Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 7:37 PM
Default Programs that can sort Sims 3 .Package files and Sims 4 .Package files?
Hello fellow simmers

I'm trying to locate if there is Sims 4 content in my Sims 3 game.

I know about Dashboard (Dashboard is behaving erratically, as the last time I had Sims 4 content) and Custard. I tried to use Sims 4 Mod Manager. (Didn't work for this purpose)

I had to re-build all my cc- and even though, I was careful, I think I've got some Sims 4 .Package files in my downloads. I have no idea where to even start! I spent about 2 weeks finding and re-downloading and updating my cc with the things I had lost. (and then some naturally) I have around 8,000 downloads :O I have converted most of them into .package files (minus the ones I had previously bought from the store) I had planned to condense them all into one using Sims3Pe, so I didn't worry about how many I downloaded.. not even a little bit.

I haven't run my game yet with all these downloads, and I probably won't like what happens if I do.

Is there any other option THAN the 50/50 method? Any programs that came out I'm not aware of? Any programs for Sims 4 that detects Sims 3 content... that I could use in reverse? Anything? I'm desperate here!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 7:45 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Apr 2018 at 8:01 PM.
I'm not updated on the latest TS3/TS4 tools, but whenever I'm unsure I open up the file in either S4Studio (TS4 files) or TSRW (TS3+TS4, but choosing the TS4 option causes errors on TS3 files, and vice versa). If the program comes up with an error, it's not the proper package file. I usually test the file in the other program just to be sure. You can use SimPE for checking TS2 files. You can also drag-and-drop files into S3PE/S4PE/SimPE, where error means wrong game.

I do a lot of 3t2/4t2 conversions, and don't have a lot of DL content in my 3/4 games, so this method works fine for me. It's a time consuming method, though, so hopefully for you there's another way.

Most often, if the file can't be read by the game, it will be ignored. The worst you can get is errors and/or a crash, and most often the game will work fine when you sort out the problem. If you do a backup of your saved games (the whole TS4 folder in Documents), you should be safe.

8000 files really isn't a lot (Try 35 GB... I've done that), so you should be able to do a thorough 50/50 sesarch in a few hours if you have some indication of what's wrong. Checking individual files probably takes longer, but there are probably files you're sure are TS4 files, so you can skip checking those.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You can use SimPE for checking TS2 files. You can also drag-and-drop files into S3PE/S4PE/SimPE, where error means wrong game.

Most often, if the file can't be read by the game, it will be ignored. The worst you can get is errors and/or a crash, and most often the game will work fine when you sort out the problem. If you do a backup of your saved games (the whole TS4 folder in Documents), you should be safe.

8000 files really isn't a lot (Try 35 GB... I've done that), so you should be able to do a thorough 50/50 sesarch in a few hours if you have some indication of what's wrong. Checking individual files probably takes longer, but there are probably files you're sure are TS4 files, so you can skip checking those.

LOL. 35GB :O I know I had much more before I lost it all. It was around 20 -22GB... but I figure those 8,000 are a good start, and pretty impressive for just a couple weeks! I found that when Dashboard errors on a file, it pops one up at the bottom. I think those are the ones I'm going to start with.. drop and plop like you suggested in S3pe. Tbh- I have never learned how to use that program to its maximum use sadly.

Thank you for your reply! At least its something other than the 50/50 method. Although, I think that might even be faster at this point. Means I've got to identify a problem with my game though... (sigh) Maybe I'll just try and boot it up.. see what happens.

Thanks again!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 9:57 PM
Well. NOW. I can't get ANY cc to show up in game. (sigh)

I'm sure there's a step I've missed somewhere..

This is just so frustrating..
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 4:52 PM
You can use the MCD, it's for TS4 but I use for TS3 too, then you can find if there are some TS4 cc.