Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#7651 Old 16th May 2012 at 8:59 PM
Well, that's story, isn't it? I created a situation like that for myself - the couple in question weren't supposed to get married because, as backstory, they both came from an isolated, inbred community; so inbred that they had to arrange matches and keep careful track of their genealogy to keep the bad recessives from taking over. They were all supposed to breed out now that the outside world had found them. But I quickly realized that Ernest and Sag Ann had been raised expecting to marry each other and that they weren't nearly as thrilled by the sudden expansion of their genetic possibilities as everybody else. After Ernest started running away from the girl I was trying to set him up with whenever she came onto a lot (I had her do a campus walk once and I swear, I saw him exiting precipitously as she entered several times!) I gave up and let them get together on condition, in story, that he get his tubes tied. But then when they got married and started the have baby wants, I realized that adoption wasn't going to be good enough for me - I was invested enough in them that I had to mix those genes. So then I had to cheat him into an alien pregnancy and try for a baby (which took, thank goodness) in the interval between conception and pop, explaining that the aliens had untied his tubes in the process of impregnating him. And now I can't give them any more kids, but fortunately they mostly seem satisfied with the two boys they got in that transaction. And honestly, so am I - they're great kids, and since one of them is half-brother to every alien kid who's ever going to be born in the hood, connecting him to them personally has become a game goal. Only they kind of wistful over other people's girls...

So the point here is that if you follow where the sims want to go and deal with the difficulties, it keeps the game interesting and gives you story possibilities. But if your existing families are that entangled, it's probably time to introduce some new CAS sims and let people hook up with townies, or get some adoptees, to keep your genes diverse.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#7652 Old 16th May 2012 at 9:07 PM
I have a very stupid question which probably has an obvious response... How2make new thread? DX
Mad Poster
#7653 Old 16th May 2012 at 9:23 PM
Go to the Sims2 Discussion index page.

At the top there's a section for Popular topics, followed by a section for sticky topics, followed by the main section of random, transient topics.

Underneath the Popular topics section and also down at the very bottom of the page are buttons, on the left, that say "New Thread."

Don't feel dumb; I often have to hunt for this kind of thing, because there's so much stuff on the page my eyes won't sort it properly.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#7654 Old 16th May 2012 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
But if your existing families are that entangled, it's probably time to introduce some new CAS sims and let people hook up with townies, or get some adoptees, to keep your genes diverse.

They are getting very interrelated - I started out with 4 CAS couples who had a total of 25 five children, 14 of which married each other, so to speak. So, from now on, until they can trace their heritige from these original sims back to just one great-grandparent, they can't marry each other, only CAS sims, townies or the new AL families I've just added to my game.

It's just when Nat and Adah practically threw themselves at me it was very hard to put my foot down.

Something like:
Nat: But Bella got to go out with her almost-cousin! It's not fair!
Me: Harrison is in no way Bella's almost-cousin. About the only family relationship I can see is that Bella's uncle is Harrison's step-dad's brother. But that's related by marriage several times. And steps. So stop moaning and go and find yourself a nice townie. Anyway, Adah's still not sure if she's gay or not, so just leave her to figure that out by getting pregnant to a townie boy two years older than her.

I digress...
Alchemist
#7655 Old 18th May 2012 at 4:12 PM
I keep seeing CC described as 'pookleted' and wondered what that meant.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7656 Old 18th May 2012 at 4:17 PM
Pooklet is a creator of (among other things) very nice hair textures and a set of particular colours. Thus, a "Pookleted" hair is a hair that has been retextured with Pooklet's textures, and often recoloured to match Pooklets other hairs.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Alchemist
#7657 Old 19th May 2012 at 3:11 AM
Thanks.
Mad Poster
#7658 Old 19th May 2012 at 4:18 AM
Okay, so I've had a few outings to my first owned business now, and the owner behaves inconsistently. Most of the time she either serves drinks at the bar or plays music for tips, but on one outing she wandered from point to point aimlessly and my sims had to tend bar themselves. Fortunately they were friends of her son's and I could say they were helping out. Any suggestion what the difference is and whether there's anything I can do about it?

Inventor
#7659 Old 19th May 2012 at 7:44 AM
@Peni , I run a lot of businesses , but I cheat my arse of to do it, mostly a zillion Squinge mods. Had you played the lot as the owner prior to visiting it? And if so , do you have employees and what were they assigned to do and what was the owners task , if any ? I run a bunch of clubs/restaurants and if , as the owner , you assign sims to bartend, host(ess) , chef, waiter/waitress , barista or sales they will continue to do that when you visit the club with sims that don't own it. I'm not sure about restocking as I use a simlogical mod for that and I'm not sure about cleaning up as that gets done by a combo of wait staff, the owner, neat sims and using influence. I never assign anyone to do either of those tasks. I also never have the owner with a particular task , I'll let them do some sales initially , get a badge or three , but after that they just socialize and let the employees do it all. My businesses always have a manager and the manager always has an assigned task , almost always sales. I never use the watch business/run business option , whatever it's called. The owner stays until their needs require attending to and then they shut it down. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Mad Poster
#7660 Old 19th May 2012 at 2:16 PM
It's a small club and the owner has no employees so far. She bought the empty lot and went to it with her son, I built it, and I put them to work. It consists solely of a restroom, small bar, three games (pinball, darts, and the electronic gaming rig attached to a TV), and four instruments. During the set-up session Luz and her son alternated between selling tickets, tending bar, and playing for tips.

