Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 11:40 AM
Default For Sims, By Sims
I've recently discovered exactly what I've been looking for in a neighbourhood "story", if you will.

For Sims By Sims neighbourhoods are exactly what they sound like, neighourhoods about sims, run by sims, for other sims. They are much deeper than your average neighbourhood story, and can even connect through the SUN.

Its a great inisight into a different kind of simming.

A few FSBS neighbourhoods:
Simmerville
Simmington Hills
Maple Grove
Apple Valley
Blueberry Bluff
and (warning, shameless plug) Ashby Falls

More FSBS Hoods
Skasimlaki
Sims Weekly World News (Three Lakes here)
Simview Valley
Haven
Rainbow Ridge
Mustang Valley
Arbor Falls
Ellicott
West Forks
Northwood

So, do you have a FSBS hood?
Are there any FSBS hoods you enjoy?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 12:20 PM
I've never heard of this before - I just looked through those links and I'm amazed at the extent of the projects! Makes me want to do something a bit like this... :D
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 1:37 PM
Yeah, they're pretty cool - I personally like Apple Valley, but it's not updated frequently.

Another sims-to-sim site is Skasimlaki - but i'ts also not frequently updated.

Currently playing HP's Uber Megahood - check out http://simstate.wordpress.com
Forum Resident
#4 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 3:05 PM
Is there a site where the rules or guidelines are suggested anywhere? It sounds like a really interesting thing to try and regulate!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 12:45 AM
simstate - Thanx I'll add that one to the list at the top.

Gemmareno - it's pretty much make your own rules lol, you need to come up with your own laws etc for your own town, but check out any of the links to get an idea of how it works. Most of the towns take parts from each other to create something unique, so if you find something you like, encorporating it into your town is ok.

Personally, I've been running my hood like this for a long time, but I've only just recently made my website like this, having a website just helps me keep track of everything, sure, I hope other sims get enjoyment out of it, but mosly its my own personal record of my town and its a great tool for getting to know sims in neighbouring towns.
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:47 AM
Got a new link for you - http://www.simsweeklyworldnews.info/

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 5:20 AM
Thanx again!
#8 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 2:43 PM
How do you make such good webpages. All I know is HTML and the websites I make suck! It sounds pretty cool and I would love to do one but I'm not good at websites.
P.S-Do you have to pay to get them on the internet?

Yes, I am a noob!
Really don't like the merge. But what can I do!
Simview Valley|MrMan's LJ
Want Anything? Just Ask!
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrMan212
How do you make such good webpages. All I know is HTML and the websites I make suck! It sounds pretty cool and I would love to do one but I'm not good at websites.
P.S-Do you have to pay to get them on the internet?

Most of them are free - you can sign up for free at Wordpress.Com, Blogger.Com or a bunch of other providers. Most of the free ones have templates and faq to help you set up your own webpage.

#10 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:22 PM
Thanks Simstate! :D

Yes, I am a noob!
Want Anything? Just Ask!
#11 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 10:27 PM
I made my own now. I just started today so it doesn't have that much stuff. I haven't even started playing yet. I've just been making up the laws and stuff. I think it is supposed to be here :thumb:

Yes, I am a noob!
Want Anything? Just Ask!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 11:39 PM
MrMan212, thats great you've decided to start your own FSBS hood site! I see you've put a lot of thought into your laws, it all looks great so far!
#13 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 12:29 AM
Thanks goforfink! I'm about to start making all my families and buildings now.

Yes, I am a noob!
Want Anything? Just Ask!
Test Subject
#14 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 1:26 AM
I've always wanted to do something like that. At some point I plan to create a new neighborhood with all CAS sims that I can make into Townies if I need to. Then I can appoint people to their jobs, etc. It seems like it would be fun and I've gotten sorta burned out on regular play lately. Maybe I'll start tonight.

Also, I'm having fun looking at all of those links. I love reading people's laws! I never really thought about playing the sims quite that way before.
#15 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 10:01 AM
Ok, I like this a lot, but I am confused.

