Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 3:03 PM Last edited by moppetliz : 8th Dec 2015 at 1:35 AM.
Default Hair: Removing extra textures, ages
Big apologies if I'm not posting this in the right place! I'm brand-spanking new to the forum, and I've literally been searching on this for two days now...

After installing TS2 on a new box and working out all the "stuck in 800x600" kinks and so forth, I'm starting a total rebuild of my CC/Downloads folder, but I've had a brain freeze-- When it comes to binning hairs, how can I tell whether there are extra textures or unnecessary ages in the file? For extra textures, is it simply clicking each .txtr in SimPE and seeing one that's differently shaped (and looks like it would round out to be one of the ubiquitous toddler bowl cuts), or is there more to it? I've seen tutorials on how to remove these, but I'm not exactly sure how to find them in the first place, and I'd rather ask a stupid question than fry my DLs.

Obviously I could simply try them all on in CAS and age around a bit, but I doubt that's the standard practice...unless it is. Like I said, brain freeze.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: After over a week this one may not get a reply, but thanks so much to everyone who has taken a peek to see if you might know the answer!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Jun 2016 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Liz
Big apologies if I'm not posting this in the right place! I'm brand-spanking new to the forum, and I've literally been searching on this for two days now...

After installing TS2 on a new box and working out all the "stuck in 800x600" kinks and so forth, I'm starting a total rebuild of my CC/Downloads folder, but I've had a brain freeze-- When it comes to binning hairs, how can I tell whether there are extra textures or unnecessary ages in the file? For extra textures, is it simply clicking each .txtr in SimPE and seeing one that's differently shaped (and looks like it would round out to be one of the ubiquitous toddler bowl cuts), or is there more to it? I've seen tutorials on how to remove these, but I'm not exactly sure how to find them in the first place, and I'd rather ask a stupid question than fry my DLs.

Obviously I could simply try them all on in CAS and age around a bit, but I doubt that's the standard practice...unless it is. Like I said, brain freeze.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: After over a week this one may not get a reply, but thanks so much to everyone who has taken a peek to see if you might know the answer!

I looked at a maxis hair texture file, and they have the textures for adult, elder and toddler. In the case I studied, adult included teen, child, and both adult types. Sooooooo I'm guessing that means that mabye it IS necessary to have the toddler one two, because otherwise the toddlers wouldn't have any textures for that hair, and would proobably have a see-through head. I think it's just so that the game can read what belongs to what stage, so by having the elder file there it allows it to know to give the grey texture when an elder? I really think I am mistaken however!
I get the feeling this is not what you where asking for though? :O
And of course I'm completely guessing here I barely have any experience with all this

EDIT: When I say I looked at the texture file, I mean the adult texture file, and that one included the toddler one.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 3:21 AM
Thanks very much for giving it a shot and taking the time to share your thoughts! I haven't had any luck figuring this thing out yet, and it's been pretty frustrating--because I just know there are a million people out there (give or take a hundred) with the answer, if only I can figure out how to ask the question correctly.

Every hair texturing or binning tutorial I've seen makes sure to mention removing those unnecessary texture and age files, but none of them goes on to spell out which ones those might be or how I should go about doing it. Maybe that's because they find that part too obvious to bother going into, but... (>_<)

Womp, womp.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 7:47 PM Last edited by 98675 : 17th Jun 2016 at 7:59 PM.
Thanks very much for giving it a shot and taking the time to share your thoughts! I haven't had any luck figuring this thing out yet, and it's been pretty frustrating--because I just know there are a million people out there (give or take a hundred) with the answer, if only I can figure out how to ask the question correctly.

Every hair texturing or binning tutorial I've seen makes sure to mention removing those unnecessary texture and age files, but none of them goes on to spell out which ones those might be or how I should go about doing it. Maybe that's because they find that part too obvious to bother going into, but... (>_<)

Womp, womp.

Aaaaah!
Okay could you show me a tutorial in witch you found them saying this, and link it and see if I can understand? :D
I would really love to help!

EDIT: Oooh I DID find this witch in words to me sounds KIIIND of like what you were asking, the first comment after the tutorial itself. It's got an answer afterwards. It talks about the ''Extra textures'' thing....
http://modthesims.info/t/150742
(Oh I just realized that is about putting it in the custom section. Not what we're looking for. I didn't see any mention of deleting extra files though, let's look for another!)

Also, this is out of subject, but I found this witch looks pretty cool!
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=152943

I'll keep looking!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 8:04 PM Last edited by 98675 : 17th Jun 2016 at 9:27 PM.

Womp, womp.

You know what? I'm going to grab a maxis mesh, and delete the hair that's different. For example that toddler one, the whirlpool-like one you mentioned. I'll include pictures.

EDIT: AAAAAAH, I THINK I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!
Okay so the unneccesary texture's would obviously (I think :P) be the ones that aren't linked to the mesh because there IS no mesh for that age group.
So, if that hairstyle you want to bin, CHECK if for example the toddlers also share that mesh. And they aren't a regular maxis one. However, if they ARE a maxis one, then that means you can simply delete the texture! Because they aren't using a custom mesh, so basically there's just an extra texture in the file. Does that make any sense? I hope so, and that I'm right :D
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 10:00 PM

Womp, womp.

Oooooooooooh LIIIIIIIIiiiiiiizzzz!!!
http://www.thesimsresource.com/tuto...hair%20recolors

Is that what you were looking for?