, EA's are not editable!

I also found that EA have problems with some counter shadows.
Screenshots
#19 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 10:02 AM
It's a known bug ticket that TSRW creates broken corner counters. It's best to clone the counter with S3OC from the modular menu. If you import to TSRW, and use the entire package exported from there, it will likely be broken. You need to only reimport the MODLs and MLODs. Do not use the Import from package on the project creation menu. First create a dummy project, delete everything from the Project COntents list, and import the package directly into that.

Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 11:09 PM
Inge...

You are really marvelleous! I followed your instructions and you know what? It works!!!!
I can't thank you enough I was really close to skip the project and quit playing and creating for the Sims.
You know I like meshing and texturing but all those numbers etc just makes me frustated. I'm really no programmer and will never be.
It's so great with people like you!

PS
Happy New Year
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#21 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 3:02 AM
@Inge or @Lisen - so clone the object using S3OC, delete evything from the package except the meshes, then make my changes to the meshes. Then with Tsrw clone a cabinet, delete everything from package contents, import my changed meshes then add my textures?