It was only the one time that she was wandering around aimlessly. I would prefer to understand how the businesses are designed to work before I go adding mods.

Mad Poster
#7661 Old 19th May 2012 at 2:53 PM
Can lemonade stands be placed an unowned community lots? If so, will a child or teen (NPC) appear selling the lemonade?

My guess would be 'no' to both Q's, but if it is, is there a mod that allows lemonade to be sold on community lots?
Instructor
#7662 Old 19th May 2012 at 5:10 PM
The only profitable job my owner sims will do without being assigned is restocking and that is only if I am playing customer. You're doing much better than I have Peni.

It would seem sensical for a family to work together on a business but you can't hire family and they won't show up when visiting as a customer.
Mad Poster
#7663 Old 19th May 2012 at 6:24 PM
Okay, so I know this wasn't supposed to happen, but I plunked down various lots from my lot catalog. Later, I noticed that the Pets EP unoccupied lots ONLY were no longer in the catalog. Every other lot I put down is still in the catalog.
How do I get them back? (Not the occupied ones. I have perfectly good clean packages of the Kat and Kim families.) I figure they're somewhere in my Pets files on my hard drive, I just want to be sure I don't copy the wrong stuff. I can't find it on the wiki.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Inventor
#7664 Old 19th May 2012 at 6:54 PM
@Peni , I would hire two employees and assign one to sell and one to bartend. They will continue to perform those functions in a mod free game when you visit the lot as someone other than the owner. Hire sims that have no skills for those positions ( and I would also advise no badges , unless you want an experienced salesperson). The hourly rates you pay will be much smaller that way. The salesperson will gain badges fairly quickly and you will need to stay on top of their wages so they don't call in/quit.

Sell one , or more of the doodads (perhaps instruments) that you purchased to give you the capital to hire the employees. You aren't selling items , so when you get the business perks you don't need the better wholesale price breaks. I would be thinking cash , that infusion will allow the owner to show a profit rather quickly and can be drained from the business or used to expand. I build business's with cheap materials ( 2 simolean carpets for example) and don't purchase any more land than is needed , while keeping future expansion in mind. You can (almost always , build up rather than out , and like the real world that is cheaper as well.

There is no way to assign an employee to play music without Simwardrobes employee musician controller , which works wonderfully. I know , from your posts , you strive for a low mod/mod free game and I certainly respect that , it's too hard for me to play that way. I play , using mods , in a way that I find offers realism. In the real world one can hire someone they don't know at all( other than a resume or interview) to play piano in their lounge. They can not drink green liquid and live longer (although I loves me some Mountain Dew) nor can they stick their finger in a light socket and become energized , and no longer feel hungry. So while I use a zillion mods , I would never let my sims use items of that nature.

Back on topic , the owner ,when not being played , is semi useless in an unmodded game ( and in a modded as well) , the second you have them close the doors( or do anything else) they no longer have the sell or bartend task associated with them. Household members of the business owner will not show up to help(in an unmodded game) in any capacity when visiting the lot as a non owner. So , basically , if you intend to visit the business as a non owner and have it function in a semblance of real life activity , employees are required.Good luck!
Mad Poster
#7665 Old 19th May 2012 at 7:17 PM Last edited by Sunbee : 19th May 2012 at 7:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
Back on topic , the owner ,when not being played , is semi useless in an unmodded game ( and in a modded as well) , the second you have them close the doors( or do anything else) they no longer have the sell or bartend task associated with them. Household members of the business owner will not show up to help(in an unmodded game) in any capacity when visiting the lot as a non owner. So , basically , if you intend to visit the business as a non owner and have it function in a semblance of real life activity , employees are required.Good luck!

Unless you run with Pescado's business mods, in which case the owner does whatever you assigned them to do with the controller. Unfortunately, that doesn't bring in the household members to work. I think there is a family as employees mod. *goes off to google for it* Edit: not updated for AL. I guess there is a reason why I don't have it. It's a Squinge hack if anyone with fewer expansions is reading and interested.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Instructor
#7666 Old 19th May 2012 at 7:21 PM
You move out the business owner temporarily. He can stay with a friend.
THen he can hire family members. Then he joins the family again.

