Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 12:07 AM
Default How to assign bones properly on Milkshape and Blender?
I'm a total noob when it comes to technical stuff like this,I don't know how to assign bones or even how they're supposed to look. When I had tried to assign it the arms are stuck in some sort of t-pose while examining the outfit in Bodyshop and the outfit doesn't stick and move along with the body.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 2:16 AM
Ok..so you'll need this...
http://modthesims.info/t/462641

Then you wanna read here...
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=179177

And you definitely want these 3 by CatofEvilGenius!
http://modthesims.info/browse.php?t...&gs=1&f=38&gs=1

Now go learn and have fun.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Ok..so you'll need this...
http://modthesims.info/t/462641

Then you wanna read here...
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=179177

And you definitely want these 3 by CatofEvilGenius!
http://modthesims.info/browse.php?t...&gs=1&f=38&gs=1

Now go learn and have fun.

Thank you,I actually managed to fix the t-pose by removing the body and reimported it from the gmdc file. Do any of them mention how you could fix the outfits leaving the sim's body whenever they move around?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 6:14 PM
Well, if the new clothing is not assigned to the proper body bones, it won't move along it.
Your new outfit needs to have the same bones, assigned the same way as the body of the age you are making.
When I was looking up tutorials for you, I found this one..but it is about hair. Though you'll find useful information, so take a look..
https://serenity-fall.dreamwidth.org/1813.html

I wish someone knows of a body bone assignment tutorial, because even though *I* know how, explaining it is rather complicated! More complicated than actually assigning bones.

Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 9:49 PM
Well, if the new clothing is not assigned to the proper body bones, it won't move along it.
Your new outfit needs to have the same bones, assigned the same way as the body of the age you are making.
When I was looking up tutorials for you, I found this one..but it is about hair. Though you'll find useful information, so take a look..
https://serenity-fall.dreamwidth.org/1813.html

I wish someone knows of a body bone assignment tutorial, because even though *I* know how, explaining it is rather complicated! More complicated than actually assigning bones.

Thank you for the tutorial,i'll try looking and asking around for any tips or tutorials explaining how body assignments work because i'm still confused about them but that tutorial looks helpful.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 1:18 AM
For clothes (and most other CAS projects) you should always extract the GMDC (right-click the resource and click "extract", NOT the "export" button at the bottom), because then you get the skeleton and the base mesh you extracted properly assigned. You can of course use the base mesh as a template for the bone assigning if you're making a different mesh.

The tutorials explain the method in more detail.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 1:36 AM
The Export button gives you the obj mesh, which has no joints, yeah. Though, this is what you do when you want the BEDDING template. (But you knew that)

Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 2:58 AM
The OBJ exporter sometimes does weird things like moving the entire UVmap down or sideways. No idea why this happens (mostly with CAS items), but it's annoying...

Good luck if you start out with an OBJ - I've done some bone assignments to full-body OBJs and it's a nightmare...
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 3:03 AM
Tell me about it!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 11:53 AM
I actually from-scratch assigned my first body mesh (a conversion from adult to child), because I probably skipped some very important details that would've made things much easier... I've made clothing meshes since, but they're few and far apart (time-wise), and I prefer making other things. They're just one of the things I struggle doing. I know the principles and the how-to's behind clothing meshing, but anything above infant (which, weirdly, I can manage most of the time) I prefer not to do. But bone assignments from scratch for accessories and hair - no problem! I think I just got an aversion for the whole bodymeshing thing way back when. Or perhaps it's just the fact that I've never bothered learning Milkshape properly. I hate the meshing tools in that program, and except for simple adjustments, I do most of my meshing in other programs and import to MIlkshape later. Not so easy to do that with body meshes...
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 6:20 PM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 29th Apr 2018 at 6:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I actually from-scratch assigned my first body mesh (a conversion from adult to child), because I probably skipped some very important details that would've made things much easier... I've made clothing meshes since, but they're few and far apart (time-wise), and I prefer making other things. They're just one of the things I struggle doing. I know the principles and the how-to's behind clothing meshing, but anything above infant (which, weirdly, I can manage most of the time) I prefer not to do. But bone assignments from scratch for accessories and hair - no problem! I think I just got an aversion for the whole bodymeshing thing way back when. Or perhaps it's just the fact that I've never bothered learning Milkshape properly. I hate the meshing tools in that program, and except for simple adjustments, I do most of my meshing in other programs and import to MIlkshape later. Not so easy to do that with body meshes...

