Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2007 at 10:57 PM
First of thanks to this site and all the amazing people who make all these awesome tutorials.
I really hope what I am about to ask has not been answered already a half dozen times but since I could not find anything on it I am posting my question. I am making a new bird object from the maxis parrot and everything has gone really well so far except for an oddity with the wings. After exporting the original bird mesh and modifying it then importing back into game the wings of my bird appear deformed...upside down to be more exact. In order to be sure that it was not something I was doing inadvertantly to the mesh while modifying it I cloned another bird exported it into milkshape and then without making any changes at all exported it back out and then brought it back into the game. That completely unaltered bird(besides of course the new GUID and such) still had the wierd upside down wing problem. I am really new to all this and have no idea how to make the wings show up properly in game. the mesh looks fine in milkshape and it even looks okay in the preview screen of SimPE after re-imprting it. I heard somewhere that unimesh is supposed to have some function to help with similar things but I just dont know..can anyone help?
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 16th May 2007 at 4:56 AM
Just posting to say that I split your post away from the object tutorial thread because it wasn't really related to the actual tutorial and you'll be more likely to get an answer in a separate thread .
Scholar
#3 Old 16th May 2007 at 12:55 PM
I was going to clone the parrot mesh to take a look, but I can't find it...

So this is just a guess, but well worth a try.

Try using UniMesh instaed of any of the built-in export/import options in SimPE.

I would suspect that the parrot's wings use multiple joint assignments, just like body meshes do. If those get lost, the mesh will become distorted.

None of the export/import options in SimPE support those in a way that is compatable with MilkShape, so UniMesh is the best way to go.
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 16th May 2007 at 2:02 PM
Dr Pixel, the bird can be found in the Unknown category in OW
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th May 2007 at 2:41 PM Last edited by wiccadwitch : 16th May 2007 at 9:22 PM.
Thank you Dr Pixel your explanation is more or less what Klinney told me was likely the problem. Which tutorial should I look in for an explanation of how to use unimesh to fix my problem? I have browsed a few tutorials but haven't found anything yet. I have the unimesh plugin for milkshape that is what I will need correct? I mean there isn't some other unimesh of which I am unaware right?

Also I do have a screenie of the bird and how the wings look if that would help I can post it.

Okay I posted a few pics to show whats happening. The first two are my birds most recent incarnation, the third is what it looked like the previous time I put it in game. So umm is it just me or does the current bird look like the wings are actually right side up now? I made some more changes to the mesh and re-imported it so could that have literally fixed it? The only thing I am seeing with the wings currently is it looks like they are sticking out further from the body than they should which is easily explained by the fact that I thinned out the body a bit.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 8:54 PM
okay well I ran into a problem where my pet was crashing the game when my sim tried to stock the cage but I fixed that(thanks Klinney!). However now I am kinda stuck on creating my pets texture/color. I can't seem to find the tutorial that best describes the process and my first attempt at a texture may have been at least partly responsible for the crashing issue. If someone could point me in the direction of the best tutorial for the job I would appreciate it. Also I have another problem that I really have no idea how to fix regarding this pet. When I first put the new pet in game I had forgotten to delete the original mesh and so I had this strange overlay of my mesh and the old one giving my bird a wierd dual beak effect which has persisted in the pic when choosing the pet even though I have since fixed the problem. So I would love to know how to get that pic to display properly in thet choosing the pet window. Also I am still having some trouble getting the wings to display properly...they just look a bit odd kinda wierdly sticking out from the body and the things I have tried to fix the problem have not worked. I have tried pulling the mesh in some where the wings meet the body but that didn't work, I tried shrinking the wings a bit thinking maybe they were just large...anyway I am just not sure what to do about it here are a couple more screenies that show the wing situation pretty well.
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 7:20 AM
Please, attach your file to this thread so that people have a better chance of figuring out what's wrong .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 6:19 PM
Okay attached!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  crow attempt1.rar (934.0 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 9:47 PM Last edited by wiccadwitch : 11th Jun 2007 at 10:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
I was going to clone the parrot mesh to take a look, but I can't find it...

So this is just a guess, but well worth a try.

Try using UniMesh instaed of any of the built-in export/import options in SimPE.

I would suspect that the parrot's wings use multiple joint assignments, just like body meshes do. If those get lost, the mesh will become distorted.

None of the export/import options in SimPE support those in a way that is compatable with MilkShape, so UniMesh is the best way to go.

I have the unimesh plugin for milkshape so how do I use that for importing and exporting meshes? I have no idea and i have looked through the unimesh tools on milkshape and have not found anything that looks appropriate to what you are saying I should do. There is an option in milkshape for unimesh importer and exporter but when I try to use it I get errors saying it could not open the file for some reason. I looked in SimPE for an export option with the right file extension for the unimesh but did not see one. So I cant export using the unimesh file type from SimPE unless there is something for unimesh that I do not have. I have the most recent version of SimPE as far as I know. The wing distortion somehow got fixed a while back but now it is happening again after I made a few more alterations to the mesh so I really would like to know how to fix it. Thanks!