Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 4:47 PM Last edited by exlibrisas : 7th Mar 2015 at 7:32 PM.
Default Dense realistic worlds and custom rabbit holes for custom careers
Hey guys and girls!
I don`t start threads often. So please forgive me if I started this one in a wrong category, but I think I`m at least on a right track.
So. I need your help. And I have some questions.
TS4 is out but IMHO it is now a big pile of brown stinky residue and it will take a few years for this game to become playable. So I`m sticking with TS3. I want to enhance my gameplay with mods/towns/things like that and I have a vision but not skills for modding/content creating, unfortunately. So I want to talk about two things.
1. I love EA worlds as they are beautiful and very well designed. But love custom made wolrds even more. There are some masterpeaces out there. But still I can`t find exactly what I want. I wish to find a maximum size world wich would have:
a) Wilderness and open feel of nature around it. I am talking about densely forested distant terrain and heavily wooded area around the city as well as some open feeld spaces. I want there to be interesting lots like abandoned horror house in woods or cave. Various plants and follage should be there too becouse usually TS3 worlds look very bland as there are rearly any grass, shrubs and so on. Some small stony/waterry areas would also be great.
b) Dense, dense, DENSE residental area. If you look at a satelite photos of any American city there are hundreds of acres of densely crowded residental houses. OK, I know that it is not easy to do that becouse TS3 is a PC performance killer, but I`ve seen some worlds with incredible density (London, NYC) and they ran quite well on my outdated system (not a laptop, however). Sadly, London isn`t polished and NYC is a bit not my type so I didn`t play those maps a lot and I am still looking for an ultimate world. But density of lots is a thing I want becouse in almoast every single custom/EA world houses are scattered around. I am not necesserally speaking about very large area by size but about dense, realistic areas (30 rsidental lots packed together, may be).
c) City center with scyscrapers. There are lots of worlds with that and the only problem I find is just low quality textured custom scyscrapers. Fairhaven City is a MASTERPEACE, however those low textured buildings give me headache.
b) Area with 5 or more cheaper apartment lots.
d) Industrial area. I don`t mind dummy/decorative stuff (Fairhaven City does it right) as long as those are not of such a low quality.
Now don`t get me wrong, I`m NOT asking to make such a world but I ask you, guys, if there is something like this already made becouse I`ve been searching and searching... Never found my completely perfect city. I am sticking to Red County and Alpine County as theese are the best I could find. But density of residental area is not quite as I want. Yes, I`m a perfectionist.
2. Custom rabbit holes for custom careers. I know people hate rabbit holes, but IMO it is one of the best things implemented in a TS games (*covers from rotten tomatoes*). It gives realism as a sim goes to a building resembling that activity. I really don`t need to see surgeons performing surgery/doing autopsy or nurses rushing through hallways in hospitals and so on. There are a lot of custom careers but not a lot of custom rabbit holes fitting for theese careers. I don`t mind having psychologist/therapist or whatever carrer in hospital or fashion designer/bookkeeper jobs in business building but I really don`t want to see preasts/construction workers working in city halls or airline workers doing their jobs at business complex... Wouldn`t it be great to be a simple cunstruction worker and work in an actual construction site rabbit hole?
Sorry for my looong post. Theese are my questions: Where can I find city/town like that? Is it even possile to have about 100 lots in neighborhood? And is there any way to make/mod/download custom rabbit holes for custom careers such as factories for factory workers or airports (yah, I know, but still) for pilots/airline workers?
And forgive me for my english. No hate. Peace.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 6:46 PM Last edited by Arsil : 28th Feb 2015 at 9:44 AM.
I can't help you with the city (you must have a hell of a gaming PC to handle that),
but I'm interested in trying to do a custom rabbit hole. I think it will be challenging
for anyone to do a proper mesh, I was thinking of using a rabbit hole door plus a
regular building. Unfortunately the only ones I've found (at NRaas) have a very
annoying graphical glitch. If you (generic) know of a fixed version (presuming they
are free to use/modify/redistribute, I haven't found info about that) I'd like to try.
I might try to fix the door myself, but my meshing skills are very low, so my chances
of success are very slim.

I like the psychologist example you did, I pictured something like this: a regular
building in a community lot, with a rabbit hole door inside that leads to the
antechamber of a room hidden with a marker (the proper study).

The rabbit hole could have three options:
- join/quit psychologist career
- work (if registered as psychologist)
- take a visit (only available if there's a psychologist working inside)
The pay for the job could be 0 (or very low) and the psychologist gets paid when
someone takes a visit. This is all speculation, I haven't checked how rabbit holes
attract visitors, but I think it's doable. The real problem might be to specify a custom
rabbit hole as "home" for the career, IIRC the game use an enum (a fixed data
type that usually doesn't allow new elements) to list all rabbit holes. Anyway, if
someone find me a door (legally and with all permission) I'd like to try. In theory
there's no need to have permission to modify it, the door can simply be a requirement
(all it takes is override its script), but I'd rather have complete freedom is possible.

Here's the graphical glitch of the rabbit hole door I was talking about:
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 7:47 PM
Yah, imagine psychiatrist career with non rabbit hole Asylum full of crazy sims... And no, my PC is pretty crap, but playable in dense towns. Exept for loading textures, it takes a while and annoys when things don`t stay loaded but reload again every time I move camera.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 3:07 AM
You might try Ravenswood. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=8156530 It has the density and the wilderness (Which are the hard parts) but you'll have to add in the city center and possibly the industrial area yourself. I recommend these http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=546979 to add some variety to the standard LN highrises.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 3:26 AM
Not sure if this will help you out but here are instructions for building Interactive Community Lots documented by one of the NRaas Members using Zerbu's Ultimate Career Mod. Links for RH Doors and Rugs are included.

Also, here is a listing of Recommended Careers that can be used with those.

If this isn't exactly what you are looking for perhaps it will give you some more ideas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 12:15 PM
OK, I try to make my own world, but I SUCK so much on CAW. I try to put forests on Twinbrook`s distant terrain, but I can`t avoid floating trees. My terrain sculpting and blending it with distant terrain sucks so hard too.
I want to make neighborhood and fill it with rabitt holes perfect for Nraas careers, like making a factory with warehouse wich looks like factory for coresponding career, not criminal hodeout - they`ll have their own. Ech, it`s gonna be nightmare...