What makes bone assignations so hard to do? I'm not trying to say that's easy to do,i'm just curious because when I tried to I got t-pose arms with the head detached from the mesh and outfits leaving the sims' bodies.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 7:36 PM
The how-to is easy. The difficult part is to get everything right, and sometimes it can be a lengthy process if you have a lot of assigning to do, or if there's a complicated area.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The how-to is easy. The difficult part is to get everything right, and sometimes it can be a lengthy process if you have a lot of assigning to do, or if there's a complicated area.

Do you have any examples to show how difficult it could be?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 11:01 PM
Infant meshes. If you think it's difficult when you have all the bone names, try fixing up a mesh where most of the joints are named "joint1", "joint2", etc. instead of "head", "Neck", etc. Particularly if the mesh you're using doesn't have bone assignments at all.

I'd assume high-poly meshes and meshes with geometry in strange places that don't quite go together with the setup of the TS2 skeleton are challenges, too.

As long as you're working with ingame meshes, it shouldn't be too hard.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 11:11 PM
The only time I had to do bone assignment completely from scratch, was like you simmer22...one of my very first one. I was making a doll, using the infant mesh, but had it as an obj. I had to import the teddy bear, and move it aside (out of the way) and try to imitate all bones...That took long. And if I remember well, someone came to my rescue, a much more experienced mesher (probably Rebecah) to fix the chin/mouth part that went crazy when a toddler interacted with it. (as you can see, it is extremely ugly.)
Now I know better than starting with an obj mesh...
Screenshots

Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 12:47 AM
The only time I had to do bone assignment completely from scratch, was like you simmer22...one of my very first one. I was making a doll, using the infant mesh, but had it as an obj. I had to import the teddy bear, and move it aside (out of the way) and try to imitate all bones...That took long. And if I remember well, someone came to my rescue, a much more experienced mesher (probably Rebecah) to fix the chin/mouth part that went crazy when a toddler interacted with it. (as you can see, it is extremely ugly.)
Now I know better than starting with an obj mesh...

You've done most of that by yourself? Great job, I really need learn more about bone assignments unfortunately I can't find any reliable sources to learn from.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 1:02 AM
I know, it is terrible that there don't seem to be a tutorial dedicated to this. I have learned bit by bit, trials and errors. But the hair tutorial I linked? This should get you started. because it basically tells you why and what to assign and where. Click here, click there..the bone colors, the fact that you can tell a vertice to be assigned to more than one bone etc.

Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 10:07 AM
I know, it is terrible that there don't seem to be a tutorial dedicated to this. I have learned bit by bit, trials and errors. But the hair tutorial I linked? This should get you started. because it basically tells you why and what to assign and where. Click here, click there..the bone colors, the fact that you can tell a vertice to be assigned to more than one bone etc.

I could always learn from the more experienced creators. Do you prefer working with Sims 2 or 3? 3 is too slow to me.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 4:42 PM
I never really learned to create for TS3. All I did was small clothing mesh changes. Texturing is quite different in TS3, and that part was too..well, let's say I was not interested to learn a new! I prefer creating for The Sims 2.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 8:51 PM
I never learned to create for TS3, though I did read several tutorials to figure out how to extract items and use some basic functions in S3PE and TSRW. I've made a few objects for TS4 with S4S, but at least one of them didn't quite work ingame. Showed up fine, but suddenly was set as too big to work in most spaces (4x4 grids or some such?). I do know how to extract items, though. If I'd bothered to sit down and read some tutorials I'd probably manage to get the hang of it, but I don't play the games as much as TS2, and when I play I usually get by with the ingame objects.

I prefer creating for TS2, probably because I'm used to it, because I play the game more (it's friendlier to my computer, TS3+4 lag like crazy), and because I've been creating various items since 2007-ish, so I've accumulated a lot of knowledge in SimPE, Photoshop, and at least 4 different meshing programs over the past 11 years.