So, you can have a family business and you do not need a mod. (I googled and, also tried, and it worked)

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Mad Poster
#7667 Old 19th May 2012 at 8:49 PM
Ah, so she can hire family members, just not ones who live with her. I was wondering whether she could perhaps hire a daughter-in-law or the son who's still at college. Moving out and in again would generate another $20K that'd have to go somewhere and would feel cheaty, but there might be reasons to do it down the road.

This is a very modest venue at the moment. I'll mostly be experimenting with it. Her husband is still employed and she has a pension check so if she fails as a club owner it's not a big disaster. I want the instruments in there because she retired from the music track, which her husband is still in, and because with the high level of music and dance enthusiasm in this neighborhood people tend to spend a long time at the instruments. If she can't be relied on to tend bar, though, I'm going to have to put some sort of food source on the property soon.

Top Secret Researcher
#7668 Old 20th May 2012 at 5:26 PM
Is there a certain DJ booth youre supposed to use ( or not supposed to use) because I put one in two of my clubs (they're the same one) and no one can be a DJ for it so my clubs are music-less!
Lab Assistant
#7669 Old 20th May 2012 at 11:19 PM
I built a row of apartments (they look like little row houses) and the middle one is higher priced than the two on either side. They were all build the same, same windows, same doors, walls, layout, everything! Is this a normal function of AL or do I just need to keep poking around to see where something is lurking?
Top Secret Researcher
#7670 Old 21st May 2012 at 8:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
Is there a certain DJ booth youre supposed to use ( or not supposed to use) because I put one in two of my clubs (they're the same one) and no one can be a DJ for it so my clubs are music-less!

All I know is that you have the use the gigantor DJ booth, and disc jockeys will come. On unowned community lots.

Random stupid question: Does anyone else feel that Dirk Dreamer is uninteresting? He has the same aspiration as Dustin Broke, dating from the same family of girls, and is pretty much has no plot line attached to him. Yeah, his mom's dead. But he's so...bland.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Scholar
#7671 Old 21st May 2012 at 8:33 AM
I'm digging through my DLs and I've found weird files there, ending with .PAC extension. They turn out to be package files I already have in there, but their name has been shortened to only 3 or 4 first letters and given this extension. I've only noticed this recently, as in: not in all my previous years of playing around with CC.

What's going on? Is it some sort of a backup file type any of TS2 tools creates? Or should I worry?
Mad Poster
#7672 Old 21st May 2012 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
Random stupid question: Does anyone else feel that Dirk Dreamer is uninteresting? He has the same aspiration as Dustin Broke, dating from the same family of girls, and is pretty much has no plot line attached to him. Yeah, his mom's dead. But he's so...bland.

Dirk is in the [never finished] story I wrote for a [never finished] Apocalypse Challenge as a side character, so he's rather near to my heart. I also think he's quite lovely to look at. :lovestruc

Not that he's got a lot of character in my game either. As a side character, he hasn't had much chance to develop one.

However, whether or not a premade captures a particular player's imagination has more to do with the player than the sim. Sims who grab some players are total bores to others, and vice versa.
Instructor
#7673 Old 21st May 2012 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey

Oh I personally love Dirk. He´s one of my favorite pre-made sims. He´s such a nice young man, who always tries to do his best. And he seams to truely like Lillith for who she is so they make an excellent couple despite their differences (and their babies tend to be really cute). That he´s very good looking is also a plus . But yeah, Dustin for example is probably more "interesting" than Dirk, but I don´t always like the most interesting sims the best. Dirk was one of the first pre-made sims I played for a long time, so that might be another reason to why I like him so much.
Mad Poster
#7674 Old 21st May 2012 at 8:21 PM
I agree with dieKristina, Dirk is one of my favorite Pleasantview pre-mades. In my hood because Dirk loved Lilith for who she is, she's mostly dropped the bad girl act. They are both doing very well in their jobs and have a cute child daughter named Luna and Phoebe is a toddler.
Mad Poster
#7675 Old 21st May 2012 at 8:55 PM
I've always considered Dirk (who I've played for, um, two days total, both times the same day) to be Dustin's opposite number - the good boy in love with the bad girl as opposed to the bad boy in love with the good girl. Except that "good" and "bad" are mostly about image for Angela and Lilith, and when you look at Dustin's situation and nice points it seems indicated that the same is true for him (it's not like his life situation leaves him with many viable options to the drug dealer on the corner), so where does that put Dirk?

If I ever play Pleasantview, that's the line I'll take with him in company with his peers - to what extent will each choose style over substance and vice versa; and how much will the society of which they're a part judge them on their real qualities as opposed to those they project? That's the interesting question there.

Nobody is interesting in isolation. Everybody is interesting if approached in the correct frame of mind.

Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: 1000 pages.... time to start a new one!
Page 307 of 1000