With taxes and stuff, how do you get the money from the sims to the council or whatever?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 11:49 AM
Shnorlick - I use a money order from MATY for transferring money. It costs 5 simoleons and can be found under miscelaneous in buy mode. Works great for sending money anywhere. (Please note that the above link is for apartment life hacks)

I think you can also get an automatic payment mod somewhere, and just set that up to automatically take a certain amount of money every day or week. Also, there is a checkbook at paladins.

If you dont want to use a hack I'm pretty sure theres just a cheat code you can type in to take money from family funds.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 12:38 PM
I'v always found this type of gameplay really interesting, and I do try to mimic it to a certain degree, I have rules and laws for my sim but nothing is written down. I tried keeping a blog about my sims once but I played more than wrote, so I was always behind with the blogging, which just caused stress and irritation and I ended up hating the the whole blog thing. But I love reading about other people's cities, and I love how detailed their games are.
#18 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 5:36 PM
Never heard of this before, thanks! I'll check them out!
#19 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 5:42 PM
How do you get started? I mean, do you build a load of houses and community lots to start with? How many sims do you start with generally?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 1:44 AM
I started with just one family, but you could play it like a prosperity challange and have 2, 3, 4 or even 5 families. Its really up to you! I found the one family caused enough problems on thier own lol (they are TERRIBLE parents).

As for community lots, again, there are many things you can do, such as
* Use the funds from taxes to build community lot
* Have a Mayor, who owns the deeds to all community lots (and recieves the taxes etc to be used to build the lots)
* Have certain rules for a community lot to be built, ie. every 5th baby born merrits 1 community lot, or every new season there is a new community lot etc
* JUST BUILD THEM!

I personally chose the last one, after I found it took WAY too long to collect enough mone from taxes to build what I wanted. Thats probably partially because there is only one family paying anything (the orphanage doesnt pay any taxes, I thought that would be a bit unfair on the kids).

If your not sure, try a few things out, you will soon find something you like
#21 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 2:27 AM
I just started out with some community lots and then everybody pays their taxes to the mayor and he pays salaries and builds more. That's just what I do.So I kinda have the second one and the last one.

Yes, I am a noob!
Want Anything? Just Ask!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 10:33 PM
I think the idea of various sim towns interacting is really great. I love that other cities can contribute to your town's orphanage. Couple of questions, how does the immigration work? And I'm still confused on what is a SUN city vs a FSBS city.

I have played with my sims having rules as well as random events for a while. Then JadeElliot (been too long as I can't remember the spelling) really inspired me to add into that mix a more integrated town economic system. I've been playing that way ever since.

For my new post apocalyptic town, I've been inspired by your links to create a site to keep all the info organized. Although my site will be less detailed and with more spelling errors. What a much better system than scraps of paper flung around my desk. A lot more work as well. But I think it lends itself to a slower pace of playing and I like that. Hopefully it won't be as stressful for me as it was for ani_.

BTW, sadly my town can not give to your town's orphanage drive as it's still very young and broke.
#23 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 11:06 PM
How do you get random events? Isn't there some kind of mod or something?

Yes, I am a noob!
Want Anything? Just Ask!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 31st Mar 2009 at 12:00 AM
Basically you write random events and then draw for them.

Here's a setup from JadeEliott so you get a better idea. And here's a simpler one. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want, although I prefer a little more complicated or detailed as it can be more interesting.

But still there is something to be said, imho for adding any randomness to the game. For those who like randomness anyway.

For my new town, in order to get the population up I'm adding a new person at the beginning of each sim week. To randomize this I have a list of different possible people (nurse, thief, cannibal, teacher). I assign each one a card from a deck of cards and then I'll draw to see who is arriving. Surprise! The new voodoo priestess has arrived.
#25 Old 31st Mar 2009 at 12:04 AM
Thanks Scout :thumb:

Yes, I am a noob!
Want Anything? Just Ask!
Page 1 of 3